Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,932
    Having been ECG'd, being told by my GP that my extra random heartbeats aren't anything to worry about, and that they are down to "ventricular ectopics and ventricular bigeminy". He told me I can carry on with my 'normal' exercise routine, which might include the odd 1000m mountain this week.

Anyway, I'm not going to google them, as I'll probably frighten myself to death instead if I do.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,560
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,270
  • Stevo_666
    Probably a Southern softie.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kingstongraham
    Stevo_666 said:

No, Islington's in the north.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

No, Islington's in the north.
    He might have crossed the river that morning.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    They really do seem the most disliked bunch of protesters I can recall, possibly as they just seem so random in their aims. Even other environmental protesters seem to hate them. The Chelsea Flower Show was quite funny when the woman hosed them down which then just made their powder even more of a mess.
  • Stevo_666
    Pross said:

They really do seem the most disliked bunch of protesters I can recall, possibly as they just seem so random in their aims. Even other environmental protesters seem to hate them. The Chelsea Flower Show was quite funny when the woman hosed them down which then just made their powder even more of a mess.

Hosing them down is better when its freezing cold. Although a high pressure hose is good value any time of year.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Pross said:

what I don't get is why the police are so quick to protect them. If they deprioritised attending then drivers and passers by would solve it themselves
  • kingstongraham

Pross said:

what I don't get is why the police are so quick to protect them. If they deprioritised attending then drivers and passers by would solve it themselves
    You've supplied the reason.
  • Stevo_666
    I think this particular German protester went a bit too far with the 'attaching himself to a solid object' tactic :)
    https://telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/05/31/raul-semmler-climate-protester-tarmac-hand-jailed-germany/

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642

Pross said:

Only due to the presence of the media.
  • Stevo_666

Pross said:

Ironically, the police sometimes may not be able to get there quickly enough to protect them because some self righteous tw@ts have blocked the traffic.
  • kingstongraham

Pross said:

You think that assaults are only a problem if the media records them?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    edited May 2023

Pross said:

You think that assaults are only a problem if the media records them?
    Yes. Based on my limited experience. Problem being defined as something the police find time to investigate.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,366
    Back to trivial stuff that cheers you up.
    In this instance; Rapid Ceramic auto spray used to clean the bike.
    Cheered me up no end due to the gloss it created. Sprayed on to a cloth and used everywhere (being careful to avoid brake pads and braking surfaces).

Adds scratch (and lubricant) resistance and waterproofing.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    ^I'll look you up when I've ever in Scotland again and you can do mine.

On more trivial chatter - am quite jet-lagged as got back from holiday yesterday - decided to just get up and go for a lovely bike ride. Barely saw another car.

I've always wanted to be a morning person but it's never happened.

Fingers crossed it rolls on tomorrow as have a nice ride planned!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805

^I'll look you up when I've ever in Scotland again and you can do mine.

On more trivial chatter - am quite jet-lagged as got back from holiday yesterday - decided to just get up and go for a lovely bike ride. Barely saw another car.

It is a game changer. I first experienced the early to bed, early to rise lifestyle as that's how they live in N.Z. (outside of city slickers). Quiet roads and all day for family stuff.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • shirley_basso
    What time do you go to bed? I'd love to be an early riser but it's just never happened. I generally don't like going to bed early but even when I do, I can barely drag myself out of bed.

I was speaking to mates in Aus who do the same as you describe - bed at 9 and up at 5. What a dream.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    I feel really lazy when I look at Strava, I thought I was doing well getting out on a 15 mile run at 9.30am having dropped by my parents house first but then saw several friends who had been exercising before 5.00am. Quite a lot go for walks up the mountain for sunrise which is something I'd really like to do but like my sleep too much. For a while I did get up to be at the gym for a 6.30am class on my way to work but that stopped with a change of jobs, other than that I briefly tried to go out for a run at 7.00am but never really liked running first thing and I used to be on the bike at 7.00am for the commute.
  • pinno

^I'll look you up when I've ever in Scotland again and we'll go for a pedal.

FTFY

I love the early rides but that's mainly weather dependent.
    However, i'm not an early to bed sort of bloke so what I do is get up regardless of what time I went to bed and have a snooze later on in the day.
    I really ought to adjust my body clock. I need 7 hours sleep. I should be in bed by 11 and up at 6.
    I blame having kids. 'Our time' becomes much reduced as they get older. They're in bed for 9.30 so 'our time' is only just over an hour and a half or so.

• pblakeney

What time do you go to bed? I'd love to be an early riser but it's just never happened. I generally don't like going to bed early but even when I do, I can barely drag myself out of bed.

I was speaking to mates in Aus who do the same as you describe - bed at 9 and up at 5. What a dream.

Depends on plans. Generally 11:00 for a 06:00 wake. Can be 10:00 if I want to get up at 05:00, occasionally 04:00 at this time of year. Never before 10:00. I can get by on 6 hours sleep, 7 is normal, 8 is a lie in.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • shirley_basso
    My issue is not the productivity side of things - once I am up, I am good to go. It's the getting up which I struggle with.

Currently I am religiously getting 8 hours, which I genuinely think I need. If I start having shorter nights, I really fail to function on all cylinders during the day after a while. Maybe I need to just do it twice a week or so.
  • pblakeney

My issue is not the productivity side of things - once I am up, I am good to go. It's the getting up which I struggle with.

Currently I am religiously getting 8 hours, which I genuinely think I need. If I start having shorter nights, I really fail to function on all cylinders during the day after a while. Maybe I need to just do it twice a week or so.

Imo that is a recipe for disaster. I am a big believer in sleep patterns and body rhythms.
    Could all be bollocks though.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • shirley_basso
    So I am generally in bed 10:30 - 7 and can get out of bed without too much trouble and don't have problems being productive straight away.

I would just love an extra hour to do something worthwhile before the kids are up, especially in summer.
  • pinno

So I am generally in bed 10:30 - 7 and can get out of bed without too much trouble and don't have problems being productive straight away.

I would just love an extra hour to do something worthwhile before the kids are up, especially in summer.

Yeah do it.

If I get up at 6am, I can have an hour and a half ride, get back, shower, sip coffee and then ship the kids to school.
  • Stevo_666
    edited June 2023
    I'm only up at 6am if I get paid to get out of bed. Otherwise a nice lie in is one of life's little pleasures.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Trying trousers on today. Apparently for the first time in many years 32 inch waist trousers are at least 2 inches too big. No where had any 30 inch trousers.
    I wonder why my old 34 inch suit trousers are not 4 inch too big.
    Still you got go with the positives when they come your way😂
  • pinno
    webboo said:

Trying trousers on today. Apparently for the first time in many years 32 inch waist trousers are at least 2 inches too big. No where had any 30 inch trousers.
    I wonder why my old 34 inch suit trousers are not 4 inch too big.
    Still you got go with the positives when they come your way😂

'Diesel' do Jeans in 1! increments and that suits me fine 'cos i'm 31/31. Rare in clothing.
    Castelli Medium on the other hand, is now too small. I think Italian clothes models are skinny.