Tour Down Under *spoiler*

Comments

• I hope Gerrans is close to the same form as last year going into the classics.
  • That's a real sod. Race always won and lost on this climb. Got to hand to Slagter and No-Neck Gerrans though, good rides by both.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    How predictable and boring is this race.

Gerrans does nothing then shoes his nose on Wilunga. Good job he got best last year by Valverde who actually also won before then also.

Funny reading the Cnews ticker - 'Slagter comes up with Gerrans ON HIS WHEEL'. The guy has no class.

Slagter has class and looks to be developing into a quality rider. Hope he continues in this vein.

Shame for Geraint - he did his best but got beat by a better man. There will be other opportunities. Great work by EBH towing him a hard as he could.

No Gilbert - I would expect him in the mix even if he is 'tired' from yday.

No Andy - not surprised although now he is supposedly in Aus to ride on the front in the wind, which is all fairness probably helps him strengthen up. However 12mins down is a joke.

No wonder it was seen as 'punishment' by French riders to be sent here.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Did you watch the race FF?

The one where Gerrans initiated the counter attack and Slagter grabbed his wheel?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Don't complicate this with facts Iain!!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    It is difficult to have a well rounded character and also give rational responses to bike races.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Shame for G, but he's still had a good win this week.

Nothing predictable about G winning on Corkscrew, or Slagter winning the overall, or Gilbert winning nothing. The only predictable things have been Greipel, and people moaning about the TDU without watching it. If Corkscrew, Wilunga, and the stage Slagter won had been finishes in Pais Vasco certain people would be raving about how good a race it has been.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Turfle wrote:
    Shame for G, but he's still had a good win this week.

Nothing predictable about G winning on Corkscrew, or Slagter winning the overall, or Gilbert winning nothing. The only predictable things have been Greipel, and people moaning about the TDU without watching it. If Corkscrew, Wilunga, and the stage Slagter won had been finishes in Pais Vasco certain people would be raving about how good a race it has been.
    The TDU reminds me so much about the 4 Jour Dunkeque with it's similarities. (6 day race)
    The difference is the Straight roads against the twisting roads in France but the racing is about the same. :arrow:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Did you watch the race FF?

The one where Gerrans initiated the counter attack and Slagter grabbed his wheel?
    Yes I did because I woke up at 3am+.
    I am still puzzled about which "Tree" got 3rd, or 4th etc.
    Did anyone get the numbers.
    I've seen a highlights (a what) programe and the cameras still don't split the trees but I got the names on the result caption. :roll:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Yes, it's still a shit small race, but to be fair to the organisers they've doubled the number of interesting stages this year. Remember how dull it was a few years ago, when they didn't even finish on Willunga hill? Plus we've had an unexpected winner, which always helps.

Impressive stuff from Slagter, hopefully he can carry on that good form into the season proper. I'm sure Rabo/Blanco will be glad of some wins from someone other than LLS.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Just watched a very short highlights video which was good, but short so I couldnt tell much. I have to disagree about Gerrans having 'no class' though, he went after a Movistar rider (Quintana?) on the hill and Slagter then went after them, then Slagter had a go and Gerrans chased and we all know he's got a decent sprint on him. Slagter looks impressive.

I must say how fantastic it is to watch a bit of racing though, I got all excited again seeing them racing.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Just seen the re-run. Pure class from Gerrans. True champion. Such panache. Great shoes. Might add him to my signature.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Promising Dutchie wins pre season chipper, gets overhyped.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    Just seen the re-run. Pure class from Gerrans. True champion. Such panache. Great shoes. Might add him to my signature.

He doesn't have a neck though... never trust a man without a neck.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Yer right... I've gone off him already. No-neck = major fail. And his cheek bones are kinda strange. Yuk... what was I thinking?

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    To be fair to them, it's a race in January, on the far side of the world where there aren't many climbs near buily areas. Given the circumstances it's been pretty good.
    Greipel has impressed, warming up the 'Belgian' rivalry with Cav. And we have seen impressive performances from lesser heralded riders like Slagter, Hermans, Thomas, J Moreno etc. (It's a good race to spot future talent - Contador had an early win here, Sagan first attracted attention.)
    It's been interesting and I doubt anyone would have picked the final podium (whatever it is).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,583
    RichN95 wrote:
    To be fair to them, it's a race in January, on the far side of the world where there aren't many climbs near buily areas.

Actually there are a lot of climbs nearby that could be used in hilly loops and would make great mountain top finishes - ok all of similar length to Willunga or in UK terms Glasgow's Crow Rd, Caerfilly Mt, Winnats.

However the TDU are in the same situation as the ToB. The various Sth Australian councils pay for the start / finish, want the finish in their main shopping street or have a circuit around 2 towns, thus the TDU isn't going to get more than 1 finish per year at the top of a climb.

Anyway back to the racing. Any one of us on here could have written the script for today's stage. Thought Renshaw's move might have won it but for his slight hesitation on whether to jump on a wheel or not.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    The tennis has been ace.

Been able to see a lot of it too, unlike this race.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Folks you need to up your game before the season starts proper.

Reading this thread I've no idea who won what, who's leading or even if the race is over.

Not good enough.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    Folks you need to up your game before the season starts proper.

Reading this thread I've no idea who won what, who's leading or even if the race is over.

Not good enough.

This.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Just imagine if all races were on Sky Sports...
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    thegibdog wrote:
    Just imagine if all races were on Sky Sports...

I'd probably kill myself as the prospect of listening to Phil Liggett for every race would be too overwhelming
  • RichN95 wrote:
    To be fair to them, it's a race in January, on the far side of the world where there aren't many climbs near buily areas. Given the circumstances it's been pretty good.
    Greipel has impressed, warming up the 'Belgian' rivalry with Cav. And we have seen impressive performances from lesser heralded riders like Slagter, Hermans, Thomas, J Moreno etc. (It's a good race to spot future talent - Contador had an early win here, Sagan first attracted attention.)
    It's been interesting and I doubt anyone would have picked the final podium (whatever it is).

The sprint stages were predictable, but I enjoyed the other stages, must be said.
  • frenchfighter
    Well the race has finished. Greipel won the last stage making it his 100th career win - very impressive.

Slagter retained the jersey for a good season start by the youngster.

Worthy of note: Geraint moved from 5th to 3rd by picking up the bonus seconds. He also took the sprit jersey. Hats off to him and his team for going for something. It's not all about the win.

Rich I agree more or less. I dislike Geraint though and that isn't going to change.

Poor commentary in this thread - there are a ton of people following it so plenty of people to post info. I certainly don't care to follow a race in Aus tho.

I agree with Gilbert - the stages were too short. I can only think of it being due to heat but they need miles in their legs this early on.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    That's Andy and that's the broom wagon?!

tdu_2013_5e.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    That's Andy and that's the broom wagon?!

tdu_2013_5e.jpg

He DNF stage 6. Following on from last season...
  • frenchfighter
    Pretty rubbish tbh. Pace isn't so high, terrain is lightweight and stages are short. He supposedly did a lot of training and is super motivated...

He says he is aiming for the Ardennes so we shall see his form then...

Have difficulty putting the Andy Schlecks I know together tbh.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Well the race has finished. Greipel won the last stage making it his 100th career win - very impressive.

Slagter retained the jersey for a good season start by the youngster.

Worthy of note: Geraint moved from 5th to 3rd by picking up the bonus seconds. He also took the sprit jersey. Hats off to him and his team for going for something. It's not all about the win.

Rich I agree more or less. I dislike Geraint though and that isn't going to change.

Poor commentary in this thread - there are a ton of people following it so plenty of people to post info. I certainly don't care to follow a race in Aus tho.

I agree with Gilbert - the stages were too short. I can only think of it being due to heat but they need miles in their legs this early on.

On the other hand, I think you'd struggle to get many top teams to agree to a January trip to Aus for a week of 200km stages.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382

Just out of interest, why don't you like Geraint FF?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Think he just used it as training though - still very much of the old school training methods I think (nothing else suggested!!)

He was talking about riding in the wind on the flat in some interviews, he would nt have done that if he was interested in where he finished. Think he was an RSNT domestique this week
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    There's a good article about the history of the TDU here (inrng from January 2012):

http://inrng.com/2012/01/tour-down-under-race-history/

Suggests the parcours is just what the European teams have asked for. It's basically a jolly/warm weather winter training camp for them.