Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,778

The young are lazy, if they'd got off their arses and been born earlier they'd be laughing now. They only have themselves to blame

obviously they would want to avoid the war and it's aftermath and then the '70s and '80s were all a bit censored so I am going to suggest the optimum would be to graduate in 1995 so born in 1974.
    Hpw many years of hippy trailing are you assuming?
    none - in the 90's gap years, avocado and decent coffee did not exist.

Next time they are whining they should be made to eat tinned fruit
    Better to graduate early 70s then surely?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,521
    edited August 2022
    I blame the test tube babies of the 1980's.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • The young are lazy, if they'd got off their arses and been born earlier they'd be laughing now. They only have themselves to blame

obviously they would want to avoid the war and it's aftermath and then the '70s and '80s were all a bit censored so I am going to suggest the optimum would be to graduate in 1995 so born in 1974.
    Hpw many years of hippy trailing are you assuming?
    none - in the 90's gap years, avocado and decent coffee did not exist.

Next time they are whining they should be made to eat tinned fruit
    Better to graduate early 70s then surely?
    '70s were bad and '80s no better. Blair inherited a favourable economy so I am going to stick with 1995 with the internet on the horizon and still deep in the heart of cheap and easy international travel
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,207
    edited August 2022
    I'd just get a magical DeLorean and travel about through time looking at history and the future, fascinating. The same I guess as the UAP's which have been observed.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,188
    Street lights going off at 11pm and being able to see the milky way.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,769
    I had a cross generational conversation today with cousins and their next gen, during which 'what age does your state pension kick in?' topic aired, is it 66, 67, did you get 65 you lucky... with next gen saying '80, 81, what's a state pension?' Then I dropped the student grant bomb. My gen went 'yeah, grant'. Next gen (loanees) went 'you lucky lucky bastar....'.

Times do change.
  • briantrumpet
    Having a long and increasingly complicated list of fixes for an Android app that had stopped working because of a Huawei system update, and finding that the first thing on the list fixed it.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,867

One of my favourite bits of holidaying down your way is how dark it is at night and how many more stars you can see.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    rjsterry said:

One of my favourite bits of holidaying down your way is how dark it is at night and how many more stars you can see.

And even better in house no.2, where the housing density is even lower, and many/most villages are turning off the lights after bedtime.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,410

rjsterry said:

And even better in house no.2, where the housing density is even lower, and many/most villages are turning off the lights after bedtime.
    Son worked on a farm in a remote area of NZ for a while, said the skies were absolutely stunning
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

Assume you have been to the observatory near Sidmouth. Got to see a couple of moons of Jupiter through one of their telescopes.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    Anyway, this is perfect in so many ways.

https://youtu.be/2UoHb0ziMDA
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,442
    pblakeney said:

I don’t resent the pension payments - who would?

I resent austerity that lands just on working age people, and policies that advantage the retired *at the expense of* those of working age.

Do those of working age not expect to be one of those bloody retirees one day?
    Or realise that these bloody retirees were once young, working and supporting retirees?
    Seems a short sighted view.
    No, not on the same terms. It isn't sustainable.

Still, more on the thread topic - this trailer:

• briantrumpet
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Assume you have been to the observatory near Sidmouth. Got to see a couple of moons of Jupiter through one of their telescopes.

Oops, no, and I really should. Mind you, I haven't even been to Topsham Museum, which is just round the corner from me, and free. Mind you, I've only been in Topsham for 30 years, and I don't like to rush into things.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,978
    Got back in the car after last night’s attempts at photographing the Milky Way and once my playlist finished the song that was playing when I parked the first two songs it played from 75 on shuffle where Vincent by Don McLean (Starry Starry Night) and Stars from Les Mis. As far as I can remember they are the only star related songs on the playlist.
  • rjsterry said:

Son worked on a farm in a remote area of NZ for a while, said the skies were absolutely stunning
    I have probably ony been somewhere "proper" dark once and it is an incredible sight
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,359

rjsterry said:

I have probably ony been somewhere "proper" dark once and it is an incredible sight
    Cobham?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,061
    edited August 2022
    Best I can do is right in the middle of a Finnish forest inside the arctic circle. Never known darkness like it. Skidoo'd right into the middle, about 50km from nearest civilisation.

Lights off - couldn't see my hand in front of my face. Odd experience.

You do see a lot of stars.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,964
    edited August 2022

rjsterry said:

From the Photography Thread. Milford Sound, NZ.
    The boat was lit up.
    pblakeney said:

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but for reference, 18mm (full frame), ISO 6400, -2.3EV, f3.5, 10 seconds.

20140321-095206

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TheBigBean
    Finding out how to delete drafts on this forum.
  • focuszing723

Can you give a brief tutorial.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,359

sungod said:

orraloon said:

orraloon said:

Edit, stupid forum software, prob equates to Haziest's level of competence

Bizarrely the post isn't edited, what's the issue out of interest? Drafts at the start of the post?
    Just annoying software. Start typing, change mind, but software doesn't allow cancelling post or indeed deleting content so have to replace original, with dots or whatever, trivial indeed but annoying.
    save it as a draft

go into drafts, move the mouse pointer over the righthand end of the line that thread title is on

when it's in the right place you'll see the pointer change to indicate a hidden link

click on the hidden link, the draft is deleted
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,978
    Got back in the car after last night’s attempts at photographing the

Does it work on a phone?

Also, does anyone know how to stop your own posts showing as being new, unread posts?

I think this one is phone related as it started when I changed phone but now when I hit quote it doesn’t take me to the text box and looks like nothing happened so I hit quote again with the same result and when I eventually look at the text box there are multiple quotes there.
  • focuszing723
    pangolin said:

sungod said:

orraloon said:

orraloon said:

Bizarrely the post isn't edited, what's the issue out of interest? Drafts at the start of the post?
    Just annoying software. Start typing, change mind, but software doesn't allow cancelling post or indeed deleting content so have to replace original, with dots or whatever, trivial indeed but annoying.
    save it as a draft

go into drafts, move the mouse pointer over the righthand end of the line that thread title is on

when it's in the right place you'll see the pointer change to indicate a hidden link

Cheers.
  • focuszing723
    pangolin said:

sungod said:

orraloon said:

orraloon said:

save it as a draft

Cheers.
  • TheBigBean
    edited August 2022
    Pross said:

Does it work on a phone?

It does seem to as I just deleted two new ones. Not easy though.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,405

Indeed!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • focuszing723
    Ah, the relief. Mine just comes up with a pointer hand when the mouse hits it. You can just leave the mouse where it is then and click it each time the page refreshes after a delete.

Cheers Sungod.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,982
    If you're using a normal PC hit ctrl+a (select all) it'll show the little "X" on the line. Lot easier than wafting the mouse around 😉
  • focuszing723
    JimD666 said:

If you're using a normal PC hit ctrl+a (select all) it'll show the little "X" on the line. Lot easier than wafting the mouse around 😉

Ah, even better.

Hallelujah, Praise Ye the Lord!