Sky - internal strife - Froome vs Wiggins

167891012»

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    ThomThom wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Question from a viewer on Eurosport - why doesn't Wiggins go for green jersey and leave Froome to go for yellow :roll:

People baffle me sometimes. They really do.

It's obvious Wiggins lacks that final support in the leadouts to even think about it as a goal..

Yep, Wiggins would have to leave for a team with a top class sprint lead out train like, say, OPQS. That Cav bloke has the making of a good lead out man.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/richie ... -out-evans

Richie 'the Kingmaker' Porte has his twopennoth in his latest blog for CN...

Irrespective of whatever peeps want to read into what was an extremely clever, carefully-worded and nuanced statement by Surdave (aimed to calm things down for a bit), this is interesting and lays out what is the true state of affairs:

'Sky was also making headlines last week with Bradley and Froomie staking their claim on the Tour leadership. It's a tricky one. You've got the guy who won the Tour last year and had an incredible season last year. But it's my understanding now that Froomie is supposed to be the leader. It is going to depend who has the form at the right time though and that's at the Tour. That's how Sky operates and the Tour is almost two months away. It's not easy for either party - the same thing is happening at BMC with Tejay and Cadel, it just so happens that we have the two best riders in the world and everyone is loving the 'controversy' of it all'
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    This reminds me of that thick of it episode 'spinners and losers' where there is an entire night of ridiculous manoeuvres but they ultimately end up exactly as they were before they even started.
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    Hopefully now MichelleCound will have a large cup of shut the feck up........
  • bockers
    bockers Posts: 146
    Am I the only person who thinks Froome looks like Tintin?
  • chrisday
    chrisday Posts: 300
    bockers wrote:

He always reminds me of the Cat In The Hat. Something about his odd lips.

Wow. That looks weird typed out.
    @shraap | My Men 2016: G, Yogi, Cav, Boonen, Degenkolb, Martin, J-Rod, Kudus, Chaves
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    It's more like the skeleton from The Nightmare Before Christmas.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    bockers wrote:
    No, it's been mentioned before.. Might even be in the lookalikes thread.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Inner Ring's take on the scenario - which IMHO is pretty much spot on.

Perhaps leaving the Giro was the best thing for Bradley Wiggins and Ryder Hesjedal. What next? I don’t know but let’s imagine Wiggins starts the Tour de France. I’ve looked again at the route and here’s a plausible scenario:
    ◾After avoiding accidents in Corsica Team Sky perform well in the Nice team time trial stage allowing Wiggins and Froome to gain a lead on their rivals at BMC, Saxo-Tinkoff, Katusha and more.
    ◾The Pyrenees this year are lite with only one major stage – pictured above – posing a challenge. The Port de Pailhères climb can be ridden at high tempo by Sky’s mountain train and then the Ax 3 Domaines summit finish, a moderate finish of 10km at 6% which Wiggins will like
    ◾Fast forward to the 33km Avranches to Mont St Michel time trial where Wiggins blasts around the flat course in his 55 tooth chainring, taking time on everyone else putting him in the yellow jersey
    ◾The race then rides to the Alps where Chris Froome cannot attack because Wiggins leads the race.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Would it not be plausible for Froome to attack on that Ax summit finish and take sufficient time out of Wiggins to remain in yellow after the TT, or at least be top Sky guy. Then Wiggins will ride diesel high tempo in the alps and Froome can attack everyone on summit finishes if ( big if?) he has the legs.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962

Perhaps leaving the Giro was the best thing for Bradley Wiggins and Ryder Hesjedal. What next? I don’t know but let’s imagine Wiggins starts the Tour de France. I’ve looked again at the route and here’s a plausible scenario:
    ◾After avoiding accidents in Corsica Team Sky perform well in the Nice team time trial stage allowing Wiggins and Froome to gain a lead on their rivals at BMC, Saxo-Tinkoff, Katusha and more.
    ◾The Pyrenees this year are lite with only one major stage – pictured above – posing a challenge. The Port de Pailhères climb can be ridden at high tempo by Sky’s mountain train and then the Ax 3 Domaines summit finish, a moderate finish of 10km at 6% which Wiggins will like
    ◾Fast forward to the 33km Avranches to Mont St Michel time trial where Wiggins blasts around the flat course in his 55 tooth chainring, taking time on everyone else putting him in the yellow jersey
    ◾The race then rides to the Alps where Chris Froome cannot attack because Wiggins leads the race.

What, like Froome couldn't attack Porte at the Criterium International?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Some internal team disagreement could be great for the viewers rather than leaving us with a repeat of the worst GC part of a GT race I have ever seen last year. Except Contador is racing so fan enjoyment somehow or other is guaranteed.

Froome has a contract with Sky until the end of 2014 is any case. Unless he or a team buys it out.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Yeah I think people who think that it will come down to Wiggo/Froome for the tour have forgotten about Contador, I think he may upset the apple cart somewhat
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174

I'd go with it up to the final point. Then I would say Froome as official team leader is free to attack, Wiggins can follow anyone who chases him and Sky are in a perfect position. Froome and Michelle can't complain as Wiggins would be riding a perfect lieutenant's role. If Froome blows himself up (as I still think he is likely to do) Wiggins is well placed to go for the win himself. Any other team would love to be in their position.

Also, it's funny how everyone was saying the Giro was more suited to Wiggins when the routes were announced but now the implication is that the Tour suits him more.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Brainmelt
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver