Womens Cycling

Comments

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    skylla wrote:
    ps: gallopin' is a nice name for a rider!

Nomanitive determinism. Also: Swift (sometimes), Ryder, ....
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    So in what language does Farrar mean rubbish then...? :P
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Women in general are not viewers of sport because about 98% of sports coverage in the UK is about men playing sport. It's one of the last bastions of exclusively male culture.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Elisa Longo won Trofeo Binda today. It's a nice little race and I wish we could get footage. If anyone chances on some highlights or race footage, please post up.
    Karl Lima @Karl_Lima_Hitec
    My hero of the day? @rachneylan silvermedalist in the worlds, gave her wheel to winner @ElisaLongoB teamwork is not just nice words.

Pooley won solo in 2011 with a break of 70km!
    viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12767593

Andyp posted up when she won in 08 also
    viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12563161
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Kristin Wilde won the Womens G-W
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    ddraver wrote:
    Kristin Wilde won the Womens G-W

While sprinting with her hands on the top of her bars apparently. I wonder if they were just too cold to move?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • frenchfighter
    If it is good enough for Cancellara...
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    If it is good enough for Cancellara...

Not on the hoods Frenchie, actually on the top of the bars, she goes one better than Canc.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • frenchfighter
    Gotcha!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Elisa Longo won Trofeo Binda today. It's a nice little race and I wish we could get footage. If anyone chances on some highlights or race footage, please post up.

Highlights will be on the UCI YouTube channel later:

UCI Women Road World Cup makes its presence felt on YouTube
  • frenchfighter
    Great stuff, thanks.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,036
    Cool, just found the same link on Youtube.

Next big date: Fleche Wallonne 17 avril.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • frenchfighter
    Thanks Le Commentateur
    Contador is the Greatest
  • That was the first Italian to win for several years, previously it had been either Pooley and Vos's race.

The conditions dampened the action a bit, I think, though from what I could see Ellen van Dijk had a few goes to try and force the pace of the chasing pack. Seems a group of 4 got away earlyish and from that quartet local girl Borghini then did a big solo effort to win. Her team-mate Emma Johansson looks to be in good form for later this week.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Talking of Pooley, what's she up to this year? I see she's got a team for this year, but also read that she was taking a break from racing.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,036
    Pooley's team is not UCI level. She's doing more a mentoring role apparently.

Lot of DNFs in the Binda including Eva Mottet, daugher of Charlie.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    davidof wrote:
    Pooley's team is not UCI level. She's doing more a mentoring role apparently.

Shame, one of the few riders who has a chance of challenging Vos in the hillier races.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • There's talk of BMC taking over the team at the end of the year. They're riding a stage race in Holland next week that some friends of mine are also in, so it will interesting to see how they compare.
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    That was the first Italian to win for several years, previously it had been either Pooley and Vos's race.

Nicole Cooke won it twice as well from memory. Tough race.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    davidof wrote:
    Lot of DNFs in the Binda including Eva Mottet, daugher of Charlie.
    And all 4 Brits taking part - Colclough, Armitstead, Trott (Emma), Garner - as well as several other well-known names (Bronzini, Olds, etc)
  • Pooley's finishing her PHD and there's talk she was a little disillusions with the number of team she's been on that have lost sponsors
  • She's actually guesting at a training camp in Mallorca this week and next.
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Laura Trott did well in her first pro race yesterday. Got into the breakaway and came 4th.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/trott-i ... ggle-honda
  • Yes, I saw Gilmore's tweet about it. Bodes well.

Intriguing having a player-manager.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Yes, I saw Gilmore's tweet about it. Bodes well.

Intriguing having a player-manager.

I've got a lot of time for Rochelle Gilmour and what she's trying to do to lift womens cycling eg decent salaries. Also smart targeting re their race program this year - not trying to tackle the likes of the Giro Donne, but focus on certain classics, sprints, and of course the Worlds TTT where their roster gives them a decent shot at a medal.

Signing up Linda Villumsen recently was a master stroke.

Energiewacht Tour starts today. Be interesting to see how Trott and King fare in a stage race - and how they do in the TT...
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    Energiewacht Tour starts today. Be interesting to see how Trott and King fare in a stage race - and how they do in the TT...
    Katie Colclough, Lucy Martin and Lizzie Armitstead also riding.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Laura Trott did well in her first pro race yesterday. Got into the breakaway and came 4th.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/trott-i ... ggle-honda
    That girl is absolutely dripping in talent and still so young.

I think the problem for her road racing will be that she is very focussed on the track and is already talking about how she wants to beat Hoy's medal tally.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.