Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

This skier in the middle of Loch Morlich (in the foothills of the Cairngorms):

Is the Canoe hire open?

May pop up.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    morstar said:

Is the Canoe hire open?

May pop up.
    Oh, if only. There's a massive community of outdoor types all quietly (or not so quietly) going mad... right now it's looking like the best snow conditions in years, the ski centres are all shut, and we're all stuck at home.

And yet I still find I get more joy from looking at webcam pics of snow than not.

Here's the Glenshee road: that's the top of the crash barriers you can just see on the right, the deepest point of the drift is quite a lot higher.

• bompington
    Ah yes - I should have put a static link up as that's a live image (to the nearest 15 mins or so) and you certainly can't see the crash barriers now...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,327
    Winding up scammers, had one phone me as i was heating my lunch. I was happy to string him along for a while as it meant he wasn't bothering someone else. I wanted to get rid of him at the end so I could eat so I had a go at him for wasting people's time and trying to steal money from them. He initially tried the innocent act and then got annoyed with me. Getting a scammer angry enough that they start swearing before hanging up is really funny.
  • morstar

morstar said:

Is the Canoe hire open?

May pop up.
    Oh, if only. There's a massive community of outdoor types all quietly (or not so quietly) going mad... right now it's looking like the best snow conditions in years, the ski centres are all shut, and we're all stuck at home.

And yet I still find I get more joy from looking at webcam pics of snow than not.

Here's the Glenshee road: that's the top of the crash barriers you can just see on the right, the deepest point of the drift is quite a lot higher.

Saw an article this morning saying how the conditions are fantastic. Sod’s law isn’t it.
    Mind you, Aviemore must have restricted uplift with the funicular out of action.
  • bompington
    morstar said:

morstar said:

Is the Canoe hire open?

May pop up.

Mind you, Aviemore must have restricted uplift with the funicular out of action.
    Don't get any Scottish skier started on Cairngorm Mountain, the fury will melt the snow.
    They have been appallingly (probably fraudulently) managed while soaking up massive amounts of public money and enjoying a very strange degree of protection from the relevant govt body, Highlands and Islands Enterprise. They've been trying pretty much to close down to whole skiing side for years.
    While the other ski centres are customer friendly, creative and skint.
  • My car insurance renewal had a reduced premium

I know it must be a scam but just can’t work out their angle
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,730

My car insurance renewal had a reduced premium

I know it must be a scam but just can’t work out their angle

Has been a lotta lobbying for personal lines (car & home) to reduce their premiums as claims have fallen through the floor as a result of various lockdowns.
  • I had a £25 rebate from my car insurer last year around July time as a result of lockdown, some acted fairly early on it. Although it is probably safe to say they still pocketed a tidy sum after giving some back.
  • morstar

morstar said:

morstar said:

Is the Canoe hire open?

May pop up.

Don't get any Scottish skier started on Cairngorm Mountain, the fury will melt the snow.
    They have been appallingly (probably fraudulently) managed while soaking up massive amounts of public money and enjoying a very strange degree of protection from the relevant govt body, Highlands and Islands Enterprise. They've been trying pretty much to close down to whole skiing side for years.
    While the other ski centres are customer friendly, creative and skint.
    Oh, wasn't aware of that. Last time I skied there was using the sideways chairlifts so a good while back. Took the kids camping at Glenmore 3 or 4 summers ago was the last time I got there.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,789
    Old photos. What we have here is not only a picturesque house, or even the old 5 block 10 speed 531c bike. This is my entire setup for a solo unsupported tour of the SW in 1993.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    pblakeney said:

Old photos. What we have here is not only a picturesque house, or even the old 5 block 10 speed 531c bike. This is my entire setup for a solo unsupported tour of the SW in 1993.

How much of the your did you do on the house?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pblakeney
    elbowloh said:

pblakeney said:

Not clear on the question?
    Just passing by...
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • elbowloh
    pblakeney said:

elbowloh said:

pblakeney said:

Not clear on the question?
    Just passing by...
    You talk about the house, then the bike. Then say this was the entire set up for your tour...I inferred that you did the your on the bike and the house....

It was a rubbish joke made at quarter to 1 in the morning
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pblakeney
    edited February 2021
    That's twice you've typed "your" instead of "tour". 🤣🤣🤣
    It's the little things that cheer us up. 😉

Just for elbowloh...my entire touring kit setup in 1993.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,355
    You had already gone retro in '93!
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    pinno said:

You had already gone retro in '93!

Nowt wrong with older quality. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • piker2
    piker2 Posts: 50

morstar said:

Is the Canoe hire open?

May pop up.

This is supposed to be things that cheer me up!
    I am absolutely p***ed off that I am stuck at home and can not be there.
  • bompington
    piker2 said:

morstar said:

Is the Canoe hire open?

May pop up.

This is supposed to be things that cheer me up!
    I am absolutely p***ed off that I am stuck at home and can not be there.
    You couldn't be there anyway unless you XC ski / snowshoe / swim through snowdrifts / fly quite a long way.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,355
    ^ Helicopter?

I would advise against using that Elon Musk rocket thingy.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,581
    Seeing Root smash a six, fall down with cramp and have one of the Indian players come over to help him stretch it out. Sportsmanship at its best.

Also, seeing an England opener with 85 runs to their name and a scoring rate on roughly 1 run for every 3 balls. It's nice to see old school opening batting in this era.
  • Pross
    pblakeney said:

Is that a Raleigh Banana? If so that was the first "proper" bike I bought when I started work in 1989 although it was the bottom of the range CroMo version and I soon upgraded to a second-hand Vitus after starting to race a few months later. The Banana did end up being fitted with 'cross tyres and doing a couple of cyclocross seasons for me though (literally no other modifications).
  • pblakeney
    Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Is that a Raleigh Banana? If so that was the first "proper" bike I bought when I started work in 1989 although it was the bottom of the range CroMo version and I soon upgraded to a second-hand Vitus after starting to race a few months later. The Banana did end up being fitted with 'cross tyres and doing a couple of cyclocross seasons for me though (literally no other modifications).
    Yes, full 531c including forks version, full 105 groupset, Cinelli finishing and Weinmann wheels with 19mm tyres when new. The turbo saddle was added later.
    Shop was struggling to supply the basic bike that I had ordered so offered this NOS for the same price. Glad they did! 😎
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,315
    This is fantastic https://youtu.be/lgGmYeAm0jk
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,920
    I managed to get a copy of my recordings for the game Locomotion from the talented composer of all the music, Allister Brimble. I think he said that Transport Tycoon, which also had his music on, sold 7 million copies. He's had his game music performed by full orchestra in the Leipzig Gewandhaus, which is more than I'll even get near.

Anyway, the tunes for this game were all arranged by the decade, and this tune was for the 1920s.

https://youtu.be/tBqYPzRvfkA
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,315
    edited February 2021

I managed to get a copy of my recordings for the game Locomotion from the talented composer of all the music, Allister Brimble. I think he said that Transport Tycoon, which also had his music on, sold 7 million copies. He's had his game music performed by full orchestra in the Leipzig Gewandhaus, which is more than I'll even get near.

Anyway, the tunes for this game were all arranged by the decade, and this tune was for the 1920s.

I loved transport tycoon! Afraid I never played locomotion though.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • elbowloh
    Pross said:

pblakeney said:

That was my "dream" bike when I was about 10!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,920
    pangolin said:

I loved transport tycoon! Afraid I never played locomotion though.
    Yes, sadly that didn't sell nearly as well. Here's his full list of credits...

https://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,790/
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,638
    As time has gone on gravel bikes have acquired smaller wheels, larger tyres and now some have front suspension. So my obsolete unloved hard tail has turned into a cutting edge gravel bike all by itself. I just need curly bars for it.
  • Pross
    pblakeney said:

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Yes, full 531c including forks version, full 105 groupset, Cinelli finishing and Weinmann wheels with 19mm tyres when new. The turbo saddle was added later.
    Shop was struggling to supply the basic bike that I had ordered so offered this NOS for the same price. Glad they did! 😎
    Ah, 19mm tyres. I remember the shame I felt once when my LBS only had 22mm in stock and I needed new tyres in a hurry. It felt like I was riding an MTB, even my first 'cross tyres were only 25mm now you regularly see threads on here like "I've only got 28mm tyres fitted, will my frame take something bigger". The only bigger shame was when I fitted a 23t cassette at the recommendation of a race organiser for a particularly steep climb on his course. Prior to that I'd never used anything smaller than 42x21. Last week I went out on my "gravel" (cyclocross) bike having fitted a 12-32 cassette the previous day with a 36t inner chainring and I still had to walk the one hill!