Giro - Pre Race Chat Thread.

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Well Brad's just made the BBC lunchtime news talking about the Giro which whilst I know its a quite news day its better than nothing.

Stating he is after the Giro/Tour double.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Well Brad's just made the BBC lunchtime news talking about the Giro which whilst I know its a quite news day its better than nothing.

According to the headline at the start of the programme he is going for the Italian road race title too :shock:
  • danlikesbikes
    afx237vi wrote:
    According to the headline at the start of the programme he is going for the Italian road race title too :shock:

Really I missed that bit just watching it in the background.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    afx237vi wrote:

I think he must be taking this mod love of all things Italian thing too far. He may actually be unaware the entrance criteria for that race aren't satisfied by ownership of handmade Milanese shoes and a Lambretta.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    My prediction is that Wiggins is either going to totally boss this race, or be absolutely dismal. Or possibly just mediocre. Or maybe OK, podium place, but not really in the frame for the win.

Hmmmmm. Can't work it out.

So basically whatever happens, you can now say you predicted it :lol:

Christ, No tA Doc, you've just redefined the boundaries of sitting on the fence

But hang on, there must be some more potential scenarios:

He could have a mechanical/gearing problem at the foot of Tre Cime di Lavaredo, lose the race and hurl the bike into Austria

He could be outshone by Henao who he sends up the road to scoop up so many bonus secs, he actually ends up over-taking Brad

He could hit a journo who winds him up at start/end of stage

:wink:

TBH I have two gut feelings. They contradict each other entirely. Basically he's going to blow them away or it's going to go quite seriously pear shaped.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561

Fasten seatbelts, its gonna to be a bumpy ride :)

Two words: mind games
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400

If Bertie can't rediscover his old form before July then a few Sky mind games might be the most exciting thing that happens this year.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • danlikesbikes

I know I thought that this was all done & dusted
  • Richmond Racer
    edited April 2013
    I wouldnt mind being in Richard Moore's shoes as Slaying the Badger gets a rushed reprint job in time for the Tour

Anyway...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/22 ... um=twitter

(its the Beeb report, I know, so read with caution)
  • inkyfingers
    I wouldnt mind being in Richard Moore's shoes as Slaying the Badger gets a rushed reprint job in time for the Tour

He'll be busy planning the next instalment, ready for when Wiggins gets into a break on a mountain stage with 100km to go :wink:
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Well that will upset a certain Mr Froomedog!
  • Richmond Racer

He'll be busy planning the next instalment, ready for when Wiggins gets into a break on a mountain stage with 100km to go :wink:

Slaying the Bradger
  • danlikesbikes
    Paul 8v wrote:

If not him am sure Mrs Froome will be having something to say about it!
  • inkyfingers
    Paul 8v wrote:

Let the women settle it, i'd pay £10 to Sky pay per view to watch Cath Wiggins and Michelle Cound slug it out.

Think Cath W would win.
  • Richmond Racer
    Paul 8v wrote:

Let the women settle it, i'd pay £10 to Sky pay per view to watch Cath Wiggins and Michelle Cound slug it out.

Think Cath W would win.

I'm with you on that one
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    If Bertie can't rediscover his old form before July then a few Sky mind games might be the most exciting thing that happens this year.
    I'm getting ahead of myself here but IF, IF Wiggo can arrive in France in decent shape then it is not entirely inconceivable that he could take yellow after the Stage 11 TT.

This could leave Sky with a fabulous dilema as Froome will have to attack if he wants the yellow. Will Sky allow it? If Sky want Froome to attack Wiggins in yellow then will they allow Wiggins to defend himself and risk Wiggins dragging other GC riders along with him?

Or - Wiggo blows up completely in the Giro, skips the Tour and tries for the Vuelta instead! :mrgreen:
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    "The Tour de France is my focus, it's just that I'm doing the Giro before."
    "There's been a lot of talk about [me riding in support of Chris Froome] but it's for the team management to decide.

"We are both on different paths and we're both professionals. We have been there before. We're on the same team and we know what needs to be done.

"I would be comfortable in a supporting role but it's not like I'm going to ride 200km on the front and swing off and lose 30 minutes. I want to be there at the death, I want to be on the podium.

"Somebody will need to make that decision. It will be quite hard, and I'm glad it's not me, but [Team Sky boss] Dave {Brailsford] is good at it."
  • Richmond Racer
    Word is that Sky are going back to old-skool manual gears for the Giro
  • inkyfingers
    Ok, crashes and illness aside, does anybody think that anybody other than Wiggins , Nibali or Hesjedal can win it?
  • Richmond Racer
    Ok, crashes and illness aside, does anybody think that anybody other than Wiggins , Nibali or Hesjedal can win it?

Well, Movistar are riding for Cobo....

No.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908

Phinney might be something decent when Cadel finaly realises he's past it.

Santambrogio to pull of a podium place?

Other than that. Nah.
  • Daz555
    Nope, that's it.
  • Daz555
    I would be comfortable in a supporting role but it's not like I'm going to ride 200km on the front and swing off and lose 30 minutes. I want to be there at the death, I want to be on the podium.
    The need to have a plan B like last year will mean that this does not happen. Wiggins will be protected like Froome was in the Tour - only making the serious efforts when there was no-one left.
  • danlikesbikes

Probably not, but you never know as they might end up marking each other out of it a bit waiting for Wiggo to gain a lead in the TT & Nibali to take time on the final Kms of the mountain stages. Could leave the door open for someone to get away early and get a lead, just a case of do they have the quality to keep that lead in the long run, thinking about it not sure if there is anyone left that does.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160

Slaying the Bradger

Chapeau!
  • Daz555
    Probably not, but you never know as they might end up marking each other out of it a bit waiting for Wiggo to gain a lead in the TT & Nibali to take time on the final Kms of the mountain stages. Could leave the door open for someone to get away early and get a lead, just a case of do they have the quality to keep that lead in the long run, thinking about it not sure if there is anyone left that does.
    I don't think Nilbali has it in him to take time out of Wiggo in the mountains, never mind Froome. We'll find out in the next few weeks I guess!
  • danlikesbikes
    I think he has plenty in the tank to take it out of Wiggo we are talking about some hardcore climbs.

Froome on the other hand just seems in a different class when it comes to the really steep stuff compared with Wiggo. But Froome is not riding the Giro so will have to wait for the Tour to see the 2 Sky riders together I guess.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Paul 8v wrote:

Think Cath W would win.

I'm with you on that one

So just to clarify:

It's Sir Wiggo for GC
    Cav for Stage 1
    Sky for Stage 2
    Cath Wiggins for super-special boxing stage :mrgreen:
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    We've never really seen what happens to Froome when he gets off the leash - he might blow them all away, but he may also crack himself. Bradley usually looks like he will always diesel back (enough) to Nibbles. At Trentino I think he made a tactical mistake in trying to get back too quickly, with no radios and maybe loss of monitors.
  • Daz555
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    We've never really seen what happens to Froome when he gets off the leash - he might blow them all away, but he may also crack himself. Bradley usually looks like he will always diesel back (enough) to Nibbles. At Trentino I think he made a tactical mistake in trying to get back too quickly, with no radios and maybe loss of monitors.
    Replacement bike had no power meter and also on the wrong gearing from what I've read.