Carrera Hardtail thread - owners pictures and spec's

Comments

• garethfox
    garethfox Posts: 43
    Thanks for that
    Most admit the forks are the worst part on the bike, Is there anything i can do to improve them other than buying a new set.
    Ive got no problem with the brakes as yet they do a nice job of stopping me, On the other hand ive got a set of clark clim8s on my other bike and thinking of putting them on to the vulcan.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    New forks I'm afraid.......

Clim8s seem overkill......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    my forks on the vulcan seemd to have given up the ghost, maybe its an excuse to get a new bike. Not a clue how to overhaul forks though.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Its not worth trying to service them, they'll be just as bad after one ride again - I tried! Some RS Recons would go lovely with the bike ...
  • zx6man
    Think they are suntour XCM v2 on the bike at the moment, not a clue about costs of new forks.
  • The Rookie
    Servicing them is as easy as it gets, and will usually restore them to as good (or as bad) as they were new, you don't even need to remove the fork from the frame!

Loosen 2 lower retaining bolts, tap upwards to freen from interfereance fit, then remove bolts, pull off lowers, clean throughly,. apply some fresh thisk grease just below the seal to just above pushes, refitting is the reverse of removal!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • zx6man
    Nice one, may just give that a whirl. Are those bolts the only ones on the forks?
  • The Rookie
    Pretty much, the 2 right at the bottom pointing head downwards, you'll need to remove the front wheel and brake caliper (leave attached to cable).
  • zx6man
    Yup, will do.
  • pnev
    pnev Posts: 236
    If anyone's interested in my zelos frame drop me a pm ;-)
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Spotted this thread thought i should post, no photos yet i should get some at the weekend once i pick up the bike from my brothers

Its a 2004 Kraken from what i can tell it has the original shocks, wheels stem and bars, rims, mechs and shifters rest is below.

2004 Carrera Kraken
    •Clarkes S2 Brakes front and rear 203mm front 185mm rear
    •Original seat and post
    •Nukeproof lock on grips
    •Shimano Deore M590 9spd
    •Wellgo V8 flat pedals
    •Deore shifters
    •Deore front mech
    •Deore rear mech
    •Deore rear cassette
    •Shimano HG73 chain
    •Schwalbe Black Jack 2,1s
    •Suntour XC60 75mm forks

The brakes have decided they dont like the fluid any more and are leaking though the master cylinders on both so ive a set of Shimano Deore M596's to go on. Im not totally sold on the OTT front disc either so i may get something a bit more sensible up front.
    From what i can tell its not been cleaned in a while so chances are ill be getting more new parts once its been scrubbed and serviced. I had a quick roll around on it the other week and the front mechs totally out of line.
    He gave me the bike and a workstand to make way for his new precious suzuki GSXR so im not going to complain.
  • The Rookie
    Certainly overbraked and probably more than the forks can cope with!

Enjoy the bike though!
  • skybie
    skybie Posts: 59
    I'm buying my daughters Carrera it's i think 2005 model, it's looks the same as JohnP801. It's a ladies bike and i think it's a 14" frame, does anyone know the standard spec they come with as it's not been touched. I have looked everywhere online and can't seem to find it.
  • zx6man
  • skybie
    skybie Posts: 59
    zx6man wrote:
    Just had a look they have a 2006 but it doesn't look quite the same, but the spec might be the same as it's only a year different.
  • The Rookie
    Could try bikepedia, but from memory there is no meaningful change except the frame colour and that the frame is a little lighter as the paint on the frames (blue/red) weighs less than the thick silver gunk on the older frames.

Of course from year to year the parts may be a little better and a little lighter with the same nominal part name.
  • step83
    grabbed a quick photo after bringing the bike back earlier, i quickly swapped out the front brake but not the mount so its still got the daft 203mm rotor. Sorry for the blurring it refused to focus properly. An yes it needs a good clean and the cables tidying up.

63389db5-1d9f-4a0e-9480-0721491cb47a_zps5b6fe895.jpg
  • Step83 wrote:
    grabbed a quick photo after bringing the bike back earlier, i quickly swapped out the front brake but not the mount so its still got the daft 203mm rotor. Sorry for the blurring it refused to focus properly. An yes it needs a good clean and the cables tidying up.

63389db5-1d9f-4a0e-9480-0721491cb47a_zps5b6fe895.jpg

I like this old Kraken - not sure about the yellow but it ain't bad. However, while I can just about forgive the rear guard, what with the front one? Jeez, it looks like a motor cross bike :D if your local trails are mudfests then get yourself a muckynutz fender bender or equivilant and ditch the bin lid on the front. Or MTFU. ;D

Other than that - nice ride. They really are good bikes, + you have a tidy component spec.

Paul.
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • step83
    Yeah it is rather large, thanks for the suggestion looks like they are half price on their site which is handy. One thing i noticed bar the fact its filthy despite my brothers attempt at cleaning is that the bottom Bracket doesnt have any cover bolts, now im not totally up to speed on hollowtech's but I;d have thought they should be covered right?
  • The Rookie
    Thats a square taper, not hollowtech, and no, cheap bikes have covers over the hex headed bolts, better ones don't over he 8mm Allen head bolts.
  • step83
    Ah sorry should have mentioned it was swapped out for an M590 crankset I remember because he came to me as he couldn't work out how to use a crank extractor of all things.
  • garethfox
    garethfox Posts: 43
    Interesting ive looked on thebikelist web site and found out my vulcan is 2010 model when i thought it was 09.
  • Greer_
    Nope they have a hollow axle, wilt a plastic preload bolt on the non drive side. There is a hole the whole way through.
  • dogzy724
    dogzy724 Posts: 6
    Hi I have this years kraken can anyone tell me are the suntour forks that come with it tapered or straight ?
    As I have a set of reba's that are tapered thoughtni might fit them
  • Greer_
    As far as I know, they'll be a straight 1.125" steerer. No chance of fitting a tapered fork to it :?
  • dogzy724
    dogzy724 Posts: 6
    Thanks there buddy much appreciated well back to the drawing board it is then well havent been on here for a while (2007) lol but have recently come back to the world of mtb with the mrs and me old man in tow all 3 own a carrera me the kraken mrs vengeance and me dad a centos13 will upl8ad a pic in due course
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    Greer_ wrote:
    As far as I know, they'll be a straight 1.125" steerer. No chance of fitting a tapered fork to it :?

http://www.hopetech.com/webtop/modules/ ... 011Web.pdf

Check out Hope 'type H' bottom cup.

It fits into a 44mm ID headtube (which I'm fairly sure the Kraken is) and allows for a tapered fork.

It adds a fair bit of stack height, so not 100% ideal (head angle will slacken a touch).
  • Lako42
    Lako42 Posts: 5
    Hi Guys

My first post on here after stumbling upon this thread, I pretty much finished my Carrera Kraken XC upgrade last night so thought I would upload a few pics.

8596620535_01fd4f82da_c.jpg
    DSCF0710 by Lako42, on Flickr

8596621783_802a0fecf2_c.jpg
    DSCF0713 by Lako42, on Flickr

Any questions just ask :)
  • The Rookie
    Spec' list?

Looks like last of the old style frames, so circa 2010?
  • Lako42
    Lako42 Posts: 5
    Sram x5 mechs and shifters
    Truvativ drivetrain
    V8 Wellgo peds (to be changed soon)
    Shimano MT15 Wheelset (very impressive actually, good mix for xc and tech single track)
    RockSox Reba RL Dual air 1500g (Plush as F*&*k)
    Conti Vertical 2.3 front and back
    Tektro comp hydros (despite the bad reviews mine are snappy as hell and I didn't change them for that reason)
    xlc white seatpost qr
    FSA SL-K - Carbon fibre Seatpost / stem and handlebars - Fsa topcap and carbon spacers
    Clarks Birdcage lock-on grips
    Frame - Kraken XC - 08 I believe

Last but certainly my fave :) - On one inbred saddle

Cannot wait to get out and practice for the Chain Reaction marathon in Wales in April, sadly the snow In my part of Leicestershire has been epic the last week or so.