Tour of Oman 2013 **SPOILERS**

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,172
    If you prefer your highlights with Carl Orff style dramatic music rather than phil s, then here's the official highlights:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSevuE4a ... Gg&index=1
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Nice kick by Froome.. he's looking strong!
  • phil s wrote:
    Oman has a lot more colour and contrast, smiling faces and wicked roads for cycling

Good to know my thoughts from the years of watching the photos and video of the race that a man on the ground has said the same thing.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,956
    Cannondale Pro Cycling

Tour of Oman: this morning Peter Sagan did not take part in the fifth stage due to acute tracheo-bronchitis and fever. Team decide for precautionary withdrawal
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    calvjones wrote:
    Sonny73 wrote:
    Yeh for sure. Sounds like a great end to the stage, look forward to seeing the highlights on ES.

Tomorrow I assume?

Yes, well today now :)
  • tailwindhome
    I'm a simple sort, but there's something I don't get.

Wiggins is aiming for the Giro in May (10 weeks give or take)

Should Wiggins not be in better shape/ be team leader by now?

Also it occurs that everyone else should be damn glad that there are no bonus seconds in the Tour for JRod
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    The official Twitter feed is making this sound like one of the great stage-race stages!

Surely some live TV next year?????
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • tailwindhome
    Contador tearing it up with a 17" lead over Froome in a chase group of 3
  • tailwindhome
    Twitter updated 1 min later to say that Contador, Froome and JRod together
  • tailwindhome
    12.5k to go
  • tailwindhome
    BDInOLhCEAANG7V.jpg

Sorry bout the picture FF. I didn't take it though ;)
  • tailwindhome
    Contador attacks on the descent.

Evans 18" further back
  • tailwindhome
    Tour of Oman - LIVE ‏@TourofOman_live

Three leaders are back together. Evans group of around 12 is working to catch leaders who are 15 seconds ahead. #TOO13
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I'm a simple sort, but there's something I don't get.

Wiggins is aiming for the Giro in May (10 weeks give or take)

Should Wiggins not be in better shape/ be team leader by now?

Also it occurs that everyone else should be damn glad that there are no bonus seconds in the Tour for JRod

With the lack of coverage it's pretty hard to say whether Wiggins is in shape or not. He went to Oman saying that Froome was going to be team leader, and with there being no TT this year, this race was never going to suit him. For all we know he might have sat on the front towing the bunch along for 20KM before freewheeling over the line 5 minutes down.

As for J Rod, there is still over 60KM of Individual TTing in the 2013 Tour, so even if he was to win 4 stages with an uphill finish he'd probably still not gain the time he needs over guys like Contador and Froome, who can climb and TT.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • tailwindhome

We are now 3K from the finish at the Ministry of Housing in Boshar. 20" for three race leaders. #TOO13
  • tailwindhome
    Chase group: Evans, Impey, Hernandez, Tschopp, Pozzovivo, Nocentini and Stybar
  • tailwindhome
    My money is on JRod
  • tailwindhome
    Contador attacks again. Froome brings him back and gets a gap
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    Frenchie's going to be orgasmic today isnt he...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • tailwindhome

Froome wins stage 5 of #TOO13. Contador second, Rodriguez third.
  • tailwindhome
    My money is on JRod

Figurative money only ;)
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    edited February 2013
    TourofOman_live has been great but this is NOT the race to watch on Ceefax. On the bright side, Alberto seems to be developing a kamikaze multi-attack strategy to get rid of the Sky train. Might make mtns bit more gladitorial this year. Froome goes from near death to devastating several times a climb.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I think the UCI have missed out big time by not having this race available on tv. It sounds as thought it has been ace, with some of the real stars of cycling giving it a real go and would have been a fantastic way to start the season from the muck of the past few months.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited February 2013
    So the Shark and Contdor (both can be counted on to race. to attack. never to give up).

Then Contador attacks again.

Hernandez is in the break for Contador.

He comes within 15secs over the KOM.

He bridges.

The group behind bride also (no news yet whether SKY used their huge budget riders to to diesel Froome up)

30 riders together including all those that count. Impey is in there and can sprint (and climbed very well yday)

Break gets trimmed to 18 riders

There is a chase group about 50 secs behind (inc Gallopin, Cancellara, Wiggins, Gilbert and Ellisonde)

Three ascents of Bousher Almarat in this stage.

Champion Contador launches an attack with faithful Hernadez, Evans latches but Froome is dropped.

Contador powers up the afterburners and drops Evans. Now he is solo.

J-Rod, Froome and another come up to Evans and he cant hold their wheels. Contador has 17 secs.

J-Rod and Froome bridge to Contador but Contador had taken the 3 seconds at the sprint. They have 18 secs on Evans.

Contador attacks on the descent.

Chase group: Evans, Impey, Hernandez, Tschopp, Pozzovivo, Nocentini and Stybar are 10 secs behind.

Contador atatcks again. Froome neurtalises and goes himself. The three are back together and then J-Rod launches a sprint. Amazingly both Froome and Contador beat him.

Froome wins with Contador 2nd and JRod 3rd.
    4. Impey, 5. Stybar, 6. Nocentini, 7. Tschoop, 8. Evans, 9. Hernandez, 10. Pozzovivo.

-

Once again Contador made the race and made it incredibly exciting. He never gives up. It would have been great if he could have got a stage at least for his efforts. Froome has got great legs and motivation and deserves his win. The Grand Tours where they face off will be amazing. Nibali off the pace.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    BDIrUdjCQAAwkF0.jpg:large
  • Macaloon
    BDIruWMCQAAqeVE.jpg:large
  • Macaloon
    The group behind bride also (no news yet whether SKY used their huge budget riders to to diesel Froome up)

Once again Contador made the race and made it incredibly exciting. He never gives up. It would have been great if he could have got a stage at least for his efforts. Froome has got great legs and motivation and deserves his win. The Grand Tours where they face off will be amazing. Nibali off the pace.

We can see now that Sky only looked so dominant last year because Contador was absent and everybody left was scared or not good enough. Last two stages have ended with hand-to-hand combat over extended finales where you risk taking a packet if you blow. Outstanding :D
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Sounds like a really great stage finish to watch, lack of coverage is a real disappointment.

Great to see the big boys going hard so early in the year, usually early season caveats apply of course.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,138
    mroli wrote:
    I think the UCI have missed out big time by not having this race available on tv. It sounds as thought it has been ace, with some of the real stars of cycling giving it a real go and would have been a fantastic way to start the season from the muck of the past few months.

The UCI are the governing body of the sport, not a broadcaster.
  • tailwindhome
    BDIscDyCAAAtMZi.jpg:large