Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,121
    Apart from a moth epidemic, this cheered me up:

https://www.disraeligears.co.uk/site/home.html

It's a gem.
    I did not know that there were so many rear mech manufacturers.
    The author has a good sense of humour without trivialising.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    Cathodes are, “an eclectic, experimental instrumental band whose chief concerns are shredding eardrums and melting faces, Cathodes was formed in 2011 in Birmingham, setting themselves to honing a set of tunes that fused post-rock, mathcore, alternative and grunge into a dark, heady brew that led one seasoned observer to note, "You're like the evil version of The Shadows, you are."

That’s a very long sentence that would not have pleased my secondary school English teacher.

‘Derailleur’ is the first track on their album ‘Nothing is Ever the Plan’ - partially recorded in the cosmopolitan-ground-zero-of-cool that is Redditch.
  • pinno
    More mastery from Disraeli and his derailleurs:

1983 was a tumultuous year for Campagnolo. On the downside, Tullio Campagnolo sadly died at the age of 81 on the 3rd of February. On the upside, later that year the company celebrated its 50th anniversary.

To celebrate its 50th Anniversary and to honour the memory of Tullio, the company released a special, limited edition, '50th Anniversary' groupset. I believe that 15,000 of these groupsets were manufactured, with each accompanied by an individually numbered card. The rear derailleur in this groupset was a Campagnolo Super Record of the time, enhanced with a '50' logo, real gold detailing and an embossed signature of Tullio Campagnolo.

Groupset number 2 was presented to Pope John Paul II at a ceremony in the Vatican. Groupset number 1 was kept by Campagnolo. Inevitably, sharp tongued wags quipped that these numbers were entirely appropriate because most cyclists considered that Tullio was one step closer to God than His Holiness.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,935
    Summer Solstice. Summer longest day.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Flat peaches in the office fruit bowl today.
  • pinno
    Disreali (again)

On the subject of an early Campag rear mech:

It has a rather splendid conical headed b-pivot bolt, and a slotted p-pivot bolt. The adjustment screws and the original pulley bolt have what used to be called cheese heads (a note for younger American readers - cheese used to come in large flatish cylinders, not in pre-cut square slices or in an aerosol can).
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397

They’re divine aren’t they! If you haven’t tried, try griddlimg them to caramelise them a bit, pop them onto a salad along with some aged parma ham. My favorite summer dish!
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Took full willpower to get up early this morning for a run, didn't feel i was pushing too hard but managed to run a 10k PB and definitely feel I had more in the tank. Also Garmin says my vo2 max has increased from 53 to 54.

Knee has been causing me trouble for ages so surprised I didn't get any aches. MRI tomorrow so let's see...
  • rick_chasey
    wavefront said:

They’re divine aren’t they! If you haven’t tried, try griddlimg them to caramelise them a bit, pop them onto a salad along with some aged parma ham. My favorite summer dish!
    I like to treat them a bit like apricots.

under the grill with some brown sugar - dollop of crème fraiche.

Straight up in the office is good enough tbh.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

wavefront said:

are you talking about what I call "donut peaches"
  • If you haven’t tried, try griddlimg them to caramelise them a bit, pop them onto a salad along with some aged parma ham. My favorite summer dish!

On the sweet/salty theme, I like fresh figs with parma ham and mozzarella. Add some torn fresh basil, crushed hazelnuts and a little olive oil and it makes a great salad.
  • rick_chasey

wavefront said:

are you talking about what I call "donut peaches"
    aye
  • pinno

Took full willpower to get up early this morning for a run, didn't feel i was pushing too hard but managed to run a 10k PB and definitely feel I had more in the tank. Also Garmin says my vo2 max has increased from 53 to 54.

Knee has been causing me trouble for ages so surprised I didn't get any aches. MRI tomorrow so let's see...

Have you tried alleviating the tension in the Vastus intermedius and the Vastus lateralis muscles?
    You can use a hand massager or a rolling pin, sitting with your legs at 45 deg.. both feet flat to the floor.
    (Although you might be aware of that, if so ignore my post).

Or...

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/hdA9qzTjtPg
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited June 2023
    I think it's mechanics all over - namely glutes not doing any work to keep the knee supported. I've done loads of knee strengthening and massaged out all the tightness. Remaining pain is possibly a medial meniscus tear - MRI will tell me how bad.
  • wavefront

If you haven’t tried, try griddlimg them to caramelise them a bit, pop them onto a salad along with some aged parma ham. My favorite summer dish!

On the sweet/salty theme, I like fresh figs with parma ham and mozzarella. Add some torn fresh basil, crushed hazelnuts and a little olive oil and it makes a great salad.
    Oooooh! Every single one of those ingredients is in my favorite list. Will be trying this this weekend!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,215
    The name of this food outlet in Glesca. 😊

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/23589021.story-behind-barras-new-street-food-spot-ho-lee-fook/

Oh aye, so it translates as... snigger.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,706
    Being able to ride down to Budleigh Salterton after work for an ice cream. I really should have taken swimming stuff too... maybe next week, if I get organised.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,777
    orraloon said:

The name of this food outlet in Glesca. 😊

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/23589021.story-behind-barras-new-street-food-spot-ho-lee-fook/

Oh aye, so it translates as... snigger.

There's also this one from Hong Kong.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    Anti-histamine tablets. Never used them before, but mysteriously developed itchy skin all over the place yesterday, and found odd rashes this morning. Even though I've no idea what the rashes are, at least the tablets seem to have reduced the itchiness and obviousness of the rashes. Now just hoping that the reason will as mysteriously disappear. Not aware I've been bitten, or have any allergies, and haven't changed food, washing powder etc. Weird.
  • pinno

Anti-histamine tablets. Never used them before, but mysteriously developed itchy skin all over the place yesterday, and found odd rashes this morning. Even though I've no idea what the rashes are, at least the tablets seem to have reduced the itchiness and obviousness of the rashes. Now just hoping that the reason will as mysteriously disappear. Not aware I've been bitten, or have any allergies, and haven't changed food, washing powder etc. Weird.

Psychosomatic innit - It was the thought of hugging FA wot caused it.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,610
    edited June 2023

Hives. No external cause.
  • briantrumpet

Hives. No external cause.

Thanks. Reading the NHS page on that, it sounds likely. Certainly weird to get patches on the palms of my hands, which are pretty immune to just about everything, having milked cows for 14 years.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,607
    Completely disassembled my winter bike's squeaky m520 pedals. Removed all the gunk, cleaned and oiled the springs, re-greased the bearings etc. Squeak gone.

Really not worth it when a new pair is £25 but very satisfying.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Doesn’t that just prove how the pop music industry takes talented and diverse artists and squeezes them into such tight, narrow and bland boxes.

I loathed his 80’s/90’s output. It represented everything wrong with music. And yet now you can’t help but see what a likeable and talented guy he is.

He must be living the dream having had his career totally rejuvenated by a viral joke.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,796
    The final episode of Blackadder Goes Forth.

What a masterpiece. Seen it many times but it was on the other night and really took my breath away.

The writing, tone and performances are all utterly perfect.
  • rick_chasey
    Leftfield at Glastonbury 👌🏻👌🏻.

#oldtodgermusic
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,664
    Slash is still insane...

(Poor old Axl's voice is not 😢)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • wavefront
    ddraver said:

Slash is still insane...

(Poor old Axl's voice is not 😢)

Yup, sadly didn’t enjoy the gig anywhere near as much as I was hoping to. Their past their performing (and visual!) best, even Slash.

However, Appetite still remains a brilliant album and will always enjoy listening to it!