Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,522
    Getting no a bike yesterday for the first time since New Years eve cheered me up - I did wonder why I was a bit slow though.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Safe to say Danny has a pair. I think riding on the ridge was more exposed and scary but the last pitch of this descent must be at the limits of not going arse up and over without seriously long forks.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Saying "hello" to the spider who lives in the downstairs loo.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,685
    morstar said:

Safe to say Danny has a pair. I think riding on the ridge was more exposed and scary but the last pitch of this descent must be at the limits of not going censored up and over without seriously long forks.

There were a couple of points where you could see the rear wheel jigging about trying to get ahead of the front wheel. 😬
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,325
    rjsterry said:

morstar said:

Safe to say Danny has a pair. I think riding on the ridge was more exposed and scary but the last pitch of this descent must be at the limits of not going censored up and over without seriously long forks.

There were a couple of points where you could see the rear wheel jigging about trying to get ahead of the front wheel. 😬
    There's one point where he rides a sweeping curve with the back wheel hovering off the ground. The level of control is mind boggling.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,920
    Haha - given that I haven't played any video games since about 1985, the thought that my trumpet playing actually features (albeit only a bit) on a video game https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Sawyer's_Locomotion

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    Since someone mentioned CoD, if anyone is on a PC and wants a good free browser shooter, no sign up required..,

https://warbrokers.io/signin.php
  • Both great news
  • briantrumpet

Both great news

Hope you can have some better news soon too.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,574
    I haven't ridden through choice mainly. I got fed up with the roads, having made a brief racing comeback I realised that a) I'm not good enough and b) there were too many people prepared to put everyone's safety at risk to gain a few points so decided to concentrate on running.

I decided to get the bike back out as I've got a few running niggles but aimed to ride as much as possible on very quiet country lanes, cycleways, bridleways and gravel. I suspect my ride today was my slowest ever as I've lost fitness, gained weight and took difficult terrain. It became a bit of a slog once the snow started and I was glad to get home but I really enjoyed the early part.
  • Pross

Since someone mentioned CoD, if anyone is on a PC and wants a good free browser shooter, no sign up required..,

https://warbrokers.io/signin.php

Used to play a lot of CoD with the first two Modern Warfare versions. It got scary seeing the counter saying how much time I had spent in it.

Been waiting months for PS5 sticks and will be getting the new version as my first game for it.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    For me cycling is to get out and about, get some exercise and some fresh air (and see mates when it was possible).

Yeah it was nice to get fitter and go up that hill a bit quicker or a bit quicker than my mate, but a never really obsessed about "training", have never done my FTP and wouldn't dream of trying to race. It's only ever been about fun.

I know it's not like that for everyone however.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rick_chasey
    elbowloh said:

For me cycling is to get out and about, get some exercise and some fresh air (and see mates when it was possible).

Yeah it was nice to get fitter and go up that hill a bit quicker or a bit quicker than my mate, but a never really obsessed about "training", have never done my FTP and wouldn't dream of trying to race. It's only ever been about fun.

I get that but more speed and stamina = further distance travelled without getting totally f@cked.
  • …the winds are pumping, 25 to 32 knots. It would be perfect conditions if only I was going in the other direction:D
    Pip Hare, ‘Medallia’ image

In the Vendée Globe sailing race round the world, solo, non-stop and without assistance
  • Pross

…the winds are pumping, 25 to 32 knots. It would be perfect conditions if only I was going in the other direction:D
    Pip Hare, ‘Medallia’ image

In the Vendée Globe sailing race round the world, solo, non-stop and without assistance

Turn around and do it the other way instead ;)
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    Pross said:

… so decided to concentrate on running…

…I've lost fitness, gained weight and …

There you have it folks. Proof running is bad for you. 😀

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Proper winter. We haven't had that much snow here but there has been at least some on the ground within 100m of the house, and the big (50m across or so) puddle in the field at the back has been frozen, for weeks now. Another dusting of snow overnight to top up the views.

And I'm on duty in school on wednesday, so there's this to look forward to on the ride:

• briantrumpet

Proper winter. We haven't had that much snow here but there has been at least some on the ground within 100m of the house, and the big (50m across or so) puddle in the field at the back has been frozen, for weeks now. Another dusting of snow overnight to top up the views.

And I'm on duty in school on wednesday, so there's this to look forward to on the ride:

Wouldn't mind just a taste of proper winter in Devon - not a flake of snow chez moi yet, and Wednesday looking not too bad for a ride...

• rick_chasey

This would make me stone cold miserable, so I'm glad this cheers you up.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,355

elbowloh said:

I get that but more speed and stamina = further distance travelled without getting totally f@cked.
    This ^.

It's nice to get to a point where you can do a long and come back with enough energy for family commitments as opposed to being grumpy and flat.

I hate un planned breaks in continuity. Last 2 years have been so concatenated but i'm on a roll currently.
    Almost 2 years since last hip op. Feeling stronger all the time.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rick_chasey
    pinno said:

elbowloh said:

This ^.

It's nice to get to a point where you can do a long and come back with enough energy for family commitments as opposed to being grumpy and flat.

I hate un planned breaks in continuity. Last 2 years have been so concatenated but i'm on a roll currently.
    Almost 2 years since last hip op. Feeling stronger all the time.
    Yes. For contrast, I've basically been on my ars* for 4 months and I was as tired after a moderate 20 mins on a turbo as I used to be pre-accident after a hard couple hours.
  • Pross

Pross said:

Ha ha - I'm happy to blame the running rather than me being lazy and eating too much! I had been running very well (by my limited standards!) up until the end of October and even managed PBs at 10k and marathon in the space of two weeks despite having to run both of them solo. I took a few days off after the marathon but after that I felt rubbish on virtually every run which then led to me avoiding going out whilst also continuing to eat at marathon training levels so I've gained probably 5kg in 3 months. I'd started to get a bit of a sore shin again so need to rest it as I kept pressing on this time last year and ended up with a stress fracture so thought I'd get on the bike again for some of my training to reduce the impact. I really need a massage but obviously they aren't open at the moment.
  • Pross
    A bit of a sad one but I've just got all 4 tyres replaced on the car and there something cheery about having a full new set. It doesn't happen that often with rears lasting much longer so it's nice having everything matching and new (dent in the wallet less nice of course).
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    You're right. It is a sad one.

It's not like they're bike tyres. ;)
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • briantrumpet
    Thinking about cars, parking it up and disconnecting the battery, so that it doesn't go flat, as it did in the first 'lockdown'. I've used the car three times since the beginning of September (two of those for walks on Dartmoor), total about 160 miles.
  • Pross said:

Pross said:

Ha ha - I'm happy to blame the running rather than me being lazy and eating too much! I had been running very well (by my limited standards!) up until the end of October and even managed PBs at 10k and marathon in the space of two weeks despite having to run both of them solo. I took a few days off after the marathon but after that I felt rubbish on virtually every run which then led to me avoiding going out whilst also continuing to eat at marathon training levels so I've gained probably 5kg in 3 months. I'd started to get a bit of a sore shin again so need to rest it as I kept pressing on this time last year and ended up with a stress fracture so thought I'd get on the bike again for some of my training to reduce the impact. I really need a massage but obviously they aren't open at the moment.
    Was a time - long ago, sadly - I was a keen runner. Big weeks would be 100+ km, but average was 70-80. Often used to do 25 - 30 km of an evening in summer if I got away from work a bit early. Decided for no good reason to enter the local marathon one year, did no special training for it, just turned up and ran. Finished in 3:41 feeling pretty comfortable, and thinking "well that wasn't too hard"...

For 6 weeks after I had no leg speed *at all*... shuffled about like an old bloke. The difference the extra 10 km or so made was really surprising.

At peak running fitness I weighed about 72 kg, used to eat stupid amounts of any food available... Did my Achilles tendon and had to take almost 6 months off altogether, but forgot to stop eating. Was 86 kg by the time I started light training again... phaaaark that was hard work.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Pross

Pross said:

Pross said:

Was a time - long ago, sadly - I was a keen runner. Big weeks would be 100+ km, but average was 70-80. Often used to do 25 - 30 km of an evening in summer if I got away from work a bit early. Decided for no good reason to enter the local marathon one year, did no special training for it, just turned up and ran. Finished in 3:41 feeling pretty comfortable, and thinking "well that wasn't too hard"...

For 6 weeks after I had no leg speed *at all*... shuffled about like an old bloke. The difference the extra 10 km or so made was really surprising.

At peak running fitness I weighed about 72 kg, used to eat stupid amounts of any food available... Did my Achilles tendon and had to take almost 6 months off altogether, but forgot to stop eating. Was 86 kg by the time I started light training again... phaaaark that was hard work.

Yeah, I've done 7 marathons around 3.5 years and it still surprises me how much it affects me. I'll be doing up to around 50 miles in the build-up and run relatively well but as soon as I've done the run itself I've got nothing there for a couple of months. I'm still struggling with breaking the 4 hour mark which is annoying as I have a half PB of 1:42 but no matter how well I train I start struggling at 18-20 miles. I got my fuelling right on my last one but developed hip pain for a few miles. Being 85-90kg isn't ideal for marathon running though I suppose.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    This skier in the middle of Loch Morlich (in the foothills of the Cairngorms):