"Change Cycling Now"

Comments

• Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited December 2012
    ddraver wrote:
    Maybe it's area restricted....

Significant points are that riders and sponsors were asked to join in but none of them (according to Fuller) felt that they were able to contribute as they re "scared on the UCI"

Ashendon was asked if they felt that they should wait until the UCI commission had finished, and said that they had zero faith in it.

None of the others were interviewed or barely mentioned (except Vaughters)

Ah right. No one else would join because they - including sponsors - are 'scared of the UCI.' (Anyone think of reasons why sponsors might be scared of the UCI?_

Not because they dont believe in it or are dismissive or doubtful of its motives or that of the various attendees(given the composition). Or what might have been articulated as goals of the meeting. Or because they've got other priorities. Or because no one else was actually invited.

Its just because they're all scared.

And Ashenden saying they're all dismissive of the Commission. Not wise approach IMO. Better to come across as at least partially interested in being engaged in some way, instead of coming across as petulant kids who are worried some other kids have got to their treehouse first.

A loud hmmmmmm from here.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    He said someone from CSC had attended (can't recall who) and then went on to talk about the sticker system so looks like he meant bike companies specifically..?

It's interesting to see that CN have barely covered this at all...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Tell you what from the cynic over here in the corner: cheap PR for Fuller and his small company, non?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    It seems there's already cracks forming in the People's Front of Judea:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/boyer-u ... ycling-now
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    It seems there's already cracks forming in the People's Front of Judea:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/boyer-u ... ycling-now

JV jumps onto Twitter: 'Boyer correct, aigcp voted against his idea of ethics code under my tenure.I'm not a dictator. I signed said ethics code under MPCC in 2007'

The pertinent MPCC policy is
    'Don’t sign a rider who has had a ban of more than six months during the two years following his ban. An exception is given to whereabouts cases'

But he gave Dekker a contract this year - which defo aint a 4 year gap as Dekker's suspension was Jul 09-Jul 11...

So I'm confused by JV's 'compliance' here...
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    Outside of the people attending, it's not getting a huge amount of support it seems. The new Spokesmen podcast suggests its the wrong people attending, ie it needs to be the team principals and sponsors, and that the essentially those taking part are more motivated by bring about the demise of the UCI than doing something to change the inherent doping issues within cycling, by developing grass roots cycling and educating the future stars of the sport. It was also suggested that with those involved being who they are, the UCI will most likely ignore whatever resolution comes out of the 'summit' anyway.
  • Roger Hammond certainly isnt impressed with the inclusion of festina-middle-aged-mum. As he tweeted earlier:

'Very surprised someone who had the audacity to call me stupid and a doper would sit on a panel like that. Naive? You rather than me'
  • Richmond Racer
    edited December 2012
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lemond- ... presidency

erm...has anyone told Greg Lemond and the Change Cycling Now gang that its not just a question of sticking your hand in the air to contest the UCI Presidential election?

http://inrng.com/2012/09/how-to-replace-pat-mcquaid/

Now he and the Peoples Front of Judea (copyright Rich) have set themselves up for the very easy dismissal that Greg's criticism has been geared towards him wanting Fat Pat's job. Or knowing toot about how the UCI is formed and how the elections work. Seriously. Schoolboy error.

I'm also sure that the election is during the UCI Congress late 2013, not March 2013. But then CN arent best known for their factual reports.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    WTF is all this?

Some kind of massive blow-idol session?
  • ddraver
    Good question Rick...

We should know more about what it thinks it is later on today though.
    - @ddraver
  • WTF is all this?

WHAT? You mean you dont think its a great idea? :roll:
  • RichN95.
    WTF is all this?

WHAT? You mean you dont think its a great idea? :roll:
    Blow Idol is a good idea though. It's just what ITV need to shake up Saturday evenings.
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    It sounds like a load of bloated, self important toss on Twitter.
    SuzeCY ‏@festinagirl the word I keep saying is 'empowerment' - I wish everyone could have this opportunity
    Details

What is empowering about sitting in a room with a load of people that no-one has elected to be the voice of cycling, and spending more time name dropping on Twitter, than actually contributing to the dialogue of how we can change cycling as a whole for the better. The Spokesmen had it right, this is about a clique and their agenda to bring down the UCI. The proof of that is the Lemond for president bollocks from this morning. If they really cared about supporting change in cycling, they would put forward their manifest and work with the current regime to get it implemented. They have shown their hand which legitimises talk of an ulterior motive.
  • How about now?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    I guess its only value is showing how useless UCI is at setting the agenda. Apart from that it appears to be a ragtag collection of wannabes. The inclusion of an anonymous tweeter is a fast way of losing credibility from the start.

It really is ridiculous to attack the UCI instead of trying to work from within to facilitate change. I could understand it if the UCI had made no effort to change since the bad old days but it clearly has to a very large extent, even if the organisation felt exposed by the LA case.
  • ddraver
    Some stuff starting to coem out on twitter now if you follow the twitter taliban involved. Much of it is what we ve feared, Le Mond is kicking Armstrong, Kimmage is kicking Wiggins. Blah blah blah, off with Pat's head etc...Le Mond has volunteered to be an interim UCI Prez "until they find someone better", oh and btw is thinking of starting a bike brand again...

To be fair, Ashenden appears to be saying some interesting things but is too light on detail to make any sense of it.
    - @ddraver
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    I'm starting to understand what Dennis has been going on about all these years.
  • I can't see Lemond's bid getting very far, Pat & other vested interests will be mobilising a counter-attack.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • ddraver
    Kimmage and O'reiley haing a kick at the media now....

Man, this is almost like following a race again.
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    I can't see Lemond's bid getting very far, Pat & other vested interests will be mobilising a counter-attack.
    They won't need to mobilize anything. LeMond is a single issue obsessive with no experience. The President is voted for by delegates from all over world, and they don't give a damn about Armstrong may have done ten year ago. They just want support for cycling in their local areas and the UCI are currently pretty good at that.
  • This is like a bunch of kids. Jeez. If I was Pat I'd be laughing my head off
  • RichN95 wrote:
    I can't see Lemond's bid getting very far, Pat & other vested interests will be mobilising a counter-attack.
    They won't need to mobilize anything. LeMond is a single issue obsessive with no experience. The President is voted for by delegates from all over world, and they don't give a damn about Armstrong may have done ten year ago. They just want support for cycling in their local areas and the UCI are currently pretty good at that.

Yes. for LeMond to even get the ball rolling and get into the UCI, he'd have to be elected by USA Cycling to replace their current rep. Dont think that's an easy one, somehow.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,932
    If the objective is to remove McQuaid surely they should start by putting pressure on Cycling Ireland not to renominate him

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news ... g-ireland/
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver wrote:
    Some stuff starting to coem out on twitter now if you follow the twitter taliban involved. Much of it is what we ve feared, Le Mond is kicking Armstrong, Kimmage is kicking Wiggins. Blah blah blah, off with Pat's head etc...Le Mond has volunteered to be an interim UCI Prez "until they find someone better", oh and btw is thinking of starting a bike brand again...

To be fair, Ashenden appears to be saying some interesting things but is too light on detail to make any sense of it.

The cry of tyrants everywhere...

This sounds like an SWP meeting. What is Kimmage kicking Wiggins for?

Has it changed yet?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Richmond Racer
    edited December 2012
    If the objective is to remove McQuaid surely they should start by putting pressure on Cycling Ireland not to renominate him

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news ... g-ireland/

Hmm, cant he still get in via the Swiss?
  • RichN95.
    It appears they are currently on the 'Airing of Grievances'. Doesn't anyone know when they are doing the 'Feats of Strength' and the 'Miracles of Festivus'?
  • ddraver
    Dunno - twitterings have stopped

(Ive had such a dull day!)
    - @ddraver
  • The cycling journos seem to be treating this presser with equal scepticism
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    The cycling journos seem to be treating this presser with equal scepticism

Because it's borderline moronic.

I like how in the background, Tutur has been booted out in Oceania region and someone else is in. That my friends, is how you get change.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    The cycling journos seem to be treating this presser with equal scepticism

Because it's borderline moronic.

I like how in the background, Tutur has been booted out in Oceania region and someone else is in. That my friends, is how you get change.

Totes. As they say in Essex.