Is Oscar Pistorius getting unfair press ?

VTech
VTech Posts: 4,736
edited March 2014 in The cake stop
Ive read a few things about this now and obviously I have no idea what happened but I do get the feeling he is getting unfair press, there is no evidence he committed murder and today it was said that the total evidence from the police is that a neighbour reported to hear them arguing through the evening prior to the shooting.
This initially had me thinking "did he ?" but today the defence said that the neighbour is over 300m away :!: :?: :!:
Now my neighbour is closer than that and she has never heard me ripping into the kids for playing up !
I cant understand why he hasnt been released yet, there are no other people involved and so he shouldnt pose a threat being released and im a believer in innocent until proven guilty.

Another thing that I believe is an issue is the fact that there had been a spate of burglaries locally and they are known to kill people with ease as is the norm with African crime, like it is in the Caribbean, they like not to leave whiteness'.

Your thoughts ?
Living MY dream.

Comments

• who is 'they' ?
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • VTech
    ? sorry if that wasnt understandable, they = burglars that kill without question when caught in or on properties.
    Living MY dream.
  • there werent any burglars though- only oscar with his six shooter!

and a nark on?
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Gabbo
    Gabbo Posts: 864
    Didn't Oscar admit to killing his girlfriend? Or are you trying to say that he's pleaded not guilty as the killer but the media are masking it up as him?

The debate at present is whether it was premeditated murder, or complete mistake...
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    He knew she was in the house yet assumed the person in the bathroom was a burglar? Think I'd have shouted her name a few times before letting rip with the shots.

Even if you buy the burglar alibi it seems a bit weird that he didn't at least check that the person he was going to shoot a wasn't his gf.

Set up my arse!
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    edited February 2013
    Is this a shite attempt at trolling? If not then it's the most ill-informed opinion of the incident i've yet to read. Have you been drinking dude? :lol:
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I think the main question is... will they let him have his legs in jail?

I'm thinking no since they could be used as a weapon?
  • Garry H
    I think the main question is... will they let him have his legs in jail?

I'm thinking no since they could be used as a weapon?
    Do you think they'll give him a skateboard instead?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    rodgers73 wrote:
    He knew she was in the house yet assumed the person in the bathroom was a burglar? Think I'd have shouted her name a few times before letting rip with the shots.

Even if you buy the burglar alibi it seems a bit weird that he didn't at least check that the person he was going to shoot a wasn't his gf.

Set up my ars*!

According to his testimony today:

"I believed that someone had entered my house. I was too scared to switch a light on. I grabbed my 9mm pistol from underneath my bed. On my way to the bathroom I screamed words to the effect for him/them to get out of my house and for Reeva to phone the police. It was pitch dark in the bedroom and I thought Reeva was in bed."

Which makes it even more strange/implausible if you ask me. He shouts "Reeva phone the police" and she doesn't answer him? Really?

Anyway, this whole thing has the whiff of OJ Simpson about it.
  • The prosecution doesn't have much, from what I read. To be honest, I thought the same thing myself (him being set up, or made an example of).

However, the thing that troubles me is that he never once checked on Reeva. I know for a fact that I'd receive instruction from my mister if there was even a hint of danger (either stay put all call the police)! Like others have said, there would have been some kind of communication.

Hard one to call. And on the neighbours, I read that they were 600m away?
  • Garry H
    typekitty wrote:
    The prosecution doesn't have much, from what I read. To be honest, I thought the same thing myself (him being set up, or made an example of).

However, the thing that troubles me is that he never once checked on Reeva. I know for a fact that I'd receive instruction from my mister if there was even a hint of danger (either stay put all call the police)! Like others have said, there would have been some kind of communication.

Hard one to call. And on the neighbours, I read that they were 600m away?

set up in whatcway?
  • Garry H wrote:
    set up in whatcway?

Sorry, set up wasn't the right phrase at all. In short, agreeing with the OP.
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    AFAIA Oscar has agreed that he killed her, but he is saying it wasn't premeditated.
    If it was premeditated he won't get bail, if it's manslaughter (as its known in the UK) he will get bail.

So far we've just had the bail hearing, which will continue tomorrow
  • Garry H
    typekitty wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    set up in whatcway?

Sorry, set up wasn't the right phrase at all. In short, agreeing with the OP.
    But the op thinks that he was set up, which to me implies framed for her killing by someone else. Don' you just mean you think thatvthe prosecution has a weak case?
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    I thought it was strange that his girlfriend went to the toilet in the middle of the night and locked the toilet door.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • Garry H
    KentPhil wrote:
    I thought it was strange that his girlfriend went to the toilet in the middle of the night and locked the toilet door.

thought the same. also, does he sleep with his prosthetics on?

Whatever happened, lance aint the baddest boy in sport no more!
  • Your thoughts ?
    You'd be a liability in a jury – too much speculation.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    The prosecution would seem to have a pretty weak case for premeditated murder from all I've read, but even if every word of what Pistorius says is true I can't see how he could avoid a conviction for manslaughter - to blast four rounds through a bathroom door without having a clue who might be behind it (but knowing SOMEONE was) is reckless in the extreme.
  • VTech
    It's odd how some people read into other people's posts.
    When I said set up I was referring to prosecuting the man for murder which is what's happening. At no point did I even mildly suggest he didnt kill her, that was based in the fact that he has admitted that he did in fact kill her !!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, just read that the lead investigator against him is himself on murder charges (wtf) !
    Not sure if this is right but there seems to be a witch hunt !
    Living MY dream.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    VTech wrote:
    It's odd how some people read into other people's posts.
    When I said set up I was referring to prosecuting the man for murder which is what's happening. At no point did I even mildly suggest he didnt kill her, that was based in the fact that he has admitted that he did in fact kill her !!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, just read that the lead investigator against him is himself on murder charges (wtf) !
    Not sure if this is right but there seems to be a witch hunt !

Its not a witch hunt.. its called a bail hearing. Who knows what you're going to think when he actually goes to trial?!?! :lol:
  • VTech
    I really do love this place. People here would try and argue out of a lottery win !
    I'm quite aware it's a bail hearing and obviously wast referring to the case direct or the charges. I was referring to the media attention and yes, of course it's a witch hunt as it always will be in such scenarios.
    Living MY dream.
  • Sick of hearing about horsemeat, sick of hearing about Pistorius.
    Bring on the next celebrity fuelled scandal.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    VTech wrote:
    Ive read a few things about this now and obviously I have no idea what happened but I do get the feeling he is getting unfair press, there is no evidence he committed murder and today it was said that the total evidence from the police is that a neighbour reported to hear them arguing through the evening prior to the shooting.
    There was no evidence Saint ALnce had doped - so why did peopple go one about him doping?
    This initially had me thinking "did he ?" but today the defence said that the neighbour is over 300m away :!: :?: :!:
    Now my neighbour is closer than that and she has never heard me ripping into the kids for playing up !
    I cant understand why he hasnt been released yet, there are no other people involved and so he shouldnt pose a threat being released and im a believer in innocent until proven guilty.
    Why has he not been released? Probably because the bail hearing has not been concluded yet. The court are currently hearing his bail application.

in most jurisdictions, then tend to have the bail application BEFORE deciding whether or not to grant bail.

A bail decision is not a decision as to whether someone is innocent or guilty, it is a decision to decide the defendant's status ie bail or custody pending a trial.

Another thing that I believe is an issue is the fact that there had been a spate of burglaries locally and they are known to kill people with ease as is the norm with African crime, like it is in the Caribbean, they like not to leave whiteness'.

Your thoughts ?

My thoughts? You are being incredibly naive and choosing to ignore the evidence that points towards guilt and selectively only chosing issues that point away from guilt
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Garry H
    VTech wrote:
    I really do love this place. People here would try and argue out of a lottery win !
    I'm quite aware it's a bail hearing and obviously wast referring to the case direct or the charges. I was referring to the media attention and yes, of course it's a witch hunt as it always will be in such scenarios.

the prosecution,rightly or wrongly, believe that he is a flight risk (he has a number of overseas bank accounts) and also that that the best way of denying bail would be to go down the pre meditated route. How is that a set up or a witch hunt? You have a whiff of the conspiracy theorist about you!
  • VTech
    I accept your points but if that were the case, everyone who was questioned for a crime would be in jail and we would have no Jury.
    I am not arguing over bail hearing, I am not arguing over the legal system, I think he should be treated as a normal person and in his country there are terrible crimes where people are shot during robberies on a daily basis.

I HAVE NO ISSUE WITH THE LEGAL SYSTEM IN AFRICA

Just in case anyone was wondering.

My point is aimed at media, MEDIA, MEDIA, MEDIA.
    It is wrong in any society for someone to be guilty before a trial, its what keeps justice in order and even then mistakes are made.
    It is morally wrong to judge anyone before trial, its the sanctity of society to give someone a chance to explain before his or her peers.

And before anyone questions what I have wrote you need only read the posts above to view peoples thoughts which will be echoed around world. You need to put yourself in someones shoes (pun not intended) before judging, if you lived in a community/country where life was cheaper than here and you knew that if you disturbed a burglar, the chances are you would be shot or stabbed how would you react ?

Of course it could also be the case that he killed her, I dont know, but for me I just look at whats happened, I have no alternative but to ask myself, what did he have to gain ?
    He is rich, they are not married, in fact only together 2 months so if he didnt want her he could simply ship her out.
    Thats not to say he still didnt do it, I just dont like the thought of people finding people guilty before a court has ruled.

This of course is only my opinion and if I have dramatically upset anyone with my ramblings then please accept this sentence as a very sorrowful apology, sent from the heart.
    Living MY dream.
  • spen666
    Your thoughts ?
    You'd be a liability in a jury – too much speculation.

Were they also on the Pryce jury?

Twittering @spen_666
  • VTech
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    The prosecution would seem to have a pretty weak case for premeditated murder from all I've read, but even if every word of what Pistorius says is true I can't see how he could avoid a conviction for manslaughter - to blast four rounds through a bathroom door without having a clue who might be behind it (but knowing SOMEONE was) is reckless in the extreme.

I think this (if all that is being said in the news is true) is the best all round summery.
    Living MY dream.
  • spen666
    VTech wrote:
    Hoopdriver wrote:

I think this (if all that is being said in the news is true) is the best all round summery.

Its amazing you are deciding the strength of the prosecution case despite the trial not having commenced

You seem to slate the media on one hand and then use the media reporting of the bail application to form your verdicts

Strange

Twittering @spen_666
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Correct me if im wrong but im sure i read somewhere that the bullets that were fired were fired from a gun pointing towards the floor execution stylee.

Secondly,why was his brother and lawyer at the scene before the police ?
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • VTech
    Even after the above comments I made you guys seem to be insinuating im on his side ? Thats the incredibly strange thing as im not, im simply on the side of justice. He is innocent, thats an absolute fact, and will remain so until/if he is proven guilty.

My comments really dont need clarification to anyone with the ability to read (no offence intended)
    Living MY dream.
This discussion has been closed.