Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Called British Gas for a boiler fault about 2pm on Friday. Was fixed by 5:30.
    Have to say, I got lucky fixing with BG just before everyone went bust having previously been with various, now defunct suppliers.

For all the corporate bland of British Gas, I’ve actually had very good service from them on multiple things this past 18months
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,215
    Group ride today, we were stopped by Palnackie 'harbour' next to tall ship La Malouine just back from IoM, low tide the estuary looked empty.

Anyways. Sitting there having a chat. A couple on e-MTBs show up, we start chatting. They're from Cumbria 2 hours away but enjoying the quiet peaceful roads and tracks round here compared to homeland. Discover they're in their 80s 😳 Wow, they looked 20 years plus younger. Shows what getting out and riding your bike can do for you.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,706
    Nearly a quarter of a million views of my French FB stuff over the past four weeks. Utterly trivial, as I've no intention of monetising it.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,121
    BT - Sex symbol to the over 60's French women.

Whodathunk.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • briantrumpet
    Nads not getting into the HoL definitely cheers me up, especially as she was banking on Johnson's promises. Hafuckingha.

• pinno
    Tweeted by P Morgan.

There's something very oily and rank in there. Odious @rsehole.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

Nads not getting into the HoL definitely cheers me up, especially as she was banking on Johnson's promises. Hafuckingha.

• secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,041

She should join the class struggle, comrade. :D

• briantrumpet
    Having a simple enough headset on the Colnago that even I can disassemble it (it was making creaking noises), clean off all the cr@p that had accumulated inside, regrease and reassemble in 15 minutes. I didn;t even have any bits left over at the end, and the creaking is cured.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

Having a simple enough headset on the Colnago that even I can disassemble it (it was making creaking noises), clean off all the cr@p that had accumulated inside, regrease and reassemble in 15 minutes. I didn;t even have any bits left over at the end, and the creaking is cured.

I like this. I do look at bikes with integrated cabling and just think, nope.

They look nice, but I’m sure some people have zero idea about the real life implications of such things.
  • briantrumpet
    morstar said:

They look nice, but I’m sure some people have zero idea about the real life implications of such things.

I think I might give this a miss too, if I were in Greenland

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiviak
  • pinno

morstar said:

You really ought to try Lutefisk.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,231
    This weather whilst enjoying a holiday in the UK. Now the humidity has dropped it’s absolutely perfect. Mid 20s, sunny, gentle breeze.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,152
    pinno said:

morstar said:

You really ought to try Lutefisk.

No I didn't.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,215
    Around lunchtime heard this big aircraft noise, popped outside to see 3 Hercules flying over. It's their retirement tour of the UK. Though the planned route published didn't come anywhere near here. Were they lost? Anyway, nice to see for the last time.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited June 2023
    Getting into the swing of fatherhood by getting pretty expensive tickets to see a band who peaked 20 years ago when I was a teenager 💪🏻💪🏻

(QOTSA)

Face value too so that’s something
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    orraloon said:

Around lunchtime heard this big aircraft noise, popped outside to see 3 Hercules flying over. It's their retirement tour of the UK. Though the planned route published didn't come anywhere near here. Were they lost? Anyway, nice to see for the last time.

They flew past our offices (we overlook Cambs airport) a couple of days ago.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,483

orraloon said:

They flew past our offices (we overlook Cambs airport) a couple of days ago.
    I tried to catch them in Brighton but they were out to sea I assume to give Shoreham airport a wide berth. Shame. A fabulous aircraft if not a comfy one :)
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    A few things

1) Still managing some early starts to get some exercise done. Upping the volume quite considerably and knee is holding up well.

2) My dad lives in Borneo and came back to the UK last week - brought with him an insane R/C car (RRP £600) as his kids (my 1/2 siblings) don't want it any more. It is absolutely insane. Definitely not for a city terrace garden - a quick play last night dug up most of the flowerbeds and destroyed a few pots.
  • surrey_commuter
    orraloon said:

a few years ago driving through the Mach Loop and one appeared over a bump in the road, I nearly shat myself, 10 seconds later his mate followed and my tourettes got worse
  • Tashman
    Getting the TMS audio synched perfectly with the Sky pictures for the cricket
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,610
    Tashman said:

How did you do that?
  • Tashman

Tashman said:

How did you do that?
    Pausing the TMS digital feed for just the right amount of time. Very much trial and error
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,610
    Tashman said:

Tashman said:

How did you do that?
    Pausing the TMS digital feed for just the right amount of time. Very much trial and error
    I assumed that would be behind the TV, but I guess you could also pause the TV if that were the case.
  • Tashman

Tashman said:

Tashman said:

How did you do that?
    I assumed that would be behind the TV, but I guess you could also pause the TV if that were the case.
    I've got the Sky feed on the laptop so may be slightly behind the TV too
  • surrey_commuter
    Tashman said:

Tashman said:

Tashman said:

How did you do that?
    I've got the Sky feed on the laptop so may be slightly behind the TV too
    TV is behind TMS for me
  • briantrumpet
    Starting a Facebook thread about lardy cake on an Exeter group, and it very much seems to be people of 'a certain age' who wax (or lard) lyrical about their memories of it. It appears that good examples are much rarer than they used to be. The search continues... no top tips yet, but it's early days...
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,026

Starting a Facebook thread about lardy cake on an Exeter group, and it very much seems to be people of 'a certain age' who wax (or lard) lyrical about their memories of it. It appears that good examples are much rarer than they used to be. The search continues... no top tips yet, but it's early days...

It’s about time that you realised that you are an “influencer” and cashed in.
    Yes, I know it sounds ridiculous and too easy but have you seen the sh!t that passes for “content” these days?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.