Carrera Hardtail thread - owners pictures and spec's

Comments

• Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    ORC is off road racing compound (the cheapest) Evo is the triple compound they make which is softer for more grip. Snakeskin refers to the sidewall thickness. I used to use these Geax ultralite tubes which were very good (and light) http://www.wiggle.co.uk/geax/
  • Did you get the orc or the snake skin what is the differance and what does Orc mean? Did you tell the differance when they was on what tubes you using?

Ordered two EVOs and got one EVO and one ORC. Put them on without knowing there was much of a difference.

They are half the weight compared with the ones that my vulcan came with so yeh it felt easier to pedal up hill. I cycle on mainly forestry roads and that so was told they would suit me best as they are pretty low rolling resistance which helps on tarmac.

Just the standard tubes atm, might get something lighter if I have to order anything else in the future. Dont like ordering small things as im in Ireland and the cost of postage and then delivery is a pain.
  • 553434_10152451794120422_964105863_n.jpg

2009 Fury frame
    2010 Fox F-Series 120mm 15mm thru axle
    Hope Hoops (pro 2s)
    Saint cranks/hope chain ring
    Hope V2s
    x9 9sp drivetrain
    FUNN bars stem and post
    Small things like hope QR clamp, BETD hanger, etc etc.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Odd mix of parts, but looks nice!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Odd mix of parts, but looks nice!

we've had this conversation before, and it has a more balanced look/feel now.
  • The Rookie
    We have....as always it's the fact it works for you and were you ride that is most important!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 2011 kraken standard apart from superstar grips and White pedals

FF32F617-5D8E-40E6-95B3-704421D2A7BB-8274-00000AC6B2FC84EB.jpg

2006 kraken but carnt remember the spec now

P3070036.jpg
    carrera kraken
  • The Rookie
    Not sure that's a 2006, the 2006 was the silver/grey frame....
  • Year I painted it as it was very tattie when I bought it
    carrera kraken
  • The Rookie
    Makes sense, mine as well! Did you strip back to bare first as the stock 'goo' weighs quite a lot (the later painted ones are about 100g lighter)
  • Year back to bare metal
    carrera kraken
  • The Rookie
    Cool, nice job!
  • Corners R Us
    Corners R Us Posts: 214
    edited March 2013
    2009 7005 Vulcan frame purchased on a whim via eBay for £30 plus some P&P. Came with the stock headset, seatclamp and a BB in it. Lots of parts were then transferred from an ageing Saracen Tufftrax thats served me well over a fair number of recent years and was similarly built bitsa!

Wheels: XRP hubs, Vuelta deep V rims. No idea why there's 2 red spokes! £80 a pair about 8 years ago from some bike shop having a sale online!

Tyres: Specialized Evil Twin 2.2 rear. Unbranded 2.1 front with fairly aggressive V tread pattern.

Forks: Rock Shox XC30 with cable lockout. £90 about 2-months ago.

Bars: Kore with slight rise. Stem Specialized 90mm robbed off son's bike and a shorter 50mm put on it for him. ODI Yeti grips.

Saddle: Selle SMP TRK. USE suspension seatpost.

Brakes: Avid One mechanical calipers. Shimano XT levers. 160mm rotors. I've got some spare EBC pads that will go in shortly as the pads in the rear are almost done.

Drivetrain: FSA crankset 22/32/42 (£21 from Chain Reaction about 2-wks ago). Shimano 545 double sided clipless pedals. Shimano LX Mega 9 front and rear mechs. Shimano Altus RapidFire 8sp shifter. Clarks PFTE red chain (8speed). Shimano 8 speed cassette (bought soon after the chain). Only the rear mech and pedals are old the rest is fairly new.

Some CrudCatchers, a tail pack with tools/tubes and a mini pump and a bottle cage and thats the lot!

Total build cost for recent parts and frame? A smidge under £200.

IMG_2166.jpg

The next phase of this build will see some weight shed. Now I can comfortably fit a 2.2 on the back I'll look out for a set of lightweight folding tyres. Some Schwalbes or Maxxis I think. Some lighter wheels and use these ones as winter wear? I'm also looking to get a set of lighter bars and a matched stem, probably go 31.8. Other than thats its riding, cleaning and maintaining for a while.

I'd eventually like to build a trick full sus from the ground up in slower time and as funds permit. The Vulcan will likely be retained as a bad weather/winter hack.

Corners
  • The Rookie
    Nice, welcome to the Carrera club........

Do the red spokes indicate where the valve is, common trick is different spoke or nipple colours!
  • Evening fellow Carrera owners :D

2008/2009 Carrera Vulcan 16" frame, bought off ebay with standard spec except from Syncros big box rims with M525 hubs, Deore XT M761 rear mech and Marzocchi Bomber Z1 Wedge forks.

Spent a bit in the past few days and have now upgraded a few bits and spec is now as follows.

Deore M590 chainset
    Shimano HG 50 cassette
    Shimano HG53 Chain
    Deore M590 RH Shifter
    Deore XT M761 Rear Mech
    SRAM X4 front shifter and mech
    Deore LX M585 front hydraulic brake
    Shimano RT62 180mm centre lock rotor
    Ritchey XC Pro 120mm stem
    FSA XC-270 riser bar
    Ritchey Truegrip pro Grips
    WTB Graffiti SF 26x2.2 tyres
    Shimano MT15 wheelset
    Marzocchi Bomber Z1 Wedge

I've kept the seat post, headset, Marzocchi forks and Deore XT mech as they are all still in excellent working order, I am considering selling the forks though as I want a set that are geared more towards XCing with lockout for commuting.
    Only bits left to replace are the SRAM X4 front mech and shifter combo and a new rear brake which will most likely be a matching Deore LX M585 with a 160mm rotor, with the front gearing replaced with Deore M590 shifter and Deore M591 mech.

p1030887custom.jpg

p1030895custom.jpg
    Carrera Vulcan

..........................Meh.........................
  • The Rookie
    Nice spec, I wouldn't be commuting without a rear brake though!

The Bombers look heavy though!
  • Im not commuting yet, my job is 5 minutes walk from mine so the rear brake will come once I've found a job I need to cycle to, the Bombers weigh around 1.5kg's I think, only slightly heavier than the frame, they do need to go though as they are made for freeride rather than XC, not sure why the previous owner put them on in the first place lol.
    Carrera Vulcan

• The Rookie
    I'm willing to bet those Bombers weigh nowhere near 1.5Kg, that would be very very light (SID territory)....they would be an upgrade over the OE XCM's though! I have Shimano XT on mine, very good brakes if you can find some 'pre-loved'.
  • Your more than likely right lol, keep meaning to take them off to get some pics for when I sell them, Ill weigh them then and see what they are and agree, definitely an upgrade over the originals lol.
    I was considering the Deore M596 brakes but I saw the Deore LX M585 on ebay for £30 brand new with full fitting kit! the extra tenner I saved allowed me to get the stem and handle bars.
    Carrera Vulcan

• Nice, welcome to the Carrera club........

Do the red spokes indicate where the valve is, common trick is different spoke or nipple colours!

Good thought but nope! The valves are opposite the red spokes I think?!

Corners
  • The Rookie
    LOL, that is bizarre!
  • pnev
    pnev Posts: 236
    Not a hard tail but here's my Carbon Zelos

xq9bg2.jpg
  • The Rookie
    Nice, looks a bit modified?
  • That Zelos is a lovely looking bike.
    Carrera Vulcan

• pnev
    pnev Posts: 236
    Nice, looks a bit modified?

Yeah only the frame is original, spec list

Shimano XT Groupset
    Avid Elixir 7 brakes
    Suntour Axon forks
    Rockshox Monarch Rt3 shock
    Hope hubs on Superstar XC rim
    Ritchey WCS carbon handlebars (not in photo)
    Ritchey pro stem
    Ritchey WCS seatpost
    Bontrager Affinity Ti saddle
    Maxxis Advantage tyres
  • The Rookie
    Nice, a lot of that reads similar to my Kraken! (link in sig).
  • Here's my beast, started out as a summer commuter to work and back-think I used it for that purpose 5 times max! Been to coed y brenin at least once a week-getting the night rides in, penmachno,marin, antur stiniog(broke my fork), llandegla(broke my replacement fork) :oops:
    Spec at the moment:

2013 Rockshox xc32 100mm w/pop lock
    Superstar vector bar
    Superstar lock on grips
    Kore stem
    Avid elixir 3's
    Sram x5 right shifter(had an x9 but an over the bar incident destroyed it and my leg after 2rides) :-(
    Sram x7 rear deraileur
    Superstar hollow cro mo quick releases
    Just added a superstar xcr st guide to finish off my 1x9 setup, removed the lefty shifter, deraileur, big ring and the granny's coming off tomorrow for a couple of extra grams and I'm looking at replacing the rims with some stans flows very soon!
    lightbox
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65185100@N05/8462769478/lightbox/
  • ol\'gregg wrote:
    photo-3.jpg

photo1-2.jpg

view-1_zps4fe19c2e.jpg

here's my vulcan 2012.
    So far i've changed the tyre for continental vertical 2.3
    superstar grips, green stem and white handlebars

Hello where did you get your bike rack from I got a focus mk3 and I think mine fits inside the door like yours
  • garethfox
    garethfox Posts: 43
    Hi guys heres my new ride

F9998779-165D-4F70-8049-87B8891DFD90-344-0000001DE852E93A_zps23087027.jpg

17D02EE1-25DB-4191-99F8-FB59E1CBC8DC-344-0000001DEFACA15F_zpsae5d4069.jpg

Havent took it out for a good ride yet but for what ive tried of it its a nice smooth ride.

Does anyone know much about these bikes.
    I know they are from halfords but im looking for more info

Comments welcome

Thanks
    Gareth
  • The Rookie
    Circa 2008 Carrera Vulcan, Wheels are from forumula and far from bad, reasonable square taper BB and one pice crankset, SRAM gearing (X5) and Tektro cable disc brakes, weigh about 13/5Kg, my son had one (stolen!).

Carrera is Halfords own brand, not a bad bike but the forks and brakes are the weakest links, same frame as my Kraken (link in sig).