GT Arrowhead - For Fork Sake + Machining - PG13

Comments

• gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    *AJ* wrote:
    Looks better! You painted the V brakes too? :lol:

Thanks

Nope. Just happened to be a perfect match. :) I had a BMX build a while back so i bought the blue v brakes for that, but i took them off because they went so well with the new paint.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-ALHONGA-A ... 1e6d40d47a They are pretty good, better than the Promax ones i had before.
  • gt-arrowhead
    Bike against white garage door, drive side showing, big ring on chainset, small ring on cassette, cranks in line with but not obscuring chainstay or seat tube, valve stems at the 90' to the ground.Job Done.

That is really OTT, white garage door backgrounds are boring, i dont have one anyway, and geese are alot better as a background :wink:
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Unless they attack you...
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
    Bike against white garage door, drive side showing, big ring on chainset, small ring on cassette, cranks in line with but not obscuring chainstay or seat tube, valve stems at the 90' to the ground.Job Done.

That is really OTT, white garage door backgrounds are boring, i dont have one anyway, and geese are alot better as a background :wink:

Ok ignore the white garage door bit, but the rest is just making the bike look it's best! 8)
  • gt-arrowhead
    edited May 2013
    I dont think it makes that much (if any) difference. But thanks anyway.

The bigger ones actually kept hissing at me whenever i got near to them. I thought they were gonna try and mug me for my bike! I was scared they were gonna peck my face when i leant over to pick my bike up after the photo. :D
  • Kowalski675
    The bigger ones actually kept hissing at whenever i got near to them. I thought they were gonna try and mug me for my bike!

They were protecting their kids, not after your bike, lol. Geese can be quite vicious when pissed off. One summer evening myself and my last gf were sat outside the Kings Arms on the river in York when a family of geese waddled up alongside us, the babies came right up to us and let us stroke them, lol, they were all fluffy. Their mum and dad seemed pretty chilled out about it.
  • gt-arrowhead
    :lol: Never heard that before, usually theyd just try and molest you, ive seen it happen before. Too funny :)
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    :lol: Never heard that before, usually theyd just try and molest you, ive seen it happen before. Too funny :)

You've seen a goose molest someone? Are you sure it wasn't me in my goose costume with your mum? Shes a classy type of bird
  • gt-arrowhead
    Not literally, but it did look like it was having a good go at it.

And the victim that i saw was a male.
  • pesky_jones

Maybe it was her turn in the costume. We switch it up like that
  • Kowalski675

Maybe it was her turn in the costume. We switch it up like that

:lol: Lol
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    hi, GT

been a lil while

anyway to the point I thought you were getting suspension forks and disc brake's on the GT.

still looks nice I guess
  • gt-arrowhead
    Cheers.

Yep it has.

The total cost for this transformation, believe it or not, was £10. Only payed for the primer and the metallic blue paint! :mrgreen: I got the stem and the bars + avid levers a while back when i went to get the Alivio cranks. He didnt have a fiver change so i asked him if he was selling anything else for a fiver. He said he would have a look. He came out with the stem and bars, avid levers, and a fox racing saddle with 4 tyre levers and an inner tube!

I ended up selling the fox racing saddle to my brother for £3, so essentially i got the stem, bars, and levers for £2! Result.

The rest of it was all spares. Just didnt use all of the Deore stuff that i had simply because the Acera and all-in-ones were doing the trick. Im taking the Avid brake levers, the Deore rear shifter and the Deore XT rear mech for when i put the other GT together though.

I got payed and i was in a home store and i walked past the spray paints and i thought "hmm...why not?"
  • gt-arrowhead
    Ive got the disc brake caliper already, and ive got half the money together for the fork. Selling off my BMX when i can be bothered to throw some crappy V brakes on it and i will have enough for a good fork.
  • Anonymous
    cool.

my front mud guard snapped off.

did a downhill trip hit a tree root at a "intresting" angle anyway long story short the front suspension survived and did a good job or cushioning the blow. fortunately the mudguard took the brunt.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    How on earth did hitting a root break your mudguard!? :?
  • Anonymous
    njee20 wrote:
    How on earth did hitting a root break your mudguard!? :?

as I landed I thing some of the root broke off and hit the front mudguard violently and snap it off.

all I know when I got to the bottom the mudguard had snapped off front the connector on the front on the bike.
  • pesky_jones
    as I landed I thing some of the root broke off and ....

Surely this can't be for real...
  • Anonymous
    as I landed I thing some of the root broke off and ....

Surely this can't be for real...

relax!!! its only a typo
  • So the once lovely metallic blue has been scratched quite badly on the right side as i robbed it of its handlebars, wheels for the Raleigh. It was left in my garden and its scraped across my flower bed a few times :( I am going to use it as an excuse to do yet another respray, preferably in a different colour.

I need to bag myself a pair of wheels for this. The ones ive got left over are crap, i keep them to sell for a fiver to mates and stuff. I already picked up a genuine GT bar and stem from a local ebay seller, and i am eyeing some nice wheels also locally on eBay. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Retro-Shimano ... 232eed24be

Anyone got any ideas on what colour i should spray it? I am thinking so far for having a white frame with blue bits and bobs like grips and decals and wiring (easiest option as ive already got all of that) or a gold frame with black bits and bobs. Im stuck! I think googling "retro GT" should give me a few ideas though.
  • Soooo. Shes been out of action for many months and i thought it was time for a resurrection. Again.

I have decided to go for a polished aluminium finish, and i am going single speed on this one. Never owned a single speed, and i like the idea of having no gears to mess around with or maintain. And going single speed means another advantage, i can have an anodized chain. bling bling!

Anyway, i got to work with sanding the frame by hand and after about 20 minutes i had hardly removed the blue paint. There is three different paint jobs on it at the moment, and it is an absolute nightmare to remove....my dad said he would buy me a hobby tool as an early birthday present. I dashed off to the shops and picked it up for a bargain £20 from tool station. It includes all different attachments and it works brilliantly. Very impressed.

IMAG0155_zpsa1f138a1.jpg

Well, this is as far as ive got after day 1. I reckon i have removed about 1/3 of the paint. I tackled the hardest parts first of all, just got left than half left to remove on the downtube, and im 90% done on the top tube. I am using my own sand paper on it, cut into small discs. It is working pretty well, its just the amount of paint that is making the process take forever. I reckon it should be bare metal by the end of Monday. Then i can get cracking with polishing the Aluminium to give me a mirror/chrome effect. Then the finish will be done.

As for parts, its mostly the same as before but with no gears. And GT MTB handlebars and stem. And i think i might have a mix of blue and red trim. All will be decided as the build takes shape.

My progress for day 1!

IMAG0158_zps2fdfa11e.jpg
    IMAG0156_zps5f30be8b.jpg
  • Came home to find the postman at the door. Lucky me!

A few of the new bits, grips, single speed spacer set, cheap wellgo pedals:
    IMAG0165_zps008db38f.jpg
    IMAG0164_zps891eefc4.jpg
    Not too impressed with the colour of these pedals :( they are a dodgey shade, they look different to the spacer kit and the lockrings, i was trying to get them all to match. They look normal blue in the picture but when i get them they are a different blue... considering whether to send them back or not.
    IMAG0163_zpsbd67ed85.jpg
    IMAG0164_zps891eefc4.jpg
    Got a new seat clamp for the chucker, so i took this one off for this build. Perfect match with the bars! :D
    IMAG0167_zpscd6d31ea.jpg
  • Seriously, WTF!?

In April, you bought the bike/frame, then resprayed it black.

In May you got fed up of black, then resprayed it blue,

Now you're fed up with blue and are stripping it to bare metal then clear coating it.

So in total, on paint, you must have wasted about £50, and then another £20 on a cheap "hobby tool" (that trust me, won't last very long, sorry to say it; I've had one myself).... The can paint is rubbish for a bike frame because it's far too soft (other than hammerite, but then it's not a good colour).... You could have had it sandblasted and powdercoated for nearly the same price and have a quality finish!!!!

All this for a GT ARROWHEAD!!!!! I mean, that frame is worth less than £30, you're mental.

Start saving up and buy a frame worthy of the effort you're putting in and that you can actually go ride and have some fun rather than wasting your free time stripping and painting it!!!!

BTW, If you're interested in a bargain, I'm willing to help you out, I have an NS Surge 2008 frame in my garage, that's been sat there for the last 3 years doing nothing, it's hardly used, and is highly unlikely I'll ever rebuild it; I paid something like £180 for the frame, but I'm willing to let it go for a bargain price (just to get rid of it); here's a photo of the bike when it was fully built:

14755.jpg

PM me if you're interested; please stop wasting your cash on that arrowhead!
  • At a decent price, that ns surge frame wouldn't be a bad shout GT, they've got to be one of the best long travel hardtails out there.
  • At a decent price, that ns surge frame wouldn't be a bad shout GT, they've got to be one of the best long travel hardtails out there.

Indeeed, it's a brilliant bike to ride; When I bought the frame, I paired it up with some Marzocchi Z150's, which made for a superb hardtail DH rig.... but weighed an absolute ton, so replaced with some slightly lighter Fox Vanilla's and made the bike so much better for riding on stuff that wasn't down, but were still good on the DH stuff!

I'll happily throw in a whole bunch of extras for you...

FSA Pig DH Pro headset
    Truvativ hussfelt bars/stem
    DMR saddle
    E-Thirteen SRS chainguide
    Hollowtech bottom bracket
    Salsa QR seat clamp
    Front Hayes HFX 9 brake (you can have the rear also, but it sticks and needs repairing).

...That's a good start in getting you a decent bike that's worth spending money on; up to you though mate; I'm in no rush to sell if you need time to get funds together, but I'll happily take a stupid price for them to help you out a bit as it's all stuff I won't ever use again.

Indeeed, it's a brilliant bike to ride; When I bought the frame, I paired it up with some Marzocchi Z150's, which made for a superb hardtail DH rig.... but weighed an absolute ton, so replaced with some slightly lighter Fox Vanilla's and made the bike so much better for riding on stuff that wasn't down, but were still good on the DH stuff!

I'll happily throw in a whole bunch of extras for you...

FSA Pig DH Pro headset
    Truvativ hussfelt bars/stem
    DMR saddle
    E-Thirteen SRS chainguide
    Hollowtech bottom bracket
    Salsa QR seat clamp
    Front Hayes HFX 9 brake (you can have the rear also, but it sticks and needs repairing).

...That's a good start in getting you a decent bike that's worth spending money on; up to you though mate; I'm in no rush to sell if you need time to get funds together, but I'll happily take a stupid price for them to help you out a bit as it's all stuff I won't ever use again.

What a bloke! GT you'd be mad not to snap his arm off!
    Commencal Ramones Cromo 13 - viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12926938
  • You could have had it sandblasted and powdercoated for nearly the same price and have a quality finish!!!!

I said that ages ago, lol. He could've had it powdercoated for less than he's spent on rattle cans etc, lol.
  • Came home to find the postman at the door.

He was just coming out, he'd been upstairs shagging your mum...
  • and the lockrings, i was trying to get them all to match.

Anodised parts won't necessarily match, even if they've been anodised in the same tank, at the same time, unless they're exactly the same composition of ally.
  • Cheers for the replies,

The reason why i keep rebuilding this is because i just like the bike. Ive had shed loads of fun on this, and ive owned it for a long long time now. This is the bike that got me into bikes in the first place. I dont want to just sell it away or chuck it in the corner of my garden/shed. Its not just because its the bike that started it for me, but i actually enjoy riding it. I could have sold it a bizillion times by now. My boss wanted to buy it off me back when it looked like this: 330626_2457718139290_403168981_o_zps62cd2462.jpg
    He offered £150. I would have made something like £40 ish quid profit. (lol at the stem and the rest of it i know) and ive had no less than 10 of my mates and others at school want to buy this off me. Each time i fix this up i spend so little on the bike as a whole but get alot more than my moneys worth out of it. I spent £15 on those red walls for example, rode them till they were cracked and the rear had a bald patch from skidding when i didnt care about them anymore, then i threw them in my garden for a few months, then i sold them to my mate for £5. I got way way more than my moneys worth. Same with handlebars and grips. I sold them away for £10 to another mate. The whole of the braking system bar the wires are still being used on another bike, its the same with the acera mech and the chainguide. So all in all ive got my moneys worth out of my crappy budget bits.

I only bought a can of primer and a can of blue and black for this build. Which amounts to around £15, not 50. The primer lasted me 4 builds (this twice, the raleigh in my sig, and a bmx build i did) Im not clear coating this anymore, just leaving it polished up.

There is a bit of sense behind my mentality. I am making very good use out of the old parts i had on this bike so its not all a waste. And i find it fun to build bikes and spray them and stuff. I dont know of any powder coaters near me, and i wasnt even aware of powdercoating when i did the painting.

Thanks alot for the offer mate, i will send you a PM on that.

Kowalski, my mum wasnt in :lol: and thanks for the info on the anodizing. I could make £5 profit on my pedals, my mate who bought my BMX may be interested in the pedals as they match his brake levers and stuff. I might stick with my old black battered pedals or get new cheap ones.