Critérium International 2013 - May contain spoilers

DeadCalm
DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
edited April 2013 in Pro race
Starts tomorrow with quite an impressive start list no doubt due to the chance for riders to scout the opening stages of the TDF. Riders of note include Evans, Van Garderen, Froome, Schleck, Peraud, Talansky and Rolland. Rogers looks to be leading Saxo in the absence of the poorly Contador.

Interesting that Cadel and Tejay are both due to be riding. I wonder if either or both will be seeking to make a point regarding tour leadership?

I'll also be keeping an eye out to see how Bardet and JTL go.

Oh, and ITV4 will be showing highlights on Sunday night.
Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet

Comments

• Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    I'm interested in the Evans-TJVG thing...I think they might be heading for a rumble at the Tour
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    ITV4 showing both this plus Paris-Nice highlights on Sunday/Monday
    Sunday 9pm, Monday 01:50 / Monday 1:55pm
    Paris-Nice Sunday 10:55am
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    andyrr wrote:
    ITV4 showing both this plus Paris-Nice highlights on Sunday/Monday
    Sunday 9pm, Monday 01:50 / Monday 1:55pm
    Paris-Nice Sunday 10:55am

Paris-Nice highlights? They are well and truly on the ball...
  • DeadCalm
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Theo Bos has won the first stage.

TT this afternoon
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153
    Bouhanni 2nd
    Cantwell 3rd
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153
    Time trial result

1. Porte
    2. Boaro +1
    3. Van Garderen +1
    4. Froome +2
    5. Talansky +7
    6. Peraud +7

Evans was the day's biggest stinker (+45)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    RichN95 wrote:

Why should a domestique do anything but save himself for his leader?
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    RichN95 wrote:
    Time trial result

1. Porte
    2. Boaro +1
    3. Van Garderen +1
    4. Froome +2
    5. Talansky +7
    6. Peraud +7

Oof! for 7kms that's massive...
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Anyone think that Evans should just change tack and go for hard 1 day'rs now ? - he will struggle to find his way onto a podium now in a grand tour.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Go Jungels.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • DeadCalm
    RichN95 wrote:
    Time trial result

In fairness to Cadel, he was only a second slower than Andy Schleck.
    Team My Man 2022:

• ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,232
    DeadCalm wrote:

In a TT, when has that ever been a good thing?
  • frenchfighter
    Is he going to show something tomorrow. Is Dombrowski going to show something tomorrow. Or are they going to bury themselves for Porte or Froome and fade into obscurity.

jonathan-tiernan-locke-criterium-international_2919386.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,232
    They're already a man down with Boswell, which may impact their tactics... But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed when looking for the first signs of JTL being JTL at P-N - but then it turned out he had the sh!ts. Have to keep reminding myself it's all about the Ardennes...

I'd also be lying if I denied that all the tedious and insidious Sky sniping may have momentarily had its desired affect when I wondered if they'd bought JTL up in order to prevent him giving them grief in the same way that J-Rod and Quintana, etc, do...
    Fortunately, like a bout of chronic wind, this vile thought passed and like all the other good cult members, I could re-align myself with The Master-Plan of Lord Dave of Brailsford...
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Is he going to show something tomorrow. Is Dombrowski going to show something tomorrow. Or are they going to bury themselves, serving their team & gaining valuable experience in the knowledge that their time will come to have a fully committed squad at their disposal, like Porte and Froome this year.

jonathan-tiernan-locke-criterium-international_2919386.jpg

FTFY These riders would not get the opportunity to ride as you suggest at any other team at the moment. It's a beef too far in my opinion. Same as your comments about Kiryienka. Would he prefer to ride in a team like Jens, surviving on a ration of a couple of death or glory missions each year? Or participate in a GT-contending squad, knowing that he'll get a chance of support in a suitable classic/one-weeker at some future date?
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,326
    Is he going to show something tomorrow. Is Dombrowski going to show something tomorrow. Or are they going to bury themselves for Porte or Froome and fade into obscurity.

That would be the Richie Porte who got given the Volta ao Agarve last season, buried himself for his team leader the rest of the year and was rewarded with Paris-Nice this season?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • frenchfighter
    To be honest Macaloon, I am coming from a selfish point of view in being interested in the JTL flair I have seen in the past and the promise of Joe D. Whether that is best for their development is another matter! Being a short and not so important race I was/am hoping that whoever chooses to have a go can do. Even if it is one going for it early and chancing his luck and the rest working in service of current jersey holder Porte.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    Do we have to have the snide swipes at Sky on every single thread?

It's silly and childish.

Please stop.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • daviegb
    daviegb Posts: 126
    Evans appears to have had a 'moment' on the descent in the TT & nearly came off - not so much poor form as poor control of his bike.

Looking forward to seeing if Team Sky can control the final climb with Talansky & TJVG paying close attention in the GC. Not a major race I know, but could still be exciting!
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    To be honest Macaloon, I am coming from a selfish point of view in being interested in the JTL flair I have seen in the past and the promise of Joe D. Whether that is best for their development is another matter! Being a short and not so important race I was/am hoping that whoever chooses to have a go can do. Even if it is one going for it early and chancing his luck and the rest working in service of current jersey holder Porte.

Roger that. It is true that lesser races offer good tests for newer riders and it would be an interesting "PR" move to see Porte and Froome driving the train for JTL/Dombo. Or to use JTL to to force others to work/lose their minds ala Talansky. Most unlikely to happen...
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • frenchfighter
    He definitely is made to TT:
    RichiePorteCriterium4533_2919456_zps9f14ea57.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    the dogmas are pretty bad, but those graals are a whole 'nother level of awfulness
  • tailwindhome
    Highlights on ITV4 9pm tonight.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Do we have to have the snide swipes at Sky on every single thread?

It's silly and childish.

Please stop.

This.

It's like a 'one-policy-party' campaigning at election time. Boring and we don't need to hear it all the time.

The best way to combat it is to put frenchfighter on your ignore list - but sadly his posts still show up if someone else quotes them.
  • DeadCalm
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:

In a TT, when has that ever been a good thing?
    I think I was probably being sarcastic.

Edit: Cadel has confirmed he'll be riding as a domestique today.
    Team My Man 2022:

• frenchfighter
    ^^Why don't you guys post something interesting about the race other than complaining?

I have said I am not talking Sky train on spoiler threads much more and I wasnt above.

Enjoy the race today and enjoy the photos I will post later.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    I have said I am not talking Sky train on spoiler threads much more and I wasnt above.

You did say that.

Do try hard.

You post some great stuff but should reflect that the Sky bashing is as boring as the constant Contador baiting from other posters, yet without the beef/steak puns.
  • frenchfighter

You did say that.

Do try hard.

You post some great stuff but should reflect that the Sky bashing is as boring as the constant Contador baiting from other posters, yet without the beef/steak puns.
    I wasnt above.

No more discussion on the matter.

Got any updates on this race or do you want me to post them?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    Got any updates on this race or do you want me to post them?

I'm happy for you to post them as you see fit.

Though do try to restrict them to the correct thread this time. It's embarrassing when you lose control of your emotions and I'd appreciate the opportunity to enjoy ITV4's coverage this evening

Thanks

Discussion over.