Vuelta al Pais Vasco 2013 *SPOILERS*

1131415161719»

Comments

• jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    Photochromic with a media lights to one side?

(complete guess but I could make my glasses look like that if I covered one lens up)
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Just got in and to see the result. I am surprised to say the least. I did not see that coming, not at all.
    Well I hope a star is born.

Agree. Didnt see much mention other than it being between Porte and Contador for GC. Some people now seem wise after the event.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    tumblr_mkum0xTiNb1qacyk6o2_1280.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    I'm really enjoying seeing the new talent come through. Heneo and Quintana are fast becoming two of my favourite riders. I really hope that Quintana gets to ride for himself at one of the GT's and doesn't end up working for Valverde the whole time (as much as I like Valverde)
  • frenchfighter
    http://www.cyclinginquisition.com/2012/06/who-is-nairo-quintana.html is worth reading, specially the bit about racism suffered by Columbians in the peloton.

Thanks for this. There are some good articles on that site I have read before but missed this one. I like Quintana a ton more after reading it and wish him all luck. I can't believe that racism still exists like that...shocking and I hope those dickheads get eaten for breakfast over multiple cols. Nice to hear that Quintana was brave enough to push the rider into the ditch though! And great to read that despite not being a top dollar rider he has already given some of his money to good causes. Heavyweight.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010

http://www.cyclinginquisition.com/2012/ ... ntana.html is worth reading, specially the bit about racism suffered by Columbians in the peloton.

interesting article
  • frenchfighter
    tumblr_mkilyjgJLx1qzxpybo1_1280.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    What are Sky putting on his back here?
    WATSON-00003314023_2925735.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    Twitter exploding over movistar doping accusations?

No?

Not surprise to hear this. My initial thoughts were "not normal" and how could he possibly get that close to Tony Martin's time.

I didn't think Quintana could TT - what do I know? I guess the terrain was key as he is clearly a brilliant climber.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    What are Sky putting on his back here?
    Nothing. He's just that shape. Here he is at Saxo

AR-LEAD-Porte_20110905194640924385-420x0.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    RoyPSB wrote:
    Twitter exploding over movistar doping accusations?

No?

Not surprise to hear this. My initial thoughts were "not normal" and how could he possibly get that close to Tony Martin's time.

I didn't think Quintana could TT - what do I know? I guess the terrain was key as he is clearly a brilliant climber.

+ Henao put in a decent time - more evidence that the course suited that type of rider.
  • RichN95.
    RoyPSB wrote:

+ Henao put in a decent time - more evidence that the course suited that type of rider.

It's also worth noting that Quintana and Henao live only a few miles away from the course, so were probably more familiar with the technicalities.
  • frenchfighter
    Rich the photo I posted is Henao not Porte but I suppose it could also be natural.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Would appear he does have a funny shaped back.

dsc1827.jpg
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • They look like Camelbaks imo. Didn't a rider get into hot water for wearing it a year or two ago?

Well played Quintana, stonking TT.
  • RichN95.
    Rich the photo I posted is Henao not Porte but I suppose it could also be natural.
    Oh yeah. I was being a bit thick there.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    ^David Millar in Commonwealth Games wore a Camelback
  • Cheers, didn't know of David Millar in the CWG. Don't think I even watched that race despite taking place here :oops:

Was thinking of this one, Frank Schleck
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/schleck ... melbak-use
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    Pleased for Quintana, there seems to be a good new crop of young stage race riders coming through. They're probably a couple of seasons off really competing in the big ones but bodes well for some good racing to come. The sooner Quintana becomes the Movistar number one rider the happier I'll be.
  • frenchfighter
    Would appear he does have a funny shaped back.

dsc1827.jpg

Love this photo!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Contador racing today and making the selection.

Classement de la Clasica Primavera:

1. Rui-Alberto Faria Da Costa (POR, Movistar Team) les 171,6 km en 4h07'58" (41,5 km/h)
    2. Pablo Urtasun (ESP, Euskaltel-Euskadi) m.t.
    3. Alberto Contador (ESP, Team Saxo-Tinkoff) m.t.
    4. Beñat Intxausti (ESP, Movistar Team) m.t.
    5. José Herrada (ESP, Movistar Team) m.t.
    6. Rory Sutherland (AUS, Team Saxo-Tinkoff) m.t.
    7. Eduard Prades (COL, OFM) m.t.
    8. Julien El Farès (FRA, Sojasun) m.t.
    9. Edson Calderon (COL, 4-72 Colombia) m.t.
    10. Evgeny Shalunov (RUS, Lokosphinx) m.t.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Contador racing today and making the selection.

Classement de la Clasica Primavera:

1. Rui-Alberto Faria Da Costa (POR, Movistar Team) les 171,6 km en 4h07'58" (41,5 km/h)
    2. Pablo Urtasun (ESP, Euskaltel-Euskadi) m.t.
    3. Alberto Contador (ESP, Team Saxo-Tinkoff) m.t.
    4. Beñat Intxausti (ESP, Movistar Team) m.t.
    5. José Herrada (ESP, Movistar Team) m.t.
    6. Rory Sutherland (AUS, Team Saxo-Tinkoff) m.t.
    7. Eduard Prades (COL, OFM) m.t.
    8. Julien El Farès (FRA, Sojasun) m.t.
    9. Edson Calderon (COL, 4-72 Colombia) m.t.
    10. Evgeny Shalunov (RUS, Lokosphinx) m.t.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6kRkMjszZc
    Contador is the Greatest
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    iainf72 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    Didn't Prudhomme tip him for this year's Tour at the end of last year's race?

He did indeed
    Matt Rendell ‏@mrendell 6h
    Smarter pundits than me see a future Tour winner in Nairo Quintana. Dave Brailsford said exactly that to me last weekend.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Matt Rendell was infuriated last night on his twitter feed at the comments made by the commentators for Universal Sports in the US re Quintana's TT. They pretty much accused Quintana of doping.

Read about it here on Podium Cafe's blog, inc transcripts and the actual video commentary.
    http://www.podiumcafe.com/2013/4/10/420 ... g-with-you

It's pretty outrageous
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Matt Rendell was infuriated last night on his twitter feed at the comments made by the commentators for Universal Sports in the US re Quintana's TT. They pretty much accused Quintana of doping.

Read about it here on Podium Cafe's blog, inc transcripts and the actual video commentary.

It's pretty outrageous
    It's just the same extreme cynicism as took over in Germany after Ullrich was busted, in France after Festina, and it's no more than logical it's happening in the US now. It'd would happen in the UK too
  • frenchfighter
    tumblr_mkswi670uT1qacyk6o1_500.png
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    8051587688_35543a356b_b.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174

It's pretty outrageous

I think it's just a part of that new trend - someone wins who hasn't already been winning major bike races for at least 5 years therefore they must be doped. It really is depressing.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Pross wrote:

I think it's just a part of that new trend - someone wins who hasn't already been winning major bike races for at least 5 years therefore they must be doped. It really is depressing.

Possibly also a cultural difference that we don't get, bit like the humour some UK commentators use when talking about races & some situations that need handling with an element of care. Plus there is a massive backlash in the USA currently regarding doping due to well you know who that larry bloke.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • The comparison between Phinney and Quintano is interesting. No questions being asked about the American rider, unsurprisingly. Perhaps the two clowns (sorry, commentators) are letting some racist under-current to cloud their (absent) logic.

DD.