Giro - Pre Race Chat Thread.

Comments

• Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    We've never really seen what happens to Froome when he gets off the leash - he might blow them all away, but he may also crack himself. Bradley usually looks like he will always diesel back (enough) to Nibbles. At Trentino I think he made a tactical mistake in trying to get back too quickly, with no radios and maybe loss of monitors.

To be fair Froome's been off the leash on final climbs several times these year and has hammered away - Oman, T-A, CI and on Sat...

Bradders replacement bike at Trentino had wrong gearing. He was doubly-screwed over.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I wonder if the move to round rings from ovals has made a difference. I know the commentators were saying it's because of the 4 bolt Dura Ace chainset but surely the company that makes them (The name escapes me) would do a Dura Ace version. I wonder if it is sponsor led?
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Not sure if it has made a difference, but can't imagine that Sky would be that dictated too by there sponsors as to what kit they are able/not able to use. Noticed this year that Sky are not having 1 single wheel sponsor but going with that suits them best for each race, so assume they would do the same with riders choice on oval rings too.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Not sure if it has made a difference, but can't imagine that Sky would be that dictated too by there sponsors as to what kit they are able/not able to use. Noticed this year that Sky are not having 1 single wheel sponsor but going with that suits them best for each race, so assume they would do the same with riders choice on oval rings too.

Wiggins has said he's back on the oval rings - also using different wheels (and re-badging them) is pretty standard I thought?
  • danlikesbikes

Wiggins has said he's back on the oval rings - also using different wheels (and re-badging them) is pretty standard I thought?

Rebadging is, but Sky confirmed they are not going with a single wheel supplier this year so they won't need to bother with any rebadging just put on whatever wheels best suit the course.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Richmond Racer

In Wiggo's own words: 'I've come off them silly rings now and back on normal O rings'

:lol:
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872

In Wiggo's own words: 'I've come off them silly rings now and back on normal O rings'

Just checking.. he does mean back on Osymetrics - that's how I interpreted it?
  • Richmond Racer

Just checking.. he does mean back on Osymetrics - that's how I interpreted it?

Yeah - it was just his way of putting it that made me laugh. God knows what words he used when he explained the shift back to manual gears...
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    C4 News - Ireland's Stephen Roche remains the only native English speaker to win the Giro.

That so?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    C4 News - Ireland's Stephen Roche remains the only native English speaker to win the Giro.

That so?

Stephen Roche speaks English? Who knew?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Richmond Racer
    Eh? Hampsten? Sheesh, Hesjedal was winner just 11 months ago!
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Hesjedal was winner just 11 months ago!

Yeah but C4 News got confused by his Scandi sounding name, bless. They've just discovered that cycling is more than John Snow in a fluro-jacket and some trouser clips. :D
    Correlation is not causation.
  • danlikesbikes

Yeah but C4 News got confused by his Scandi sounding name, bless. They've just discovered that cycling is more than John Snow in a fluro-jacket and some trouser clips. :D

To be fair to C4 the only other frame of reference is Boris & TBH he speaks English but his first language is gibberish.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Ok, crashes and illness aside, does anybody think that anybody other than Wiggins , Nibali or Hesjedal can win it?
    Probably not, but you never know as they might end up marking each other out of it … Could leave the door open for someone to get away early and get a lead
    I can’t imagine Hesjedal winning a second time, I think he’ll find it hard to even reach the podium. Scarponi is perhaps the more likely podium candidate, or Henao.
    But I think Dan’s idea of a significant ‘open door’ break occurring on one stage is also a possibility, bringing other riders into contention.

For instance Cunego – although nowadays thought of more as a one-stage rider, he wasn’t that far back in last year’s Giro (6th) and he’ll get less attention from other GC contenders because of team-mate Scarponi. If doing well in the GC, he also doesn’t need to fear the second TT, because it’s basically a hill climb.

I’d also guess that Evans could attempt something which might mean a podium place. Although he supposedly intends to also do the TdF, I imagine the Giro could be where he gives his all, and in the TdF he's then just support for Gilbert. His Italian family/home connections may influence his intentions.

Or it could also be that it isn’t Evans, but same-team Santambrogio who takes advantage of Wiggins and Nibali watching each other and other GC contenders.
    Or someone from another team, like Betancur.

I also think the Giro is more suited to Sam Sanchez than either the TdF or the Vuelta, so he’s another potential winner/podium candidate – just he’s a bit short on results this year to know his form.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    knedlicky wrote:
    Or someone from another team, like Betancur.
    I am very excited to see how Betancur goes in this race. I can definitely see him winning a couple of stages and making the top 5.

Having said that, and I do understand why they've done it, but I really think AG2R would have been better off switching Betancur to the TDF and having Jice Peraud focus on the Giro. In that scenario I'd have fancied the chances of both to make the podium.
  • tailwindhome

To be fair to C4 the only other frame of reference is Boris & TBH he speaks English but his first language is gibberish.

I think what they wanted to say was 'Rider from the British Isles' but have got themselves tied in knots over the British/Irish thing and incorrectly went for 'English speaking'
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    I think what they wanted to say was 'Rider from the British Isles' but have got themselves tied in knots over the British/Irish thing and incorrectly went for 'English speaking'

A very generous interpretation, if I may say so. Must be horrible for non-News International editors confronted with a 'bombshell' about discord at SKY. 8)
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    knedlicky wrote:
    I also think the Giro is more suited to Sam Sanchez than either the TdF or the Vuelta, so he’s another potential winner/podium candidate – just he’s a bit short on results this year to know his form.

he's also about 2 years past his best. I don't see it.

think Hesjedal will podium this year, the win is out of Wiggo and Nibs.
  • Have the teams been to see the Pope yet? Do they still do that? Looking forward to the "Wiggins swears at Pope" headlines. :D
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Re: PTP - Giro
    GC - Lord Bradley of Kilburn
    Do you think he ever rode at Paddington Track ?? :roll:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • danlikesbikes
    Have the teams been to see the Pope yet? Do they still do that? Looking forward to the "Wiggins swears at Pope" headlines. :D

He did a blessing on the jersey yesterday I think? But not sure when/if the riders still go to see him.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Have the teams been to see the Pope yet? Do they still do that? Looking forward to the "Wiggins swears at Pope" headlines. :D

He did a blessing on the jersey yesterday I think? But not sure when/if the riders still go to see him.

Brad Wiggins meeting the pope is a PR disaster in waiting!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    He's a competitive lad. No doubt had a word about upgrading his knighthood to parity with St Christopher.

Bradley-Wiggins-relaxes-i-009.jpg
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • tailwindhome
    This time next year the Giro circus will be in Belfast :shock: :D :shock:
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Don't know if anyone has posted these yet, but the 3 part documentary by the official giro youtube feed is worth a watch: http://www.inthegc.com/2013/04/giro-ditalia-in-video-4-more-sleeps.html
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Thought this was nice]

253285_417571175006632_875004740_n_zpsc928e621.jpg
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Macaloon wrote:
    He's a competitive lad. No doubt had a word about upgrading his knighthood to parity with St Christopher.

Bradley-Wiggins-relaxes-i-009.jpg
    He really looks desperate for a Pint of Lancashire Ale. (Websters is it ?)
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    That Astana team looks alright I think. Some good riders in there that will/could hold onto the Sky train/train it themselves if required. I really like Kessiakoff.

On the other hand - the OPQS team is a bit meh? Steegmans going to be Cav's key man - but is there enough there to do a job in the train to stop it being disrailed? I dunno.
  • danlikesbikes
    mroli wrote:
    That Astana team looks alright I think. Some good riders in there that will/could hold onto the Sky train/train it themselves if required. I really like Kessiakoff.

On the other hand - the OPQS team is a bit meh? Steegmans going to be Cav's key man - but is there enough there to do a job in the train to stop it being disrailed? I dunno.

Agree think Astana have a few riders that could make the pace uncomfortable for Brad/Sky if they wanted too but TBF you could say that of a few other teams too I guess.

Not that worried about OPQS, think Cav has proven that he does not need as much of a train as he had in the HTC days & even if he everyone would just try and mess it up anyway. Could be interesting if them and lotto and OGE try in the flat stages to duel it out though, then just gotta throw into the mix the other 'sprinter' teams.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Crozza wrote:
    realising that I could watch live streams of last year's Giro at work completely destroyed all productivity last May

can only see this year being worse
    :D