Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• And yet now you can’t help but see what a likeable and talented guy he is.

He must be living the dream having had his career totally rejuvenated by a viral joke.

Seen him interviewed as well a few times. You can tell he just loves being able to do what he wants and perform the music he likes. He knows you can be out in the wilderness at any second and is just enjoying it.

As for G'n'R... that was just weird, agree with others that AR voice has gone but it seemed they were deliberately turning it down in the mix to hide it.
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397

And yet now you can’t help but see what a likeable and talented guy he is.

He must be living the dream having had his career totally rejuvenated by a viral joke.

Seen him interviewed as well a few times. You can tell he just loves being able to do what he wants and perform the music he likes. He knows you can be out in the wilderness at any second and is just enjoying it.

As for G'n'R... that was just weird, agree with others that AR voice has gone but it seemed they were deliberately turning it down in the mix to hide it.
    In amongst the bad reviews the did say Axel’s vocals in real life cut through the mix ‘like a knife through butter’ , so it sounds like on TV the sound mix was poor which oddly may have made him sound worse than we thought he was.

Saw the snippet of RA and as much as love that he is loving a resurgence, the bit I saw of him at the front of the stage I felt he he looked so wooden and awkward. To be fair the same could be said of half the musicians we see these days.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    wavefront said:

And yet now you can’t help but see what a likeable and talented guy he is.

In amongst the bad reviews the did say Axel’s vocals in real life cut through the mix ‘like a knife through butter’ , so it sounds like on TV the sound mix was poor which oddly may have made him sound worse than we thought he was.

Saw the snippet of RA and as much as love that he is loving a resurgence, the bit I saw of him at the front of the stage I felt he he looked so wooden and awkward. To be fair the same could be said of half the musicians we see these days.
    I doubt RA ever crafted much of a live performance persona for a stadium / festival sized crowd in his prime.

Wheeled out to mime and move to a choreographed routine would have been his day job.

It’s nice when you see surprisingly good performers. I took my daughter to see McFly a few years ago. Very well versed performers and Danny a natural showman. Enjoyed a good show rather than just chaperoned the child.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Can’t tell you how much I’m enjoying my little bike computer sat nav thing. Already found a tonne of quiet interesting pretty roads I wouldn’t have been near otherwise. Glorious
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,935
    I made my own sat nav with an old Nokia phone Bluetooth gps and OS map around twenty years ago. It mainly gave me the confidence in time with long rides. Great for walks too as you knew you had right of way.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,705
    Managing to find a spare spot on the beach...

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,610
    Does anyone young go to Glastonbury any more? What do the kids do now?
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,891
    edited June 2023
    If thekids aren't there, then Carly Rae wossername was a strange choice to perform (I only know of her through my nine year old daughter)
    I have been away for the weekend so haven't seen any news or footage but it's always been a big age range.
    My first year (late 90s) Tony Bennet was playing to a crowd of soggy sixty somethings and my last year (2011 I think) we went with a bunch of friends that included neices and parents of the group.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,231

Does anyone young go to Glastonbury any more? What do the kids do now?

Seemed a huge age range on the 5 minutes I saw. Age range of 20 somethings to 70 somethings. One thing I really don’t get is the people that take toddlers with them.
  • focuszing723
    He should have been headlining rather than the Frost Bitten Monkeys.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited June 2023

Can’t tell you how much I’m enjoying my little bike computer sat nav thing. Already found a tonne of quiet interesting pretty roads I wouldn’t have been near otherwise. Glorious

Looking at your Strava from today - I'd say it needs work! I had 3 months gardening leave when I moved here and did a sort of daisy shape (lots of loops) around the city and generally found west and south was nicest, although if you go a long way East then it also gets absolutely beautiful.

For your shorter rides I would head further west to start with and then come in from the south - that road to fulbourn is awful, and genuinely lethal (my wife had to collect the still alive animal from someone who died in a car crash along there).

My trivially cheery news:

Bailed on my bike ride plans as I wouldn't get out till 3 and it was 30 degrees here, plus I saw a rustle of the trees. Wife gave me a 1/2 day pass to go windsurfing. Full power for 90 mins in shorts and a rash vest. Absolute heaven. I'd quit cycling in a heartbeat if I could do that instead.
  • shirley_basso

I went in 2013 and they headlined and it was immense, but they didn't have the most recent album so it was generally heavier. Such a good gig. Glasto that year (only time I've been) was perfect for me, rounded off by seeing smashing pumpkins and the hives. Plus a ton of other amazing bands!
  • focuszing723

I went in 2013 and they headlined and it was immense, but they didn't have the most recent album so it was generally heavier. Such a good gig. Glasto that year (only time I've been) was perfect for me, rounded off by seeing smashing pumpkins and the hives. Plus a ton of other amazing bands!
    Perhaps they lost themselves up their own @rseh0le when they went to LA.
  • focuszing723
    Elton's doing well, performing the tracks how people want to hear them.
  • Pross
    He’s surprising me, wife went to see him about 10 years ago and said his voice had gone but he’s doing OK tonight albeit he’s not doing higher notes these days.

Exhibitionist tw@ts who insist on going on someone’s shoulders would do my head in.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,796
    Brandon looks weird. I'm guessing it's not drugs bearing in mind his religious persuasion so presumably surgery.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,827

Elton's doing well, performing the tracks how people want to hear them.

In the style of the pub singer?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,827
    mrb123 said:

Brandon looks weird. I'm guessing it's not drugs bearing in mind his religious persuasion so presumably surgery.

He should get Brandon to do all the singing.
  • mrb123
    Is that a ladyboy?
  • Pross
    Not much of a fan but he’s got a hell of a back catalogue to work with to be fair.
  • focuszing723
    edited June 2023
    The blokes 76!

Seventy Six!

S
    e
    v
    e
    n
    t
    y

S
    i
    x
    !

He's doing a brilliant job and you can tell that from the audiences reaction. People were yawning during the Frost Bitten Monkeys.
  • Pross

He blokes 76!

Seventy Six!

S
    e
    v
    e
    n
    t
    y

S
    i
    x
    !

He's doing a brilliant job and you can tell that from the audiences reaction. People were yawning during the Frost Bitten Monkeys.

Younger than Debbie Harry who I caught briefly earlier then.
  • focuszing723
    The bloke's in the fookin zone.
  • mrb123
    Definitely the "I was there" set of the weekend.
  • Pross
    Not sure how he plays piano with those sausage fingers. They’re about as far from how you expect a pianist’s fingers to look!
  • rick_chasey

Looking at your Strava from today - I'd say it needs work! I had 3 months gardening leave when I moved here and did a sort of daisy shape (lots of loops) around the city and generally found west and south was nicest, although if you go a long way East then it also gets absolutely beautiful.

For your shorter rides I would head further west to start with and then come in from the south - that road to fulbourn is awful, and genuinely lethal (my wife had to collect the still alive animal from someone who died in a car crash along there).

Bailed on my bike ride plans as I wouldn't get out till 3 and it was 30 degrees here, plus I saw a rustle of the trees. Wife gave me a 1/2 day pass to go windsurfing. Full power for 90 mins in shorts and a rash vest. Absolute heaven. I'd quit cycling in a heartbeat if I could do that instead.
    I grew up in Girton so I know west very well. Don’t need a bike computer for that stuff.
  • rick_chasey
    QOTSA absolutely smashed it, by the way. High energy, tight as anything, great setlist.
  • shirley_basso

I grew up in Girton so I know west very well. Don’t need a bike computer for that stuff.
    Too far north. Think Comberton, Bourne, Eversden, Haslingfield, Barrington etc.
  • In amongst the bad reviews the did say Axel’s vocals in real life cut through the mix ‘like a knife through butter’ , so it sounds like on TV the sound mix was poor which oddly may have made him sound worse than we thought he was.

Interesting, maybe the TV didn't fully do justice to AR then.

Was that Rick Astley solo, or his covers set with Blossoms doing The Smiths? I only watched the latter and thought he looked relaxed and really enjoyed it. Not to take the proverbial out of him, but I can well imagine he prefers singing covers to his own 80's stuff!

Agree with the above that Elton was the highlight, for me as well. I am hardly a diehard fan but like most people, would sing along to the hits and respect his longevity. I was worried after hearing some very dodgy vocals from him in the past that it would be a terrible show but he really did sing well. It came across as one of those great moments when a genuinely legendary artist is at the end of their career and brings out one last memorable performance to remind everyone just how good they are and to also stick two fingers up to all the detractors.

Looking forward to catching up with QOTSA on iplayer tonight.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,705
    This is true.

Even for me, who doesn't 'do' pop music, he's got a lot of songs that I know. Also, I hadn't realised he'd studied at the Royal Academy of Music for five years, after getting a scholarship to go there.