The Secret Pro

Comments

• rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,844
    BMC are also using Giro helmets this year Frenchie.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    and IAM.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Ah yes, thanks Rozzer. Checking those, there were no Aussies in those three teams and only Gilbert who raced all three but he wouldn't fit the bill.

Got it on IAM. They weren't in TdU, but Haussler rode both MSR and GW.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Talk of shortening those two races does not necessarily mean that the rider rode both of them
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986

Haussler is still too busy crying over his MSR loss to be able to write a column.
  • rozzer32

Haussler is still too busy crying over his MSR loss to be able to write a column.

And Haussler is a classics man. He certainly wouldn't be peaking for the tour.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Think Bauer fits the bill quite well.

Very much doubt it's an Aussie

It won't be a big race/Tour favourite - can't see team managment letting them take the time out to write a column for a blog and risk making potentially damaging comments.

Middle of the road rider doing a bit of writing for fun I imagine.
  • pomtarr
    pomtarr Posts: 318
    rozzer32 wrote:
    And Haussler is a classics man. He certainly wouldn't be peaking for the tour.
    He won a stage in the 2009 Tour.
    "Difficult, difficult, lemon difficult"
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Seriously underwhelming read.

I could have written it'
  • I originally thought it was Koen de Kort, but now can't really be arsed figuring out who it actually is. I find this blog generally uninspiring, uninteresting and hardly involving the sort of words that merit the tag 'secret'. So far the most risque thing written is that the helmets they wear on their heads make the riders look like helmets.

As far as current professionals writing, I find Jonathan Lovelock's articles in theroar, ride mag and cyclingtips usually far more interesting and I'm sure there'd be others too.
  • rozzer32
    Those sneaky Russians are also using giro helmets too.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,411
    To be fair, the only reason I'm interested in finding out who it is, is to tell them to write something interesting next time, and if possible take some creative writing / journalism lessons.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • frenchfighter
    Not many clues in the latest installment apart from the fact he was racing Tour of Turkey. Cross referencing riders in that plus all the other races mentioned should narrow it down considerably.

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2013/05/the-secret-pro-2/
    Contador is the Greatest
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    can't think it would be Bauer. He's not really had enough experience at this level to say he get's to the top of his game in July to vie for a place in the TdF.
  • frenchfighter
    For those thinking it is Koen de Kort, note that CTips also have the following going on:

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2013/05/ask-k ... ode-three/
    Contador is the Greatest
  • One time I hopped onto the footpath and made it all the way from the back of the field to the front, but then I saw a massive barricade in front of me. Myself and another rider had to get off, jump over the barricade, and join back in at the back of the field. We went from being almost at the front of the field to the back in about ten seconds. My teammates spent days taking the piss out of me!
    I seem to remember this being picked up by the cameras, or certainly something that was very like it... The only race I watched this spring was the Amstel Gold.
    Twitter: @FunkyMrMagic
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    For those thinking it is Koen de Kort, note that CTips also have the following going on:

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2013/05/ask-k ... ode-three/

That's what gave me the idea. The Secret Pro columns read like random edits stuck together. All the uncontroversial stuff goes under his name. Wonder how comfortable the Pro is (assuming it's actually one person) in the light of the UCI_Overdrawn scandal.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    Not a unique opinion, but I really can't see it being one person. The Pro peloton is too small to hide for long, as every story (if honest) is a clue to his identity. If it is one person, I'd wager a good number of his stories are those of team mates or friends, if not made up altogether.
  • sunburntknees
    sunburntknees Posts: 272
    Must be an Aussie given his comments about Matt Keenan and Cadel Evans.
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400

You mean it wasn't made up by cycling tips. It's still just tittle tattle.

This kind of rumour is two a penny in all workplaces. I used to worrk with a guy who reckoned he used to be able to ride a 10 in under 22 minutes, but i've never seen him at a TT and whenever we ride together he's always struggling to stay on my wheel (and I am not fast, by any standards).
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • frenchfighter
    Not sure what your point is. Some people were suggesting it wasn`t from a pro. It is.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inkyfingers
    Not sure what your point is. Some people were suggesting it wasn`t from a pro. It is.

I'm not saying the source isn't genuine. Cycling tips seems like a pretty reliable site, though I take all these things with a hefty pinch of salt, especially as I know that the site recently went from being a fan site to being the guys actual job.

My real point is whether it serves any purpose other than to create discussion on twitter or on their blog. It's so unspecific as to be frankly useless as a piece of reporting, the only thing more damaging to the sport than doping stories is unqualified, unspecific allegations, made by somebody hiding behind a nom de plume. Without more details it's just Cyclismas/Festinagirl level gossip.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • frenchfighter
    Got it. I found it interesting reading so your `useless` is harsh. Maybe it has some purpose to create traffic but nothing wrong with that. Particularly given this guy`s site is excellent. Much better than 80% of the tat out there.

You can also get too het up about `transparency` etc. I guess some people (twitter idiots) like to get on their high horse about it.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inkyfingers
    It's interesting reading, i'll give you that. But I fail to see what "use" a story like that has with so little detail, it is just gossip, which leads on to people on twitter and forums using it as a basis to name people (Basso, Cobo etc). I'm just as bad, first name I thought of was Cobo. If anything it damages the credibility of an otherwise good site.

Don't get me started about twitter users and "credibility" and "transparency"....

This guy just nailed it on twitter. He's a smart guy and well worth a follow :wink:

Dave Powell ‏@davrosspeaks 15m
    Quite amusing watching a load of twitter people, writing under nom de plumes arguing about credibility. Like bald men arguing over a comb.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    It's nice to see Cyclismas wading in to things they know nothing about and getting it wrong as usual. Some good lesson learning went on there. :roll:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,895
    Matt Keenan should commentate on every race? Please no, he sends me to sleep!
  • frenchfighter
    which leads on to people on twitter and forums using it as a basis to name people (Basso, Cobo etc). I'm just as bad, first name I thought of was Cobo. If anything it damages the credibility of an otherwise good site

I see your points and more or less agree.

The site owner cant be responsible for some people (twitter idiots; often the same ppl posting tosh on this forum) making stupid comments. Not that those ppl`s opinions count for anything anyway.

More Secret Pro.

And I think there is a lot to be said for anonymity used in the right places in the right way.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,895
    I'm not sure about that Frenchie. It is still just gossip otherwise if there is anything substantial behind the gossip the person with that knowledge should report it to the relevant authorities.

The bit about the Tour of Turkey winner was actually worrying. Either he doped or he didn't but if someone was trying to bribe him to drop out that is totally wrong, the should either have raised their concerns publicly or left him to race rather than try to hush up something that may or may not have happened.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    The 'Secret' Po?

pic-meet-char-po.jpg

Everyone who is anyone knows that Po was played by CBeebies own 'Pui Fan Lee' of ShowMeShowMe:

223showmeshowme2.jpg

Discussion over.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey