Sky - internal strife - Froome vs Wiggins

Comments

• nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    Is Froome really 'owed' anything? So he did some useful work on a couple of stages at the 2012 TDF, but he had almost as much of an easy ride as Wiggins did - Sky were that strong, I believe that Wiggins would still have won even if, say, Froome had crashed out instead of Sivtsov. Put it this was if Froome had been busting his ass in support he wouldn't have finished second.

Is Froome really a team player? Forget the 'attack' and posturing last year, he didn't think twice about screwing Porte over in the Criterium International.

Is Froome really having a faultless season? What happened in Tirreno–Adriatico then? Right, he blew it.

As just about everyone has already said, Sky will choose their leader on form at the start of the Tour. Wiggins has every right to be ambitious about that position, and said nothing off-message - although maybe it would have been better to wait until after the Giro. Froome's reaction was very odd - he could have just said: "I agree with Brad, but I intend to prove that I'm the man for the job".
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Friggins...hehe...I crack myself up.
    Friggins?

Created in a cyber Woome no doubt.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    nic_77 wrote:
    Is Froome really a team player? Forget the 'attack' and posturing last year, he didn't think twice about screwing Porte over in the Criterium International.
    He didn't screw Porte over. Porte had no problem with it happening - indeed he said he let the gap go deliberately.

Read the report: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/best-friends-froome-and-porte-one-two-at-criterium-international
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    mroli wrote:
    nic_77 wrote:
    He didn't screw Porte over. Porte had no problem with it happening - indeed he said he let the gap go deliberately.

Read the report: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/best-friends-froome-and-porte-one-two-at-criterium-international

Oh, we're so over this. We're onto KimmageFundGate now....
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    nic_77 wrote:
    Is Froome really 'owed' anything? So he did some useful work on a couple of stages at the 2012 TDF, but he had almost as much of an easy ride as Wiggins did - Sky were that strong, I believe that Wiggins would still have won even if, say, Froome had crashed out instead of Sivtsov. Put it this was if Froome had been busting his ass in support he wouldn't have finished second.

:shock: Watch stage 11 highlights (linked on page 12 I think). Before hauling back Nibali twice, Froome had also reeled in Evans. After the first Nibali catch Froome blew, barely held on to Wiggins group, but recovered enough to catch him again, which is when he went rogue. If that's not busting your ass what is?
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929

You might be over it...

Michelle Cound ‏@michellecound 11m
    @willfoth @mattseaton @inrng there were blatant lies from Brad in your initial story William. Unless you misquoted?
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    mroli wrote:
    nic_77 wrote:

Porte also says there was no plan for it (as did froome) but then his DS portal says that was always the plan. Someone somewhere is telling porkies or it's been misreported. I suspect Froome went for it without it ever being mentioned and Porte being a mate of his didn't want to kick up a fuss post race.
  • Richmond Racer
    nic_77 wrote:

You might be over it...

@willfoth @mattseaton @inrng there were blatant lies from Brad in your initial story William. Unless you misquoted?

:roll: :roll:
  • rickyrider
    rickyrider Posts: 294
    nic_77 wrote:

You might be over it...

RR - you got it. M Cound is just embarrassing herself here. Would LOVE to really know what DB makes of all this...
  • Richmond Racer
    rickyrider wrote:
    nic_77 wrote:

You might be over it...

RR - you got it. M Cound is just embarrassing herself here. Would LOVE to really know what DB makes of all this...

Surdave's only priority for next 3 weeks is keeping Brad on course for the Maglia Rosa, and not going off the rails.

Lady Macbeth's shenanigans wont get much attention from him, I suspect.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    nic_77 wrote:

You might be over it...

It appears that someone has removed the above tweet from her twitter account
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    nic_77 wrote:

You might be over it...

She's like a sad housewife trying to keep up with the Jones's. "But Chris, the Wiggins family has a nice new 4x4, and a new extension, oh and a skipfull of World & Olympic gold medals, and a yellow jersey......why can't we have that?"
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • danlikesbikes
    Daz555 wrote:
    nic_77 wrote:

You might be over it...

She's like a sad housewife trying to keep up with the Jones's. "But Chris, the Wiggins family has a nice new 4x4, and a new extension, oh and a skipfull of World & Olympic gold medals, and a yellow jersey......why can't we have that?"

Substitute sad with protective & I'd agree
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Richmond Racer
    Still waiting for TeamSkyChef and his view. However in the meantime the great Obree has his say

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... rider.html
  • danlikesbikes
    Still waiting for TeamSkyChef and his view. However in the meantime the great Obree has his say

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... rider.html

Good read cheers for posting as he seems pretty level headed.

Not sure I agree with "I think that is right and proper and is what the public demands - and what sport demands. It needs to be a free and open contest, otherwise who will want to watch it?" Pretty sure cycling as per F1, football and all other 'team sports' will be dictated by team orders not an open an free contest.
  • danlikesbikes
    For the latest twitter update we have;

Boskobalaton ‏@BoskoBalaton 4h
    @michellecound @willfoth @mattseaton @inrng I respect that, bt you're acting like the mum of a bullied kid, Chris is 28,cant speak 4himself?

Michelle Cound ‏@michellecound 4h
    @BoskoBalaton @willfoth @mattseaton @inrng everything is getting resolved thanks

Not sure what that means though.
  • danlikesbikes
    For the latest twitter update we have;

Boskobalaton ‏@BoskoBalaton 4h
    @michellecound @willfoth @mattseaton @inrng I respect that, bt you're acting like the mum of a bullied kid, Chris is 28,cant speak 4himself?

Michelle Cound ‏@michellecound 4h
    @BoskoBalaton @willfoth @mattseaton @inrng everything is getting resolved thanks

Not sure what that means though.

Well clearly it means I will tweet something & then delete it as the above tweet & response no longer appear on her timeline (if thats what you call it)
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    Queen of tweet 'n' delete. Sure sign of a loose cannon.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Well, I said after Vuelta 11 CF should move on, but did he listen? No, typical man he didn't! He saw what they promised MC but didn't, now they're doing it to him too. Should have gone when you had the chance.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • Macaloon
    Ms Tree wrote:
    Well, I said after Vuelta 11 CF should move on, but did he listen? No, typical man he didn't! He saw what they promised MC but didn't, now they're doing it to him too. Should have gone when you had the chance.

My admiration for St Christopher effervesces when I hear that this season's wins, and his nominal Tour #1 status, have been achieved in spite of the 'support' of his team.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Macaloon wrote:
    Ms Tree wrote:

My admiration for St Christopher effervesces when I hear that this season's wins, and his nominal Tour #1 status, have been achieved in spite of the 'support' of his team.

How exactly has his team failed to support him so far? I don't follow....
  • Macaloon
    How exactly has his team failed to support him (so far 8)) ? I don't follow....
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Macaloon wrote:
    How exactly has his team failed to support him (so far 8)) ? I don't follow....

:oops:

It's been a long week.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • danlikesbikes
    Looks like the author of the story had tweeted MC for her point prior to going to print

Hi @michellecound can we talk via p.gallagher@independent.co.uk re a Tour prep article I'm writing pls?
    @michellecound Can't seem to DM you at the moment with a query... if there's an email address I could send to...?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited May 2013
    This whole situation is almost all media generated, using Wiggins's tendency to say anything at any time.

Here's what will happen:

Froome will be leader at the Tour. This has always been the plan and he's done everything right so far.
    Wiggins isn't going to soft pedal the time trials - so Froome will be encouraged to attack to gain time over him and, more importantly, others.
    Wiggins won't chase him, but will follow the chasers.
    Wiggins isn't going to attack Hinault style mainly because he doesn't really do that anyway.
    So Wiggins will essentially ride as a Plan B - which causes the opposition problems - rather than as a fully dedicated domestique.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • danlikesbikes
    Who knows, I guess that Sky are waiting to get the Giro out of the way. Wiggo could either win or not and as some suggest not be as a good a form this early & if so he would probably want to push further for defence of the Tour crown.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    RichN95 wrote:
    This whole situation is almost all media generated, using Wiggins's tendency to say anything at any time.

Here's what will happen:

Froome will be leader at the Tour. This has always been the plan and he's done everything right so far.
    Wiggins isn't going to soft pedal the time trials - so Froome will be encouraged to attack to gain time over him and, more importantly, others.
    Wiggins isn't going to attack Hinault style mainly because he doesn't really do that anyway.
    So Wiggins will essentially ride as a Plan B - which causes the opposition problems - rather than as a fully dedicated domestique.

Yes. This.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    RichN95 wrote:

Here's what will happen:

And if we end up with a group of favourites 5k from the summit of a mountain and Nibali attacks which one chases him? Is Froome going to risk closing people down and Wiggins extending his lead over him when he rides off in the last couple of k because Froome has done too much?

I don't see this as media generated at - co leaders and see who is strongest may work - or Brailsford may have to give the order that one chases down a danger man right from the first mountain stage.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Macaloon
    And if we end up with a group of favourites 5k from the summit of a mountain and Nibali attacks which one chases him? Is Froome going to risk closing people down and Wiggins extending his lead over him when he rides off in the last couple of k because Froome has done too much?

I don't see this as media generated at - co leaders and see who is strongest may work - or Brailsford may have to give the order that one chases down a danger man right from the first mountain stage.

Can't see Wiggins responding immediately to a serious attack from either Nibali or Froome. So it will be up to Froome to decide if he's happy to hitch a ride on the Wiggo diesel. And I can see its in the interests of Froome to lend a hand to pull back Nibali. Could work out OK if we ignore potentially negative personal dynamics.