Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,027
    edited September 2022
    Stevo_666 said:

My favourite bit was when he claimed that the laws of physics worked differently in outer space, yet people still seemed to think they could use logic to counter his statements.

I'm still think it was possible that he was something like an academic physicist who knew exactly how to wind people up.

Just looked back at the conspiracy theory thread, it was a good one. Pity he got banned but I think it would have got rather tedious long before now. Hard to believe it was 2015 when he was last on here.

To be fair to the mods, it was obvious trolling, and endless, but it was masterful and without personal insult. As soon as he was cornered, the universal laws of logic went through a wormhole into another universe.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,726
    The manc33 is still present and active on the CyclingUK forum, somewhere I visit infrequently, though he/she/it/they/whatevs seems to have tuned down the conspiracy / flat earth / no gravity type posting, much more on tech Q&A now.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Please correct me if i am wrong but I seem to remember Manc33 being behind the longest ever thread on this forum that went on for countless pages.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,692
    lesfirth said:

Please correct me if i am wrong but I seem to remember Manc33 being behind the longest ever thread on this forum that went on for countless pages.

I'm pretty sure he didn't start the 'Girls in Lycra Shorts' thread.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • orraloon said:

The manc33 is still present and active on the CyclingUK forum, somewhere I visit infrequently, though he/she/it/they/whatevs seems to have tuned down the conspiracy / flat earth / no gravity type posting, much more on tech Q&A now.

You got me Googling him. He sounds almost normal there.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,428
    Stevo_666 said:

lesfirth said:

I'm pretty sure he didn't start the 'Girls in Lycra' thread.
    FTFY.

Or 'Girls in knitwear.

Hang on, isn't the Brexit thread the longest?

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

lesfirth said:

I'm pretty sure he didn't start the 'Girls in Lycra' thread.
    FTFY.

Or 'Girls in knitwear.

Hang on, isn't the Brexit thread the longest?

Even if it is, I'll vote for quality over quantity :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    Paddington Bear being discussed so much on here. Long live the great Bear!
  • My first commute at 5.15pm of the new term, and the pleasure of sailing past 100 cars in a queue.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,752
    edited September 2022
    Glimpsed between the buildings, a perfectly framed scarlet sun setting into the Thames as I left Blackfriars Station.

🏢
    🏢 🔴 🏢
    🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I’m not sure this is trivial but I’ll stick it here.
    Yvon Chouinard gives away Patagonia https://archive.ph/HoLPC
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,396
    I may buy (another) t-shirt...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I have a fleece and t shirt that are older than my daughter who might be 29ish. The missus chucked a couple of fleeces away that I wore round the house. So I had search about for something else to wear. I found a Patagonia fleece in drawer bought at TK max 20 years ago, it’s like new.
    I went to the states to climb in 1978, we visited the Great Pacific Ironworks which was Chouinards climbing store. It was a bit of a pilgrimage to be honest.
    If he was lying in state I would be there if I could.
  • orraloon
    Not sure if this belongs in Cheer or Intrigue thread. However:

Just played the whole of Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols for the first time in f knows how many years.

Cheer: takes me back to those 70s f you punk days.
    Intrigue: it's 45 (that's forty five) years ago.

Never saw Sex Pistols live, few did I guess, did see Public Image Ltd in 2010, just a wee bit later, and the gig was effing good. Inc no spitting!
  • Stevo_666
    orraloon said:

Just played the whole of Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols for the first time in f knows how many years.

Never saw Sex Pistols live, few did I guess, did see Public Image Ltd in 2010, just a wee bit later, and the gig was effing good. Inc no spitting!

I've seem them live - back in about 2015 I think. Rotten was still a brilliant front man. He got covered in a fair bit of beer and spit and didn't care :)
  • Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

I've seem them live - back in about 2015 I think. Rotten was still a brilliant front man. He got covered in a fair bit of beer and spit and didn't care :)
    I saw them in 1996 near Finsbury park at something called Punk in the Park. I remember Stuart Pearce coming on stage and no queues at the beer tent as I was probably the only person in the field with a job
  • Stevo_666
    edited September 2022

Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

I saw them in 1996 near Finsbury park at something called Punk in the Park. I remember Stuart Pearce coming on stage and no queues at the beer tent as I was probably the only person in the field with a job
    I think our little group might have been in the employed minority even middle of the last decade. Audience seemed to be split between middle aged bods like us who grew up with stuff like the Pistols (generally standing towards the back) and younger hard core punk types who only seem to emerge for gigs like that (mostly in the mosh pit down the front).

Glad I saw them as they're unlikely to re-form. Was going to see The Damned a little while back then discovered they were asking something like £140 a ticket, sod that. They've sold out, so to say.
  • Being retweeted by Floella Benjamin. It's weird to think that she was on Play School *46* years ago...
  • Being retweeted by Floella Benjamin. It's weird to think that she was on Play School *46* years ago...

And now she's replied, reminding the Twittersphere that she chose the music we played for her entrance at graduations as one of her Desert Island Discs.

She really was quite a remarkable act... after hugging every single graduate for every single graduation (for ten years), after the week of graduations at Exeter (that'd be about 4500 hugs, and 30 speeches), she then sang with her band at the graduation ball on the Saturday night, up to the tender age of about 65 before she retired from the role.
  • Getting my flu & covid jabs sorted for October. There's got to be some benefits from being closer to the grave...

And now she's replied, reminding the Twittersphere that she chose the music we played for her entrance at graduations as one of her Desert Island Discs.

She really was quite a remarkable act... after hugging every single graduate for every single graduation (for ten years), after the week of graduations at Exeter (that'd be about 4500 hugs, and 30 speeches), she then sang with her band at the graduation ball on the Saturday night, up to the tender age of about 65 before she retired from the role.
    She did my graduation. I think we were her last grad ball.

She did my graduation. I think we were her last grad ball.

All the people that I've met who graduated in her time say that she had a way of making everyone feel special.

"And remember, wherever you go, whatever you do, there will always, always, always be someone who loves you... and that's me, Floella!" She knew her script!!

I got my own special hug after the last graduation in Truro each year... she made a point of coming down and thanking the musicians personally.
  • Getting my flu & covid jabs sorted for October. There's got to be some benefits from being closer to the grave...

Me too; booked in for early October. Wondering if I get one in each arm or both in one??
  • orraloon
    For the 2nd day running seeing gangs of swallows doing their thing right above my head. Yesterday was out in the forest park, today was in town in a builders' merchant with lots of them diving through almost at head height. It's 2nd half of September, I thought they'd all would have done one by now.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,428
    orraloon said:

For the 2nd day running seeing gangs of swallows doing their thing right above my head. Yesterday was out in the forest park, today was in town in a builders' merchant with lots of them diving through almost at head height. It's 2nd half of September, I thought they'd all would have done one by now.

Just waiting for the right Northerlies.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Getting Streetviewed for the second time, this time on the bike in club kit, yesterday. I hope this new one doesn't make me look like a burglar.

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,951
    edited September 2022
    Sound up

Note. The audio is a live call to a phone-in show, the animation and some sound effects were added later to turn it into a TV short

It is a 'listen to the end'

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,688
    Getting people on the train to move their bag of the seat so I can sit down. The more they look like they are trying to stop someone sitting next to them the more it cheers me up.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,799
    Pross said:

Getting people on the train to move their bag of the seat so I can sit down. The more they look like they are trying to stop someone sitting next to them the more it cheers me up.

Conversely, if you want the pair to yourself, stroking the seat and winking does the trick.