Vuelta al Pais Vasco 2013 *SPOILERS*

Comments

• DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    T'was Peraud who crashed
    Hope he's ok. I'd like to see him bag a podium here if possible.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    DeadCalm wrote:
    T'was Peraud who crashed

Looks like he went down hard on his side, but kept his arm in and just slid into the camera peps who very kindly just bothered to move their equipment out of the way rather than trying to help out.

Seemed to get up OK though - guess we will know more tomorrow after he has seen the team and got some rest in.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Thought that Sky did a creditable job today-depleted crew meant more long turns on the chase and once more, apart from Movistar, it seems they have no friends in the pro peleton.The Henao/Porte one two is a very effective combo,enough to see off Contador today in filthy weather.
    They do need to cultivate some friends however. :roll:
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • DeadCalm
    Wow. Spare a thought for Mikael Cherel. Apparently he had a mechanical only 2km into the stage and didn't manage to get back to the peloton until the 60km mark such was the early pace. He eventually finished 25th @1'16. Chapeau that man.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    nevman wrote:
    Thought that Sky did a creditable job today-depleted crew meant more long turns on the chase and once more, apart from Movistar, it seems they have no friends in the pro peloton.The Henao/Porte one two is a very effective combo,enough to see off Contador today in filthy weather.
    Why would anyone want to help the number 1 team?

(I can see why Movistar might, but the others? I wouldn't)

A bit of trivia for today: The riders in first and second, Quintana and Henao, are flatmates in Pamplona (along with Uran)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • danlikesbikes
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Wow. Spare a thought for Mikael Cherel. Apparently he had a mechanical only 2km into the stage and didn't manage to get back to the peloton until the 60km mark such was the early pace. He eventually finished 25th @1'16. Chapeau that man.

Did not realise that - chapeau indeed for that effort
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • It is great to see some good climbers from Colombia coming to the fore again after the glory days of Lucho and Fabio Parra. I hope Betancur and Henao make up after yesterday's battle too. It didn't look like there is much love lost between them.

DD.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm wrote:
    T'was Peraud who crashed

Looks like he went down hard on his side, but kept his arm in and just slid into the camera peps who very kindly just bothered to move their equipment out of the way rather than trying to help out.

Seemed to get up OK though - guess we will know more tomorrow after he has seen the team and got some rest in.
    Peraud actually managed to crash twice after the finish. The one we all saw plus another chute on the descent to the bus. Poor old Jicé. Shouldn't prevent him from starting tomorrow though.
  • danlikesbikes
    Glad that he is OK.

Watched the moto camera angle as it was pretty straight on to the direction of the riders & the 2 who went down were not on the same part of the road. Did look V wet and that one part had some standing water on it but wonder if any of the vehicles that went over prior to the riders making it there might have dropped some oil.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    RichN95 wrote:
    nevman wrote:
    Thought that Sky did a creditable job today-depleted crew meant more long turns on the chase and once more, apart from Movistar, it seems they have no friends in the pro peloton.The Henao/Porte one two is a very effective combo,enough to see off Contador today in filthy weather.
    Why would anyone want to help the number 1 team?

(I can see why Movistar might, but the others? I wouldn't)

A bit of trivia for today: The riders in first and second, Quintana and Henao, are flatmates in Pamplona (along with Uran)

Nice bit of trivia - the Colombians unite!
  • DeadCalm
    Sky bag another stage race then, with a domestique. Whats everyone else playing at?!

Race aint over. Henao cant TT. Porte is a good TT rider certainly but who knows. There are some handy TT riders up there. Not a pan flat TT course so could be interesting.
    Tomorrow isn't a straightforward stage either and this is not a strong Sky squad. I'd love to see some of the other teams take the race to Sky.
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    I think the top guys racing full gas in races like this is a bit of risk. A quick trip over the barriers or a slip could end a rider's season. A day like today could wipe out a rider like AC or Talansky or Van Garderen who have bigger fish to fry. Riders have in the past only done about 40-50 days of racing a year and 2013 seems to be a year where the top guys are racing very frequently. The LA and Ullrich days seem to be over.

For the likes of Saxo Bank, if AC crashes badly then there's no one else for the biggest prizes for the Team. Hope their luck holds out. Tricky stuff.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Swapping glasses:
    HenaoZandioo_2924687.jpg
    HenaoZandio_2924686.jpg
    JTL nice blue rain jacket IMHO

JonathanTiernanLocke_2924685.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Alberto Contador ‏@albertocontador 12h
    Thanks very much to all that are on the road under the intense rain. Climbs are less tough with your support!

Alberto Contador ‏@albertocontador 11h
    Today, stage under water in Basque Country.4h non stop raining, finally whit out differences at overall. Tomorrow a really tough stage!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Gilbert nearly 9 minutes down yesterday, hopefully saving himself for today, which would be a good day to test himself if he still has real hopes of making a splash in the Ardennes.

Hope to see a teams having a go today on what is quite a gnarly looking stage. Movistar hopefully, Katusha (who have 3 guys within 1 minute on GC) and of course Euskaltel must be getting pretty desperate for a win now. Wouldn't rule out a move from Contador either, he clearly doesn't have the climbing yet, but a brave move like he pulled in the Vuelta may work, though he probably needs to team up with a squad without much chance on GC (Movistar or Euskaltel would be the obvious ones), but even lacking numbers Sky look strong, Porte has looked relaxed throughout this race, riding calmly while Henao has been fighting for the wins.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • frenchfighter
    Gilbert on Wed. Check top speed:
    BG9GfesCMAIR1ue.jpg:large
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Possible snow above 500m apparently
  • danlikesbikes
    Possible snow above 500m apparently

4 climbs over that height today.... I think?
  • frenchfighter
    Oh my, didn't look at the profile properly before. This stage is very tough - over 3000m climbing and 10 categorised climbs!

Good preview:
    http://c-cycling.blogspot.cz/2013/04/vu ... eview.html
    Contador is the Greatest
  • danlikesbikes
    Yep looking like today's stage is going to be........... tough whatever happens. Breakaway goes & all the teams will want to working but might want to force Sky too, though didn't seem to work like that yesterday.
  • Richmond Racer
    edited April 2013
    18km into the race, all together, the first climb, a cat 3, done. Next up, a cat

EDIT: feck, I meant a Cat 1 up next

(thanks to Dan...)
  • danlikesbikes
    18km into the race, all together, the first climb, a cat 3, done. Next up, a cat

meow
  • danlikesbikes

(thanks to Dan...)

Stupid, childish & immature quote from me - but I just couldn't help myself I'm still having a little chuckle at it, the image of cyclists stopping due to a cat crossing the road
  • Richmond Racer

(thanks to Dan...)

Stupid, childish & immature quote from me - but I just couldn't help myself I'm still having a little chuckle at it, the image of cyclists stopping due to a cat crossing the road

There have to be some pics of feline intervention in races somewhere. Plenty of canine intervention.
  • danlikesbikes

There have to be some pics of feline intervention in races somewhere. Plenty of canine intervention.

Have seen - dogs, sheep, cows & a few from S.A. & Aus with some pretty big birds (no pun intended) & roo's plus one with a croc/alligator
  • Richmond Racer
    Klodi's thrown inthe towel

After 29km, Herrada (MOV) and Silin (AST) have 30" on the peloton

Must be near the summit of that first cat 1 now
  • danlikesbikes
    Poss move from Movi & Astana for later on?
  • danlikesbikes
    Also P Gilbert has abandoned
  • Richmond Racer
    Also P Gilbert has abandoned

And Cesar. The DNFs are going to rack up today, horrible stage and pouring with rain

At the 40km mark peloton split into 2 groups, all faves in front group
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Poss move from Movi & Astana for later on?

2 guys down the road is not enough, would be ideal situation for Sky really, not that hard to control 2 with 4 riders even if Saxo showed no interest.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/