optimisticbiker reborn

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Sh*t.

When I read the thread title I wasn't expecting that!

Nothing anyone can really say other than we are all thinking of you and wish you well.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Don't post that often but wanted to just add +1 to all of the sentiments and messages above.
    It could have been any of us in the same position as you so everyone stay safe and maybe cool the SCR a bit on these dark wet evenings. Far too many accidents from experienced riders at the moment!
    Banstead in Surrey to Russell square and back
    FCN 4
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    gutted for you.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    What everyone else has said. Shocking news and very best wishes for rehab.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    This is the most sobering thing I've read in a while. I don't think any of us can possibly imagine the magnitude of the challenges you face.

Make a promise to yourself now. Never give up.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I can only echo the sentiments already posted in this thread. Shocking and awful news, OB. I wish you all the very best.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    vermin wrote:
    Awful news, what bad luck.

But a person who chooses the username 'optimisticbiker' will be fine, I'm sure. And as others have said, we're all here to help in any way we can.

Best wishes.

I was thinking the same - staying positive will be a massive thing. So sorry to hear about what has happened, best of luck for the new road ahead.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I'm shocked to read this, I really hope you make the best of your recovery and find another passion.

Also, worth bearing in mind for the rest of us, though we don't know why you crashed, it's surely no bad thing for us to taking on board your terrible experience.
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Terrible news.I hope that you can make a recovery that leads to another life for you beyond this moment.I saw a lady cyclist last week on a hand powered recumbent and it was humbling.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    What everyone else said. Best wishes with the recovery OB.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    +1 to everyone. Shocking news, I wish you all the best in your recovery. Stay Strong.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I can only echo what everyone else has said. Good luck on the rehab.
    Stay Optimistic, Biker.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Can only imagine what you are going through but I wish you all the best for the future and a speedy rehab.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Sorry to hear that mate. Truly.

Laurence.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Christ! Best of luck in your recovery.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I looked at this thread a day or so ago, your story has been playing on my mind as I have ridden to and from work. I was lost for words and have no idea what to write, the story is so shocking and I feel very upset for you, OB.

I hope that your recovery goes as planned and that the people closest to you are able to support you for the future.

I feel very sorry for you, but hey, you probably don't want to hear about my sorrow for your situation. What you need is something positive, and you have taken the first steps and posted on here: So, Chapeau, keep posting and keep telling us how it is going.

Not met you, but you are on my mind!

**I am not a stalker :-)
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Your story was on my mind all the way to work this morning. Best of luck in your recovery, as said above make the decison now to never give up! I'm sure I speak for most of us here in saying if we can do anything just ask and keep us updated on your progress.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Just seen your post - awful news. Wishing you all the best for your recovery, and keeping my fingers crossed that you can get back on some form of bike as soon as poss.

The lady who writes for the Times on Saturday who became paraplegic after a riding accident (Melanie Reid) maybe someone you want to read. She's quite a realist, but very inspiring.

Good luck xx
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    :shock:

As a mtb'r i cant imagine what you guys must all think when you next step over your steads. i think OB is an inspiration here and i'm sure when you are ready will be back on a bike, be it a differeent kind, i'm sure all those feelings of the open road will flood back.

Good luck man 8)
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • So sorry to hear that OB. Hope things improve quickly and as Steve Wright used to say "Keep your tongue out!"

Can we fix it?
    Yes we can!
  • Hey OB, get back to us when you can, really would like to know how you're doing? In the meantime keep strong.
  • +1 to all the above , get well soon OB , enjoy the next steed in whatever form as much as the other's. VH
    Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Life deals us all some sh1t, some get more than others. But from very personal experience I can tell you that if you look really hard, there is some silver lining there somewhere, believe me it can be difficult to find at times, but if you try really hard...

I've managed to survive Cancer, my wife isn't so lucky, she has terminal breast Cancer. You can survive this and live a life, perhaps not the life you used to live, but you can still achieve and have meaningful relationships.

You have my best wishes for the future.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    I'm going to try harder not to be so miserable tomorrow. In fact, make that for the rest of my life.
  • +1 for all of the above..... makes things you thought were issues seem piddly in hindsight after reading this........

good luck with all you have to face.

Ross
    It's a boy , It's a boy , I Shouted Running Into The Street With Tears Running Down My Face.....

That's The Last Time I Holiday In Thailand

URL Pinkbike
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Sorry to read of this. I'm sure, in time, you'll be able to draw on the inspiration and achievements of others in a similar position. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Aggie.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Hello Aggie,

Long time no hear.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Not a lot I can say really, other than my thoughts are with you.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • stuj15
    stuj15 Posts: 167
    Sorry to hear this OB. Hope you can get on the road to recovery soon, I was thinking about this this morning on the journey in. Puts it all into perspective.
  • A truly humbling post for any of us to read. Best wishes as you battle through.