Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I have to get large in cycling clothing, despite not being tall as I have short legs and a longish body. So medium short tend to be trying push my testicles back inside and medium jerseys are halfway up my back. That’s if I can get my arms in the sleeves.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,353
    edited June 2023
    webboo said:

I have to get large in cycling clothing, despite not being tall as I have short legs and a longish body. So medium short tend to be trying push my testicles back inside and medium jerseys are halfway up my back. That’s if I can get my arms in the sleeves.

[Attempting to create an image of Webboo in head]
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,710
    Spotify's AI DJ is pretty good.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    webboo said:

Trying trousers on today. Apparently for the first time in many years 32 inch waist trousers are at least 2 inches too big. No where had any 30 inch trousers.
    I wonder why my old 34 inch suit trousers are not 4 inch too big.
    Still you got go with the positives when they come your way😂

Buying my 16 year old his first suit for various upcoming prom/weddings etc we also found this unless you fit in Skinny fit. He loves a workout so actually has a chest and muscular thighs so had to go online in the end to get him something that fit.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Having found myself needing a new GPS watch but not wanting to spend a fortune, I was caught between too expensive or not really having all the needed features.

Turns out Decathlon have paired up with COROS and make this little gem.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/smart-watch-gps-900-by-coros-black/_/R-p-326092

‘Only’ £200 and has all the features I need.

Was already aware of COROS and had heard many good things. I have to say, their app is top drawer.
  • morstar
    Open water swimming today and kept wedding ring on by mistake. Realised about half way round the swim.
    Good thing about not being at my lightest is it stayed on. If I was properly lean, it would have slipped off when my hands got cooler.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,690
    Sorted out the caged bird feeder (keep the hoodlum rooks off the feed) and today the hedge sparrows have been at it all the time. Have lots of them nesting around the garden. Almost all the ones I've seen (representative random sample) have been the females doing the fetch carry for the nestlings, Meanwhile all that repetitive noise all day - the males doing their thang.
  • pinno
    I heard 3 Cuckoo's on my ride today, over the moors and far away.

I'm a poet and don't know it.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,255
    morstar said:

Having found myself needing a new GPS watch but not wanting to spend a fortune, I was caught between too expensive or not really having all the needed features.

Was already aware of COROS and had heard many good things. I have to say, their app is top drawer.

Looks really good for the price - is it only bluetooth not ant?
  • morstar

morstar said:

Looks really good for the price - is it only bluetooth not ant?
    Yes, Bluetooth only.
    Very pleased with it so far.
    One gripe (which is repeated in reviews) is that the HR readings are a bit crap for a good 15 minutes or so.
    I have always had a settling period with both wrist and chest straps but normally settles in less than 10 minutes.

The instructions do suggest waiting for a confirmation beep before starting exercise so will try that next time.

Read one review said the screen isn’t bright enough. No problems seeing it this weekend and I don’t think the weather can get much brighter than it has been.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Keeping up the early starts - up at 5 on Sat to squeeze in 45 miles, 6 am start on Sun to keep the body clock in sync and got up just before 6 for a run today.

Garmin is not overly happy about the training load but hey ho
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776

Keeping up the early starts - up at 5 on Sat to squeeze in 45 miles, 6 am start on Sun to keep the body clock in sync and got up just before 6 for a run today.

Garmin is not overly happy about the training load but hey ho

The best part is that you are not missing out on anything, simply moving the clock an hour or two earlier.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    That's the plan.

The hard part is the getting out of bed - everything else is easy. This morning I had everything laid out by the front door so I didn't need to wake anyone up as I went out.

9:30-10:30 pm is wasted time in front of the TV.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,387
    pinno said:

Hearing a cuckoo is something that never fails to cheer me up!
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • pinno
    edited June 2023

pinno said:

Except when you learn that they kick fledgelings out of their nest, lay an egg and some poor other much smaller bird brings up their young, often exhausted trying to keep up the feeds for this gigantic chick.
    They are lazy b4stards.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    pinno said:

pinno said:

Except when you learn that they kick fledgelings out of their nest, lay an egg and some poor other much smaller bird brings up their young, often exhausted trying to keep up the feeds for this gigantic chick.
    They are lazy b4stards.
    As you've been clubbing in Middlesbrough before you should know a thing or two about gigantic chicks ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • laurentian
    edited June 2023
    pinno said:

pinno said:

They are clever b4stards.
    FTFY . . . its the newly hatched birds that throw the host chicks/eggs out of the nest, they also mimic the appearance of the eggs of the host birds and have a gestation period that is faster to facilitate such devilment - fascinating things cuckoos.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397

pinno said:

pinno said:

FTFY . . . its the newly hatched birds that throw the host chicks/eggs out of the nest, they also mimic the appearance of the eggs of the host birds and have a gestation period that is faster to facilitate such devilment - fascinating things cuckoos.
    Fascinating, but evil! I happened across this knowledge yesterday as we started hearing a cuckoo here. Never knew about their behavior. They’re really devious, which is at odds with their beautiful sounds. Our bird book described them as parasites!!!!

Headed off to the outer Hebrides next week, and in prep, learning about Skua’s. Another evil bird, and described in the book as the ‘pirates’ of the bird world.

We’ve got a small family of Roe deer who ‘live’ in our garden (they’ve all got names) , and this week every year, the mum gives birth to a fawn. Saw this years little un for the first yesterday, staggering around with mum. Must be less that 48hrs old. Really cheered me up!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,622
    wavefront said:

pinno said:

pinno said:

Fascinating, but evil! I happened across this knowledge yesterday as we started hearing a cuckoo here. Never knew about their behavior. They’re really devious, which is at odds with their beautiful sounds. Our bird book described them as parasites!!!!

Headed off to the outer Hebrides next week, and in prep, learning about Skua’s. Another evil bird, and described in the book as the ‘pirates’ of the bird world.

We’ve got a small family of Roe deer who ‘live’ in our garden (they’ve all got names) , and this week every year, the mum gives birth to a fawn. Saw this years little un for the first yesterday, staggering around with mum. Must be less that 48hrs old. Really cheered me up!
    In case it is of interest

cuck·old (kŭk′əld, ko͝ok′-)
    n.
    A man whose spouse or romantic partner is unfaithful.
    tr.v. cuck·old·ed, cuck·old·ing, cuck·olds
    To make a cuckold of.
    [Middle English cokewald, from Anglo-Norman *cucuald, from cucu, the cuckoo, from Vulgar Latin *cuccūlus, from Latin cucūlus.]
    Word History: The allusion to the cuckoo on which the word cuckold is based may not be appreciated by those unfamiliar with the nesting habits of certain varieties of this bird. The female of some cuckoos lays its eggs in the nests of other birds, leaving them to be cared for by the resident nesters. This parasitic tendency has given the female bird a figurative reputation for unfaithfulness as well. Hence in Old French we find the word cucuault, composed of cocu, "cuckoo, cuckold," and the pejorative suffix -ald, used to designate a husband whose wife has wandered afield like the female cuckoo. An earlier assumed form of the Old French word was borrowed into Middle English by way of Anglo-Norman. Middle English cokewold, the ancestor of Modern English cuckold, is first recorded in a work written around 1250.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,622
    Whilst I don't particularly like the opaqueness of the pricing, I do like the new baggage rules on EasyJet which means very few large wheeled cabin bags and loads of space in the overhead lockers.
  • pblakeney
    Veggies are going to be a bit peeved off.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-65810138
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
    pblakeney said:

Veggies are going to be a bit peeved off.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-65810138

There is a slight caveat:

"A singular focus on increasing dietary taurine risks driving poor nutritional choices, because plant-rich diets are associated with human health and longevity.

"Thus like any intervention, taurine supplementation with the aim of improving human health and longevity should be approached with caution."

Ans the last thing we need is for red meat production to rise more than it already is. I hope that sort of research doesn't further drive demand.
  • pblakeney
    A balanced diet is good for you.
    Not a new thing.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
    A local scarecrow got an award for being outstanding in his field.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,916
    edited June 2023
    Thanks to an encounter with a not-lardy lardy cake, a friend and I have made it a mission to rediscover the type of lardy cake we remember from our youth. We've found a pretty good one in Crediton... but the hunt continues.

• capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    When all the cord of the vacuum cleaner retracts into the machine on the first push of the button and without intervention.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,560
    capt_slog said:

When all the cord of the vacuum cleaner retracts into the machine on the first push of the button and without intervention.

Presumably without the plug taking out your shin too? If so that's a rare win!
  • laurentian
    capt_slog said:

This is the kind of thing that this thread is for!
    Wilier Izoard XP