Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• For the last decade some loony has been lent me a quarter of a million quid at an average rate of just over 1%

as we all love a graph

• pblakeney said:

Getting a confirmation email for my discount of the Energy Bill Support Scheme and seeing my new monthly direct debit.

My 'cheering-upness' is tempered by the fact that the bail-out is both helping to sink the UK's finances and adding to the energy companies profits at our expense.
    In better news, spot prices of gas are down a lot from what they were. A lot. So it may not end up that expensive - especially if winter is quite warm.

Yes, let's keep fingers crossed, though I won't be turning up my heating just yet.

Actually, I won't be turning up my heating anyway, cos I'm a tightwad. And I dislike hot houses.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,723
    Spoke too soon.

The Russian sabotage of the various gas lines into Europe has spiked futures up 35%
  • Spoke too soon.

The Russian sabotage of the various gas lines into Europe has spiked futures up 35%

At least it's not yet actual nuclear... though Pootin's a-runnin' out of options...
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Petrol round here has dropped 2p yesterday & today...

A bargain at 1.57! 🥳 My heart over head m'bike doesnt seem quite so bad now...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Cooking a mega proper farm butcher's sausage casserole with onions & lardons which will do me nine meals, all for about £15.

I think I've only had two or three ready meals since the first lockdown... it fundamentally changed my cooking/eating habits. And it's a darned sight cheaper.
  • ddraver
    I need a good sausage casserole recipe. My bff made one that was 👌

My attempt at freestyling one wasn't nearly as good.
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,723
    ddraver said:

Petrol round here has dropped 2p yesterday & today...

A bargain at 1.57! 🥳 My heart over head m'bike doesnt seem quite so bad now...

Once the petrol fx hedges run out they’ll go up 5%.
  • ddraver said:

I need a good sausage casserole recipe. My bff made one that was 👌

My attempt at freestyling one wasn't nearly as good.

Start browning sausages in oven. While they are doing that, chop pile of onions & lardons and stick 'em in a frying pan till they are lightly browned. Add 'erbs and seasoning to taste (guesswork from experience). Chuck in a handful of plain flour, stir around over the heat to absorb moisture, then pour in hot water (and a dissolved Oxo cube too, if you like) and stir till the sauce thickens (but you don't want it sticky thick at this stage. Then pile up the now-hot/browning sausages at one and of your deepish roasting tin (oh yes, that's what you should have put your sausages in), pour the sauce from the frying pan into the roasting tin, arrange the sausages on top. Cook for about an hour on Gas Mark 5 or so, turning once or twice to expose the pale/wet undersides each time. Experience will tell you how much liquid you need and to what stage off gooeyness to get it too before removing the tin from the oven. Serve with mashed potatoes, obvs.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,680
    That looks proper lush.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,314
    Pale/wet undersides :D
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rjsterry
    edited September 2022
    Have recently discovered the joys of spatchcocked roast chicken. Cooks in about half the time conventional roasting would take, which is good for your energy bill and means the chicken is much less dry.

I'm seeing a version of Brian's recipe but with a whole chicken instead.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pangolin said:

I deliberately avoided the word 'moist', as I know it's traumatic for some people.
  • rjsterry said:

That looks proper lush.

Or 'gert lush', to use the technical word. Yes, it is. 90 minutes at most from beginning to end, but only 20 mins prep at most. It's one of my standards.
  • PS, the oven has to be hot enough that the sauce reduces. An alternative version is to do it with cider instead of water/Oxo, and be brave and cook hot enough that the onions almost caramelise and the sauce gets really sticky... but if you take your eye off it at the crucial last moments, it's easy to overdo it and lose the goo. You don't want to lose the goo, ever.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,355

Cooking a mega proper farm butcher's sausage casserole with onions & lardons which will do me nine meals, all for about £15.

I think I've only had two or three ready meals since the first lockdown... it fundamentally changed my cooking/eating habits. And it's a darned sight cheaper.

'Ready meal'? One you prepared earlier/stuck in the freezer or a TV dinner?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno said:

Cooking a mega proper farm butcher's sausage casserole with onions & lardons which will do me nine meals, all for about £15.

Nah, the variety cooked by Mr C. Oop and put in plastic.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,787

...it's easy to overdo it and lose the goo. You don't want to lose the goo, ever.

I usually enjoy losing my goo. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

...it's easy to overdo it and lose the goo. You don't want to lose the goo, ever.

Mr Goo might want a word with you.
  • Seeing this classic tune played live
    https://youtu.be/Ww8PM4OTQtI
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Mr Goo might want a word with you.
    I've lost him. 🤣
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • ddraver

pangolin said:

I deliberately avoided the word 'moist', as I know it's traumatic for some people.
    Yeah what is it with that...???
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    ddraver said:

pangolin said:

Yeah what is it with that...???
    Dunno.
    Moist is good.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno

pinno said:

I am proud to say that the only TV dinner* I ever had was an M & S Chilli con carne some 2 weeks after my bone marrow transplant** in May 1993. It was rank.
    Shame on you.

*Forget pedantry, if it is pre-cooked stick it in the oven/microwave from the supermarket, it's a TV dinner.
    **It was my first proper meal in 3 weeks and I should not have eaten anything like that but the food at the Hammersmith was vile and options were very limited. Well meaning relatives had bought it for me and stuck it in the ward freezer.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,314
    "Forget pedantry" he says, being pedantic.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pinno
    pangolin said:

"Forget pedantry" he says, being pedantic.

My point was, is that he would argue that it wasn't a 'TV dinner' and I wasn't providing him with a loop hole.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,567
    Waking up without a hangover after last night's leaving drinks and then starting my new job with a completely empty email inbox. I'll make the most of it while it lasts!
  • rjsterry
    pinno said:

pinno said:

I am proud to say that the only TV dinner* I ever had was an M & S Chilli con carne some 2 weeks after my bone marrow transplant** in May 1993. It was rank.
    Shame on you.

*Forget pedantry, if it is pre-cooked stick it in the oven/microwave from the supermarket, it's a TV dinner.
    **It was my first proper meal in 3 weeks and I should not have eaten anything like that but the food at the Hammersmith was vile and options were very limited. Well meaning relatives had bought it for me and stuck it in the ward freezer.
    I'll admit to occasionally having a lazy evening as there is an M&S Food at the local garage. They have improved in the last 30 years and are perfectly acceptable.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• ddraver
    I just can't agree with you there RJ...

- @ddraver
  • pinno
    ddraver said:

I just can't agree with you there RJ...

Agreed. M&S food is good but a ready meal? No ta.
    I want to know what I am eating.