"Change Cycling Now"

Comments

• Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    Is it just me that gets serious pissed off with high and mighty Greg - after all using outlawed mechanic aides is cheating Greg !!!!!
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Nik Cube wrote:
    Is it just me that gets serious pissed off with high and mighty Greg - after all using outlawed mechanic aides is cheating Greg !!!!!

Except they weren't outlawed.

But don't let me ruin your outrage
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Well, well, what do you know. It transpires that Bakala's partner in crime on the World Cycling Series proposal, Jonathan Price, attended the CCN meeting and gave them a nice little presentation. This has come from Velocast, one of whom attended the CNN meeting.

Not really about changing cycling, is it boys?

Its about changing faces not the rules. Its about pay-back in some cases. And its most definitely about the $$$. And Vaughters is up to his neck in it. Think Fullers got an interest in this World Series too? Hmm?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/how-wor ... -the-sport
  • iainf72
    Sounds like Ashenden's "100% clean" scheme in part involves constantly watching the athletes.

So he's basically run out of ideas?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,326
    iainf72 wrote:
    Sounds like Ashenden's "100% clean" scheme in part involves constantly watching the athletes.

Yes, sounded like Walsh just gave the game away. Good luck Bugno selling it to the riders.

Ashenden's general gist has always been monitoring the effects of drugs rather than testing for the drugs themselves (as in the blood passport) but there are just too many bio parameters we have no idea where the baselines are or how they change in various conditions.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • iainf72 wrote:

Yes, sounded like Walsh just gave the game away. Good luck Bugno selling it to the riders.

Ashenden's general gist has always been monitoring the effects of drugs rather than testing for the drugs themselves (as in the blood passport) but there are just too many bio parameters we have no idea where the baselines are or how they change in various conditions.

10 top riders have to live together a la Big Brother House and be monitored. That's the idea. Apparently.

Well, Wiggo and Froome aint gonna share a room for starters. :)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153
    10 top riders have to live together a la Big Brother House and be monitored. That's the idea. Apparently.

If that's his idea then he's going to get laughed at. What happens if the winner comes from outside top ten? Was Hesjedal in the pre-Giro top ten? Maybe but De Gendt certainly wasn't. And Cobo and Froome in the '11 Vuelta? Pereiro in 2006 wouldn't have been on the list and Contador was a long shot in 2007.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:

If that's his idea then he's going to get laughed at. What happens if the winner comes from outside top ten? Was Hesjedal in the pre-Giro top ten? Maybe but De Gendt certainly wasn't. And Cobo and Froome in the '11 Vuelta? Pereiro in 2006 wouldn't have been on the list and Contador was a long shot in 2007.

Come on, its inspired. Its New Cycling, you know. Its probably an idea presented to the CCN mob by The (School for the) Gifted Group at their shindig. Sod the TV revenues from races, Big Cycling Brother is really the big money spinner of an idea.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Is suggest the top 10 on t tv.at the start of t race, or maybe after first mountain stage or TT.

It's unlikely that someone could leap frog from 10th to 1st after the "first big shakeup"
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    ddraver wrote:
    Is suggest the top 10 on t tv.at the start of t race, or maybe after first mountain stage or TT.

It's unlikely that someone could leap frog from 10th to 1st after the "first big shakeup"

So you make sure you get your doping done before that stage. And what about doping in training - isn't that's where the hard work is done?

His plan is meant to prove 100% to everyone that there is no doping. The small amount of fans who actually want this kind of reassurance aren't going to buy it.
  • ddraver
    I did nt say it was a good idea....
    - @ddraver
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Hang on, I was reading this thinking the top 10 living together was a joke, now i'm not so sure?
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • ddraver
    *Affect appropriate accent*

Dey twelve in da big brothor 'ouse and Vincenzor is ge'in jealous of chris' mat'rass an' Sky branded pilloorw*

Have to say that sounds more fun than the racing!

*There is actually a fair point in that appauling geordie vernacular, Imagine the top 10 riders all getting a play by play view of Sky's post and pre race "marginal gains" rigmarole...
    - @ddraver
  • Overheard from the Big Brother diary room

"I'm well jel of Wiggo and Froomey's Sky iPhones" says Cuddles

"If he doesnt stop looking at me in a funny way I'm gonna 'ave 'him" says Nibbles

"I dont understand why they're making us all eat this vegetarian sheeet" says Bertie

"I cant stand it here, I just want to breakaway and be on my own" says Thomas De Gendt

Ryder has no comment as he's spent 98% of the time asleep since entering the House

etc etc
  • iainf72 wrote:
    Nik Cube wrote:

Except they weren't outlawed.

But don't let me ruin your outrage

And neither was Iron injections when his 'doctor' tested his blood and found it anaemic. It helped him put in a good TT but that's just coincidence.
  • iainf72
    Is this CCN thing dead now?
  • ddraver
    Not sure it was ever alive really was it?
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    iainf72 wrote:
    Is this CCN thing dead now?
    On page 3 of this thread I said they were "people stuck in 2005 because Lance hasn't cried on Oprah for them", so they're not dead but they've now got an expiry date.
  • Still not sure what its real goals were, what the group thought they could achieve?

They got widespread coverage in the cycling media with the press conference and with follow up interviews with Fuller and JV especially. But they seriously cant have thought that Pat would stand down just on their call?

And if any of them thought that Bugno was going to follow up with the senior riders on Ashenden's proposal re a wondrous new approach to proving that a rider's clean...I read a few days ago a quote from a journo who had spoken to Dan Lloyd at the CNN press conference, and Lloyd told him that in all the time (some 5 years) he'd spent as in some capacity as a rider representative, he'd never heard a word from the CPA. The CCN panel shouldnt be banking anything on Bugno doing anything other than filing under 'nice shopping weekend in London'

Was it trying to be a rallying point to show, who, the IOC that there's widespread unhappiness with the UCI? To show WADA that there are some different ideas around how anti-doping should be approached?

Perplexing
  • Nick Fitt
    Nick Fitt Posts: 381
    The website is not great and the Charter of the Willing is a joke to me. And only 5300'ish people have signed their ePetition. Not great is it?
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Their real world bosses must have got wind of it and given them some actual work to do.

I'm amazed how quickly it has basically disappeared, even those involved seem to have forgotten about it.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    Change Cycling NOW!

Noooo NOW!

NOW!

Ok, I'm counting to 3 and then you're going to change cycling....

One

Two

I mean it

Don't make me say Three

:roll: :lol:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • 'NOW'. If that's the time scale of the project, then it is doomed to fail. Didn't they realise that December is the black hole of ideas and plans. By January everybody has forgotten.

Or perhaps that allowed then to exit stage right and spare their blushes.
  • But hey, it raised Jamie Fuller's profile, so nice job from the aspect of his self-promotion eh?

What it also very unfortunately did was to give Pat and Lance the opportunity to talk down Lemond as a critic 'because he wants to further his own interests re UCI leadership'. Ponying up Lemond as a replacement for Pat was a very foolish and ill-thought through piece of work on the gang's part.
  • Has cycling changed yet?

How about now?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Nick Fitt
    Has cycling changed yet?

How about now?

It shouldn't be too long now, doh! there's that pesky lil word again.

Incidentally, is everyone in agreement that Festinawoman/bird/whatever is Emma O Reilly?
  • Nick Fitt wrote:
    Incidentally, is everyone in agreement that Festinawoman/bird/whatever is Emma O Reilly?

No, O'Reilly knows stuff.
  • ddraver
    ^this...
    - @ddraver
  • Nick Fitt
    OK, reason I say that is on the CCN website, she is listed as a contributor etc. Then when you go to the gallery (page 4 if you can be arsed), OReilly is the only woman in the pictures of all of the contributors, it made me wonder
  • ddraver
    No, she was left out cos she was like super duper secret you know! I mean clearly it's ok to be anonymous when you re demanding transparency from an international federation!
    - @ddraver