Sky - internal strife - Froome vs Wiggins

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    And if we end up with a group of favourites 5k from the summit of a mountain and Nibali attacks which one chases him?
    Richie Porte
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,242
    Macaloon wrote:
    And if we end up with a group of favourites 5k from the summit of a mountain and Nibali attacks which one chases him? Is Froome going to risk closing people down and Wiggins extending his lead over him when he rides off in the last couple of k because Froome has done too much?

I don't see this as media generated at - co leaders and see who is strongest may work - or Brailsford may have to give the order that one chases down a danger man right from the first mountain stage.

Can't see Wiggins responding immediately to a serious attack from either Nibali or Froome. So it will be up to Froome to decide if he's happy to hitch a ride on the Wiggo diesel. And I can see its in the interests of Froome to lend a hand to pull back Nibali. Could work out OK if we ignore potentially negative personal dynamics.

It won't be Nibali, it'll be Contador with J-Rod and maybe Valverde following. I can see Froome being massively tempted to go after them immediately even though that may not be in the team's (or even his) best interests.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    So Michelle has been a little bit quite but understand she is on the move, not that I'm stalking her just it says so on her Facebook page. Anyway she has posted this picture with an opening line of "Got to love when you receive a warm & fuzzy fan message like this *SMH*"

Some people are a bit weird at times but guess the sender does not speak English as their first language.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    RichN95 wrote:
    And if we end up with a group of favourites 5k from the summit of a mountain and Nibali attacks which one chases him?
    Richie Porte

Froome can follow anything nibs can do on the kind of climbs the tdf has.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,242
    RichN95 wrote:
    Richie Porte

Exactly. Which was why I suggested it'd be more interesting when Contador attacks. Although on form this year so far, the same would apply to Contador.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:
    Richie Porte

Nibali won't even be at the Tour anyway. The only riders, IMO, who can take Froome on in the mountains are Contador, Rodriguez and Quintana and only Contador won't lose time in the TT
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    So Michelle has been a little bit quite but understand she is on the move, not that I'm stalking her just it says so on her Facebook page. Anyway she has posted this picture with an opening line of "Got to love when you receive a warm & fuzzy fan message like this *SMH*"

Some people are a bit weird at times but guess the sender does not speak English as their first language.

LOL Dan, you are so stalking her, looking her up on FB now...come on man, acceptance is the first step to cure :wink:

That kind of trolling was being dished out to Brad and Cath Wiggins on Twitter, which is why they left it late last year. As for Ms Cound, well frankly she does her own fair share of trolling herself, and its been fairly constant since the Tour - bitching up Brad and Cath Wiggins in more than one cycling mag interview; on Twitter - barbs at Wiggins, Sean Yates, Sky management, calling Wiggins a liar, now even calling Will Fotheringham a liar for an interview he did with Wiggins. Even a ridiculous bitchy tweet about Scott Mitchell's photographs for the Sky site (no doubt she wanted the gig) FFS.

Let me give you one woman's view (mine) on what's going on with another woman (her): she dislikes Wiggins intensely and its actually tipped over the line of virtual obsession. This is about more than her BF getting the Tour gig. She wants Wiggins humiliated publicly over the Tour leadership. Implying that he'll be left out of the Tour team altogether - WTF??

Madame is not known amongst certain cycling fans (who arent all Wiggins fans by any means) as Lady Macbeth, for no reason.

As for Froome I'm afraid that all the cojones he has, appear to be on the bike only.
  • danlikesbikes

LOL Dan, you are so stalking her, looking her up on FB now...come on man, acceptance is the first step to cure :wink:

That kind of trolling was being dished out to Brad and Cath Wiggins on Twitter, which is why they left it late last year. As for Ms Cound, well frankly she does her own fair share of trolling herself, and its been fairly constant since the Tour - bitching up Brad and Cath Wiggins in more than one cycling mag interview; on Twitter - barbs at Wiggins, Sean Yates, Sky management, calling Wiggins a liar, now even calling Will Fotheringham a liar for an interview he did with Wiggins. Even a ridiculous bitchy tweet about Scott Mitchell's photographs for the Sky site (no doubt she wanted the gig) FFS.

Let me give you one woman's view (mine) on what's going on with another woman (her): she dislikes Wiggins intensely and its actually tipped over the line of virtual obsession. This is about more than her BF getting the Tour gig. She wants Wiggins humiliated publicly over the Tour leadership. Implying that he'll be left out of the Tour team altogether - WTF??

Madame is not known amongst certain cycling fans (who arent all Wiggins fans by any means) as Lady Macbeth, for no reason.

As for Froome I'm afraid that all the cojones he has, appear to be on the bike only.

Think its fair to say they both (Cath & Michelle) dislike each other with equal distain. Nut sure yet whether I agree that it out & out benefits both riders and spurs them on to be better. Must admit that I missed out on the fun & games last year between the WAG's & am brining myself (slowly) up to speed to catch up with your level of knowledge.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Not sure the wags help, but I bet Sur Dave and the coaching team are happy enough to let a good bit of niggly competition rile their two GC riders...

As I ve said since January it also means that the other contenders are nt quite sure who they will be facing
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • danlikesbikes
    Certainly keeps things lively thats for sure, wonder if Surdav doesn't mind it as it takes some of the pressure off the team too. Pre Giro its been a quite week or so and gives the press & us the fans/followers something to talk about rather than the mini storm that was 'Di2 is rubbish why doesn't everyone drop it'
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:
    And if we end up with a group of favourites 5k from the summit of a mountain and Nibali attacks which one chases him? Is Froome going to risk closing people down and Wiggins extending his lead over him when he rides off in the last couple of k because Froome has done too much?

I don't see this as media generated at - co leaders and see who is strongest may work - or Brailsford may have to give the order that one chases down a danger man right from the first mountain stage.

Can't see Wiggins responding immediately to a serious attack from either Nibali or Froome. So it will be up to Froome to decide if he's happy to hitch a ride on the Wiggo diesel. And I can see its in the interests of Froome to lend a hand to pull back Nibali. Could work out OK if we ignore potentially negative personal dynamics.

It won't be Nibali, it'll be Contador with J-Rod and maybe Valverde following. I can see Froome being massively tempted to go after them immediately even though that may not be in the team's (or even his) best interests.

You are right not Nibali - thinking of the giro too much - but the point is the same isn't it. Maybe Froome is strong enough to chase everything himself - he'll have to be if its just him and Wiggins with the other favourites because they'll be looking at one of the sky riders to do it.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • ddraver
    - @ddraver
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:

You are right not Nibali - thinking of the giro too much - but the point is the same isn't it. Maybe Froome is strong enough to chase everything himself - he'll have to be if its just him and Wiggins with the other favourites because they'll be looking at one of the sky riders to do it.

Not sure Contador is the rider he was a couple of years ago. No idea why, but he cant seem to sustain his attacks the way he used to!!!! All Team Sky, and the rest, have to do is maintain there climbing tempo and reel him back in. Who gets to the top fastest wins, jumping attacks are meaningless unless you can get one to stick.
    If Froome is in last years climbing form he should win in the mountains, not sure about the overall Yellow.
  • ddraver
    mike6 wrote:
    No idea why, but he cant seem to sustain his attacks the way he used to!!!!

Can think of one reas....ARRRGH!

MUST.NOT! :wink:
    - @ddraver
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Yup, not since he went vegetarian ...
  • chrisday
    chrisday Posts: 300
    RichN95 wrote:

Well, not really - it's the same as it always was: Surdave's just repeating the same line: "it'll be evidence-based, and not made yet". He's clarified there'll be one, not two leaders, and that right now, it's looking like it'll be Froome. But not the same as "it's definitely Froome, so there". Not that it's stopped all media outlets now reporting it as a done deal :)

(All above with caveat that I wasn't sure if you were being sarcy or not!)
    @shraap | My Men 2016: G, Yogi, Cav, Boonen, Degenkolb, Martin, J-Rod, Kudus, Chaves
  • RichN95.
    chrisday wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Well, not really - it's the same as it always was: Surdave's just repeating the same line: "it'll be evidence-based, and not made yet". He's clarified there'll be one, not two leaders, and that right now, it's looking like it'll be Froome. But not the same as "it's definitely Froome, so there". Not that it's stopped all media outlets now reporting it as a done deal :)

"Taking that into consideration and given Chris's step up in performances this year, our plan, as it has been since January, is to have him lead the Tour de France team." is pretty unambiguous.

The "it'll be evidence-based, and not made yet" refers more to team selection in general.

(I don't really do sarcy on the internet - it never really works)
  • chrisday
    chrisday Posts: 300
    RichN95 wrote:
    chrisday wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

"Taking that into consideration and given Chris's step up in performances this year, our plan, as it has been since January, is to have him lead the Tour de France team." is pretty unambiguous.

The "it'll be evidence-based, and not made yet" refers more to team selection in general.

(I don't really do sarcy on the internet - it never really works)

Get what you're saying in terms of where the emphasis on the post-Dauphiné selection is, and I think the honest answer is you could interpret it both ways. Which is prob what DB intended - just it feels to me like he's leaving himself some wiggle room in case Wiggo turns out to be on fire come June.

Having said all that, there's a vanishingly small chance it won't be Froome...
    @shraap | My Men 2016: G, Yogi, Cav, Boonen, Degenkolb, Martin, J-Rod, Kudus, Chaves
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    Question from a viewer on Eurosport - why doesn't Wiggins go for green jersey and leave Froome to go for yellow :roll:
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Pross wrote:
    Question from a viewer on Eurosport - why doesn't Wiggins go for green jersey and leave Froome to go for yellow :roll:

Don't look at the questions some people were asking on the Guardian live Giro blog yesterday.

"Why did Cav leave Sky? He had Eisel to support him. Was his falling out with Wiggins that bad?" :roll:
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Pross wrote:

Don't look at the questions some people were asking on the Guardian live Giro blog yesterday.

"Why did Cav leave Sky? He had Eisel to support him. Was his falling out with Wiggins that bad?" :roll:

Which is why the @ukcyclingexpert Twitter account that sprung up yday is so amusing (suspect a Brit of cycling journalistic persuasion to be behind it)
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Pross wrote:

Which is why the @ukcyclingexpert Twitter account that sprung up yday is so amusing (suspect a Brit of cycling journalistic persuasion to be behind it)

I's been using it for procrastination purposes all day. :D
    Correlation is not causation.
  • epc06
    epc06 Posts: 216
    Seems unthinkable really that a tour winner isnt given the opportunity to defend his crown as team leader, even if Froome is better suited to the route. Cant think this as happened in recent times??...unless Ullrich was TL in 97 ahead of Riis?
  • RichN95.
    EPC06 wrote:
    Seems unthinkable really that a tour winner isnt given the opportunity to defend his crown as team leader, even if Froome is better suited to the route. Cant think this as happened in recent times??...unless Ullrich was TL in 97 ahead of Riis?
    Pereiro wouldn't have been leader in 2007 - Valverde would. Although Pereiro did come 10th (Valverde 6th)
  • epc06
    epc06 Posts: 216
    RichN95 wrote:
    EPC06 wrote:
    Pereiro wouldn't have been leader in 2007 - Valverde would. Although Pereiro did come 10th (Valverde 6th)

yeah, thats true rich
    Wiggins will feel like he has been demoted...well he has
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    wouldn't say demoted... the course suits Froome far more...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    Plus Wiggins chose the Giro.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Pross wrote:

People baffle me sometimes. They really do.

It's obvious Wiggins lacks that final support in the leadouts to even think about it as a goal..
  • danlikesbikes
    ThomThom wrote:
    Pross wrote:

People baffle me sometimes. They really do.

It's obvious Wiggins lacks that final support in the leadouts to even think about it as a goal..

Agree he might not be able to sprint for it form a bunch.

But imagine he drops time say a crash, mechanical, injury able to ride but drops time on a several days whatever really to be not a threat anymore on GC. He/Sky could easily get him in breakaways and sweep up the mid-race points and if his time gap was so low could easily lead a breakaway. If Froome is in Yellow and Wiggins not that far enough up the road, then Sky would not need to chase back to protect Froome but kick it over to the other teams to work for it and Froome would just need to follow the other top GC riders.

Unlikely to happen I know, but not an impossibility

Edit: Extremely unlikely to happen indeed, but if he was down on time in the first week, why not whats for Sky to loose other than possibly a rider for the train.