Paris - Roubaix *spoiler*

Comments

• alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Paris-Roubaix isn't just about the cobbles! the velodrome is such an exciting finish!
  • slimreaper
    slimreaper Posts: 738
    superb race, brilliant. A great win in a manner not expected by Fab. He had to work hard for that. Thanks for the company during the race forumites
    +1
  • I think me and Gamblor broke even there
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 483
    that was a great race. bit gutted for the under dogs, but fantastic ride by cancellara all the way from 50k out. tactically great.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Were did the wheel hangers finish then ? Hushvod,Eisel etc ....sat on Cancellara and still CANT beat him 8)
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    enjoy that so much, hope whoever hit stybar gets hit by a bus 47 times
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • garyhoop1
    garyhoop1 Posts: 44
    Watch videos from this years Paris - Roubaix here - http://bit.ly/17gFAWZ
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Were did the wheel hangers finish then ? Hushvod,Eisel etc ....sat on Cancellara and still CANT beat him 8)

They were a complete disaster... Hushovd, Elvis, Flecha... all over-rated
    www.dotcycling.com
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited April 2013
    ILM Zero7 wrote:
    emadden wrote:
    Mooro wrote:
    F@cking fans...

Fans not at fault here... Riders too close

disagree
    ruined his race, and our viewing because the fans were too close! simple...... when will they stop crowding riders? it ruins it

Nonsense. The weakest riders choose not to ride on the top of the pavees as it's bit easier - with great risks as a result. Plenty of road and space for both the crowds and riders.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,177
    Vanmarcke needs to brush up on his track skills, a real shame for him though as he took his turns to the end when not many riders in that position would have. I've never seen Fab look like he's worked that hard for a win before. Really feel for Stybar who looked very strong. Amateur by Boom and Bernie when they dropped back with Fab when he went back to the car, why put yourself in a position where you have to ride hard when gifted a chance to gain a few seconds lead on the favourites?
  • Gazzetta67
    44kmh 2nd fastest Elvis Boassen Hagen 1st Fattest Geraint Thomas No1 Crasher 8)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    For Sale : Mount Tiede timeshare during March. Going cheap
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    ThomThom wrote:
    ILM Zero7 wrote:
    emadden wrote:
    Mooro wrote:
    F@cking fans...

disagree
    ruined his race, and our viewing because the fans were too close! simple...... when will they stop crowding riders? it ruins it

Nonsense. The weakest riders choose not to ride on the top of the pavees as it's bit easier - with great risks as a result. Plenty of road and space for both the crowds and riders.
    Huh? He was in the wheel behind Cancellara. The spectator was an idiot who spoilt the race.
  • emadden
    Hope Vanmarcke doesnt get too down about losing that... It was really a great great race
    www.dotcycling.com
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    ThomThom wrote:
    ILM Zero7 wrote:
    emadden wrote:
    Mooro wrote:
    F@cking fans...

disagree

Then all the last 4 riders were weak, cos they were all riding the edges.
    The Carrefour is becoming a lottery.
    Two years ago, we had girls crossing the pave right in front of riders.
    Pross wrote:
    Vanmarcke needs to brush up on his track skills, a real shame for him though as he took his turns to the end when not many riders in that position would have. I've never seen Fab look like he's worked that hard for a win before. Really feel for Stybar who looked very strong. Amateur by Boom and Bernie when they dropped back with Fab when he went back to the car, why put yourself in a position where you have to ride hard when gifted a chance to gain a few seconds lead on the favourites?

All of this.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Gazzetta67
    For Sale - Sky race notes, Will stick to stage racing
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    there getting better, JTL needs to do something next week
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 483
    ThomThom wrote:
    ILM Zero7 wrote:
    emadden wrote:
    Mooro wrote:
    F@cking fans...

disagree

Ill match your 'Nonsense' and I'll raise you 'just plain wrong'. All three were riding in a line centimetres apart in the gutter 20kms towards then end of a incredibly demanding race, and Stybar was just unlucky that somebody stuck out an arm or a camera which shoved him across the road.
  • thomthom
    ThomThom wrote:
    ILM Zero7 wrote:
    emadden wrote:
    Mooro wrote:
    F@cking fans...

disagree

All of this.

They know there's a greater risk of punctures and conflict with crowds when riding the edges. If he wanted to kill any chances of that happening he could have used the road.

They shouldn't even be allowed to ride the edges to begin with if you ask me.
  • Gazzetta67
    ThomThom wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    ILM Zero7 wrote:
    emadden wrote:
    Mooro wrote:
    F@cking fans...

disagree

All of this.

They know there's a greater risk of punctures and conflict with crowds when riding the edges. If he wanted to kill any chances of that happening he could have used the road.

+1 same goes for vandenbergh he just rode into the spectator.....its not as if the riders have not seen this before....you'l be telling me next that you ride over every drain at the side of the kerb next and not give a toss about your good wheels.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    ThomThom wrote:

You're on it again aren't you :roll:

Utter rubbish. Do you really understand the cobbled classics? I don't think you do.

Anyway great to see a tactical race where the boys with the best legs used the best tactics. Vanmarcke appears to be able to use his brain but then engage in needless heroics, in equal measure. At any rate, a fantastic rider to watch!
  • emadden
    edited April 2013
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

+1 same goes for vandenbergh he just rode into the spectator.....its not as if the riders have not seen this before....you'l be telling me next that you ride over every drain at the side of the kerb next and not give a toss about your good wheels.

that vandenberg one was strange... it certainly did look like he turned into the spectator ... which is what prompted my "kamakazie" comment at the time.

EDIT: Need to see replays of these crashes again... nothing on youtube yet
    www.dotcycling.com
  • Gazzetta67
    emadden wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

that vandenberg one was strange... it certainly did look like he turned into the spectator ... which is what prompted my "kamakazie" comment at the time.

are you my twin....very scary were on the same hymn sheet 8)
  • EKIMIKE
    From my dodgy stream it looked as if Vandenbergh carried on riding the edge, anticipating that the two spectators would move back (as all the others did) as he came through but they simply didn't move.
  • thomthom
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:

You're on it again aren't you :roll:

Utter rubbish. Do you really understand the cobbled classics? I don't think you do.

Perhaps you for once could argue why you disagree. Last time you called me all kind of things but funnily enough failed to come with anything useful.

So, please tell - how should I undestand cobbled classics. I'l' be more than happy to answer your great reply you undoubtly are writing this very moment. Lets see if I know what a cobbled classic is.
  • Gazzetta67
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    From my dodgy stream it looked as if Vandenbergh carried on riding the edge, anticipating that the two spectators would move back (as all the others did) as he came through but they simply didn't move.

Anticipating ??? Well mmmmmm If i am out riding my bike am going to avoid trouble 1st and not think about what's going on inside some numpty standing at the side of the road...Nobody stood in Vandenbergh's way he rode into them...just watched it again.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    It could have been different had Stybar still been in the mix. However as to the manner in which his race was ended (effectively) they all know what it's like and over-exuberant/clumsy fans are all part of the race. What realistic measures could be employed to negate such happenings, without destroying the nature of the sport?
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • EKIMIKE
    I did justify calling you on Flanders. I said they were riding for position. You disagreed, giving no good reason, simply saying it was very strange.

You tell me why Stybar would ride the cobbles whilst his two breakaway companions get through on the side saving a whole heap of energy on what is the THE definitive cobbled sector in the finale of Paris-Roubaix - the Carrefour de l'Arbre - on which year after year riders ride the side with no issues.

If you don't chance your arm in these races then it's a case of "Oh well, next year" not "Oh well there's another stage race next week". It's all or nothing.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    ThomThom wrote:
    Purist!
    I feel the same where it’s patchy asphalt at the side, not so where it’s earth.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    ThomThom wrote:
    The weakest riders choose not to ride on the top of the pavees as it's bit easier - with great risks as a result.
    In the case of Vandenbergh, I think this is right, by the time he crashed I think he was kaputt – he’d done nearly all the leading when out just with Vanmarcke and looked to be only just hanging on to the other three – and falsely thought it would be easier on the side, forgetting the associated risks.

But I disagree about Stybar, I think he was just unlucky - a spectator who couldn’t see Stybar (because he was following Vanmarcke) swung something red out as soon as Vanmarcke went by, which probably would have put Stybar off track even had he been on the cobbles on that side.