Is Oscar Pistorius getting unfair press ?

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    edited February 2013
    Garry H wrote:
    typekitty wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    set up in whatcway?

Sorry, set up wasn't the right phrase at all. In short, agreeing with the OP.
    But the op thinks that he was set up, which to me implies framed for her killing by someone else. Don' you just mean you think thatvthe prosecution has a weak case?

Think if the OP changed the title and removes the "being set up" to "unfair press" then if you reread what he has put it does make more sense.

But as someone else mentioned the legal system in SA is more open that we would get in the UK and is not unlike the OJ Simpson trial. Plus he is one of SA biggest stars so you can kind of understand (even if you don't agree with the way some sections of the press report things) the massive interest in the country.

Yes,i'm the one yhat mentioned yhe court system.

With the way this pre-trial hearing is going who knows what is going to come out today, we've had claims and counter claims and I find some credible and others rather beyond belief.

Damned Android :evil:

Yes, I've already said everything above, including the bit about the court system.

Anyhoo, he's now been granted bail.
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    He's been given bail............LMFAO.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    On the grounds of not wanting people to get so upset that they start throwing themselfs under trucks I have changed the offending wording from set up to unfair press as suggested earlier.
    Living MY dream.
  • VTech
    On the grounds of not wanting people to get so upset that they start throwing themselfs under trucks I have changed the offending wording from set up to unfair press as suggested earlier.
    Living MY dream.
  • Garry H
    Pross wrote:
    I'm always amused that when numerous people 'misunderstand' the meaning intended by a person posting on a forum it is because all those people are stupid and not becuase the original post is an ill thought out, rambling mess of words.

?

I'd have thought it was the other way round, one person misunderstanding may be a bit stupid but when numerous people misunderstand its its a mixture of stupid people and a not well presented post.

Either way I'll put my hand up and say I am one of the stupid ones :|

I think Pross means the opposite of what he's saying. Or am I stupid? :wink:
  • Garry H
    VTech wrote:

Then no, I don't believe he is. (I'll ignore the rest of your churlish comment)
  • Garry H wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    I'm always amused that when numerous people 'misunderstand' the meaning intended by a person posting on a forum it is because all those people are stupid and not becuase the original post is an ill thought out, rambling mess of words.

?

I'd have thought it was the other way round, one person misunderstanding may be a bit stupid but when numerous people misunderstand its its a mixture of stupid people and a not well presented post.

If your right I have just proved my point about me being stupid :oops:
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Garry H
    Garry H wrote:
    Pross wrote:

?

Don't worry, I don't think you're stupid :)
  • VTech
    Garry H wrote:
    VTech wrote:

But it wants childish. You getting yourself into a dither about wording of a comment was the childish part.
    It is a common turn of phrase to say someone is being set up by the press. Like. It to the common phrase "being set up or a fall"
    I posted a question and people took it as a personal insult. Ironically, the same people who moan in several of my posts.
    Living MY dream.
  • Garry H
    VTech wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    VTech wrote:

But it wants childish. You getting yourself into a dither about wording of a comment was the childish part.
    It is a common turn of phrase to say someone is being set up by the press. Like. It to the common phrase "being set up or a fall"
    I posted a question and people took it as a personal insult. Ironically, the same people who moan in several of my posts.

I meant the part contained within the quote. Nobody was insulted or upset, you're being paranoid.

Are you posting from an Android phone as well?
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    If anything I think there is a conspiracy to get him found innocent.. from the tone of the magistrate's ruling on bail the quality of the investigation has been woeful so far.
  • VTech wrote:

If people are that upset don't worry about it.

I don't think anyone was suggesting that the word was offensive. I certainly wasn't but if you re-read your statement with both titles its does have a different slant. Set up suggests that he did not do it and there is some conspiracy to convict him, unfair press suggests that he did something either deliberate or as an accident but is being chastised by the press.

As for anyone giving you a hard time or taking things you say personally ignore them its only words.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Garry H
    If anything I think there is a conspiracy to get him found innocent.. from the tone of the magistrate's ruling on bail the quality of the investigation has been woeful so far.

'twould seem thus! Seems down to the balance between the ineptitude of the police and the somewhat odd reasoning of events given by OP himself.
  • Just reading the BBC round up of the hearing - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-21548865

One thing that struck me was this part though;
    "The prosecutors sought to portray Mr Pistorius as man with a history of violence who was likely to flee the country.

But the defence argued it would be impossible for Mr Pistorius to flee because his prosthetic legs would be noticed wherever he went."

Seems a rather flimsy case for bail if this could be scuppered by oh I don't know a pair of trousers
  • Garry H
    Just reading the BBC round up of the hearing - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-21548865

"The prosecutors sought to portray Mr Pistorius as man with a history of violence who was likely to flee the country.

But the defence argued it would be impossible for Mr Pistorius to flee because his prosthetic legs would be noticed wherever he went."

Seems a rather flimsy case for bail if this could be scuppered by oh I don't know a pair of trousers

:lol:

I had also heard that part of their argument was that he had amassed considerable wealth in overseas accounts.

I think you were correct somewhere above, OJ Simpson all over again.

Can't wait for the trial to start!
  • Garry H wrote:
    Just reading the BBC round up of the hearing - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-21548865

:lol:

I had also heard that part of their argument was that he had amassed considerable wealth in overseas accounts.

I think you were correct somewhere above, OJ Simpson all over again.

Can't wait for the trial to start!

I think I saw a news report stating the another part of the case for not getting bail was if he did flee the SA Government do not have much power to extradite him back to SA citing the Dewani case as an example.
  • VTech
    I dont think it would serve him well not to stand trial. He probably has a fair chance of walking away from this.
    Living MY dream.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    Garry H wrote:
    Pross wrote:

?

Yeah, I was being sarcastic.

Well, he might have been getting set up or having unfair press but he's enjoying a few months of freedom (or at least relative freedom) before the actual trial. It looks like justice at play to me - a judge listening to both sides of the actual argument, ignoring anything outside of the courtroom and making an informed decision.
  • Garry H
    VTech wrote:
    I dont think it would serve him well not to stand trial. He probably has a fair chance of walking away from this.

Puns intended?
  • Garry H wrote:

'twould seem thus! Seems down to the balance between the ineptitude of the police and the somewhat odd reasoning of events given by OP himself.

I think this seems to sum it up. There are some big holes in the fundamental presentation of the prosecution case (notwithstanding the chief investigating officer being personally investigated) and so it seems a fair resolution for the moment.

Hopefully it is a wake up call for the prosecution. That is not to say that I think he is guilty but they really do need to get their ducks in a row when presenting their case.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Excellent trolling from the OP, made me chuckle with every new post. I dare not consider the possibility that he is posting in earnest.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Glad he"s been bailed, song wouldn't have worked anyway.

Free,
    free free free Oscar Pistorious
    Free Oscar Piistorious
    Not 21 days in captivity
    Shoes to small to fit his.....
  • Garry H
    steerpike wrote:
    Excellent trolling from the OP, made me chuckle with every new post. I dare not consider the possibility that he is posting in earnest.

I'm now back to thinking the same. It's the kindest option.
  • sadly, by getting bail he's avoiding the dry bumming he so richly deserves.
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • sadly, by getting bail he's avoiding the dry bumming he so richly deserves.

Prey do tell why would he deserve such a welcome from the penal colony reception party?
  • coz he's as guilty as fupp!
  • coz he's as guilty as fupp!

Sorry to point out a massive flaw in your plan but if he is guilty at his trial he will go to jail & have to do the whole soap on a rope thing :(
  • VTech
    coz he's as guilty as fupp!

Sorry to point out a massive flaw in your plan but if he is guilty at his trial he will go to jail & have to do the whole soap on a rope thing :(

And that statement from 'fast as fupp' confirms my post had integrity.
    He hasn't even been tried yet and people want him raped. It's quite sick.
    If he is guilty he will get what's coming but finding a man guilty without trial is going back to the days of hanging witches.
    Living MY dream.
  • i'm pulling yer chain lad-dont have a cow!

mind you, trial by ducking stool may be the way forward?
  • i'm pulling yer chain lad-dont have a cow!

mind you, trial by ducking stool may be the way forward?

Might only confirm he is a witch though :lol:
This discussion has been closed.