optimisticbiker reborn

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,318
    Good to hear things are heading in the right direction. I hope it was decent coffe at least. Glad you're sleeping well now.
    Even if we're only really an online community, we are a community and we're all in this together. So I'll keep sending happy thoughts your way.
    Steve
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    edited November 2012
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Good to hear things are heading in the right direction. I hope it was decent coffe at least. Glad you're sleeping well now.
    Even if we're only really an online community, we are a community and we're all in this together. So I'll keep sending happy thoughts your way.
    Steve

amen to that brother!

keep us all updated please Irving

*i always thought your name was Veronese an you were 68!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Steve

Thats the ticket, right there.

Really good to hear from you OB, your attitude here is a valuable lesson to many and incredibly humbling. I'm sure you know that a good physio is worth their weight in gold, so do make the most of it. Stay Strong.
    AKA Captain Blackbeard
    Going Top to Bottom - E2E for Everyman and Headway - Spet 2013
  • sassse
    sassse Posts: 64
    As others have said I am shocked and don't really know what to say, but it is good to hear things are progressing for you already and you are looking ahead to the future.

I had a year long recovery last year from a broken leg ( open tib/fib fx with 9 months on crutches) and whilst that is no where near what you are going through I found that one week I would be really up and the next really down. Little things would thow me at times, then other things ( making the first cup of tea on my own) would make me smile for days.

There will be times when you get frustrated and down, just remember to reach out to you friends and family for support and remember your goal to get out on that recubant hand bike as soon as possible. Or from what I have read here there are plenty of people on this forum who will happily be there for you, so reach out to them if needed.

Take care and a speedy rehab to you.
  • sassse
    sassse Posts: 64
    edited November 2012
  • Oh, and just to add that before all this happened, I was really looking forward to overtaking you on the stats board. That joy has been denied to me now.

How damned inconsiderate of you, OB.

Good to see you still posting, though.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Very pleased to hear the positive update OB. Now that you are sleeping better don't go ruining it by slipping off to the coffee shop too often. :wink:

All the very best.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,661
    Glad to hear you're making progress and have managed to get out and about a bit for a change of view - a lot of good stuff goes on in hospitals, but they rarely make pleasing scenery. And glad you're getting some sleep, too.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Oh, and just to add that before all this happened, I was really looking forward to overtaking you on the stats board. That joy has been denied to me now.

I did that yesterday and it wasn't worth the effort for it, gaining one place in a manner like that.

Keep at it OB. We're with you.

Mind you,a place is a place. 29th. :wink:
  • CiB wrote:
    Oh, and just to add that before all this happened, I was really looking forward to overtaking you on the stats board. That joy has been denied to me now.

I did that yesterday and it wasn't worth the effort for it, gaining one place in a manner like that.

You're on my list too...
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    Good to see you managed to get off the ward and remember to have cake, cake is a key part of any cyclists recovery food :)

Keep working at it.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • +1 to what everyone else has said.

Keep us updated - we want to hear how you're doing.
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • Great to hear that you are making some progress. At this early stage that has to be encouraging.

Looking forward to seeing you retake your higher place on the stats board in the future.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    hi all,

getting online still a bit hit n miss but each day brings small improvements in strength. managing 4h in wheelchair and yesterday went off-ward to coffee shop! physios are working me hard, it exhausting but sleeping well now...

more soon, thanks for all the continued support including the extraordinary efforts to find me 'in real world', i am humbled by it.

Irving...

Given that post+1 involved coffee, I'm looking forward to hearing what post+2 will involve. Genuinely smiled when I read the progress (and anyone who knows me knows that I'm grumpy)

Keep up updated :)
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    The desire to blame Wiggle is like some sort of Tourettes.

Sorry

I can't keep it in any longer.

I. Blame. Wiggle.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • hi all,

getting online still a bit hit n miss but each day brings small improvements in strength. managing 4h in wheelchair and yesterday went off-ward to coffee shop! physios are working me hard, it exhausting but sleeping well now...

more soon, thanks for all the continued support including the extraordinary efforts to find me 'in real world', i am humbled by it.

Irving...

It's fantastic to hear about your progress and is reminding me of my son's fight back to movement after his op where they removed a large chunk of his pelvis, nuked it to kill the bone tumour, and put it back. His fight to recover mobility has been truly humbling and your story is too. We all-too-readily take our health for granted. Folk like you remind us of what we have and how lucky we are and how we should make the most of it.

Delighted you are getting out and about - reading about this has made my day. Thank you!
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • hey OB , good to hear your improving and sleep is getting easier , as earlier how about a cake and coffee report ?

scalps for people on crutches ? wheelchairs human propelled ? wheelchairs powered ? fit nurses ?

keep up the good work with the physio's and await your next update VH
    Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,318
    velohutts wrote:
    fit nurses ?

keep up the good work with the physio's
    I find physios are often far from unattractive young ladies. Hope OB is finding the same.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    velohutts wrote:
    fit nurses ?

I find physios are often far from unattractive young ladies. Hope OB is finding the same.

+1, most are fit, young and blond!
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Veronese68 wrote:
    velohutts wrote:
    fit nurses ?

Every cloud and all that...
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    CiB wrote:

You're on my list too...
    Wheelchair miles is on the cards apparently, acc to the man himself. :)
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    its time to get garmin to make a cadence sensor for a wheelchair!

in fact im going to research into this as i would be surprised if wheelchair athletes dont use these kind of devices.

Wish you well OB!
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    A normal Garmin cadence/speed sensor should clip onto a standard frame, and the spokes will be standard on the wheels....
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • rjsterry
    Cadence is a fairly meaningless on a wheel chair, as they don't have gears. Would work on a hand bike, though.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry wrote:
    Cadence is a fairly meaningless on a wheel chair, as they don't have gears. Would work on a hand bike, though.

The rate of pushes on the wheels - same as cadence running (my legs don't have gears either :wink: )
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:

The rate of pushes on the wheels - same as cadence running (my legs don't have gears either :wink: )

That's still a different type of sensor from the bike cadence sensor attached to the crank. Mind you, on a chair you can push and freewheel, so big push-pause-big push, as opposed to little push-little push-little push. This differs again from running cadence, which is just a function of stride length and speed.

I'm probably overthinking this.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry wrote:
    Yep, This is the level you should stick with...
    Veronese68 wrote:
    velohutts wrote:
    fit nurses ?

Good to hear that OB is making some real progress. I hear it's quite normal for someone recovering from this sort of accident to make an involuntary movement to brush against a fit nurse. Go on. I dare you.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • rjsterry wrote:
    Yep, This is the level you should stick with...
    Veronese68 wrote:
    velohutts wrote:
    fit nurses ?

Good to hear that OB is making some real progress. I hear it's quite normal for someone recovering from this sort of accident to make an involuntary movement to brush against a fit nurse. Go on. I dare you.
    I'm admitting nothing :)

tried a self-propelled wheelchair today.. 10m down the corridor and I was completely exhausted. Early days yet.

daughter picked bike up from police today. looks like top tube kinked at headtube lug and bottom of headtube shifted back so wheel practically touching downtube. i'll try and post pics off her phone later, but looks like will have to be stripped for parts only. :(
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:

• tried a self-propelled wheelchair today.. 10m down the corridor and I was completely exhausted. Early days yet.

they are quite different to use, the Posh ie non NHS ones roll lovely, used to support a guy to go scuba diving, some of the lads had some very nice chairs, with GP4000s if memory seves!
    daughter picked bike up from police today. looks like top tube kinked at headtube lug and bottom of headtube shifted back so wheel practically touching downtube. i'll try and post pics off her phone later, but looks like will have to be stripped for parts only. :(

maybe some parts could be used for a recumbent in the future?
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    OB, you are an inspiration! Please keep posting.

Came across this a while ago. Very humbling to watch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snDQe3tW ... re=related