Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,347
    elbowloh said:

pinno said:

pinno said:

Fair play to them.
    I need to sit in front of the fire for 1 hour for every 5 mins spent outside at the moment.
    I must be a marine Iguana.

Mind you, you do live virtually in the Arctic Circle up there.
    Bollox.

I am south of Newcastle but still in Scotland and I am in the South of the UK.
    I am sure I have written this before.
    A Ugandan visited the UK. He hired a car and drove from South to North. At every juncture there was a sign saying 'North...' all the way to Ullapool. He thought 'where the hell is this 'North'? '. So he sat down with the map of Britain and worked out exactly where this 'North' started and it is at Cairnryan, which is 4 miles North of me.
    Why are you so afraid of being classed as North?
    There's no chance or desire to be classed as 'North'. I was born in the Southern Hemisphere after all.
    It's just this southern-centric perception of North that irks me.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    pinno said:

elbowloh said:

pinno said:

pinno said:

Fair play to them.
    I need to sit in front of the fire for 1 hour for every 5 mins spent outside at the moment.

Bollox.

A Ugandan visited the UK. He hired a car and drove from South to North. At every juncture there was a sign saying 'North...' all the way to Ullapool. He thought 'where the hell is this 'North'? '. So he sat down with the map of Britain and worked out exactly where this 'North' started and it is at Cairnryan, which is 4 miles North of me.
    Why are you so afraid of being classed as North?
    There's no chance or desire to be classed as 'North'. I was born in the Southern Hemisphere after all.
    It's just this southern-centric perception of North that irks me.
    That's that northern chippyness kicking in.😉
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,622
    I thought the north south divide was marked by the Thames.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    Definitely further North than that.

https://youtu.be/PT0ay9u1gg4
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno said:

pinno said:

Fair play to them.

Bollox.

Almost,

I too was curious once, so I worked out the middle (UK) was just south of Penrith (IMHO)

Phrases like ‘the east coast mainline’ drive me mad, it goes nowhere near the east coast

That map has the north south line marked on it
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,916
    One for @rjsterry...

Lighting my Jøtul 602 and keeping it in for a week. (I once did a whole winter on just one match.) It's in its third house now, in France, with about two years' supply of wood ready to burn... though it does rather depend on me getting to France...
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I don't like turbo stuff much, but we have Dr Bomp's old MTB set up a cheap one in the garage, so as I'm not commuting much at the mo I sometimes do HIT-ish intervals on it.

It was nice and fresh when I went in the (double, internal, a bit too well ventilated) garage, so it occurred to me to check the temp on the computer on the red bike, parked across the garage.

It read 5.6° when I started, and by the time I had finished 25 mins later it read 8.5°.

Forget all that zwift and tacx nonsense, I've found the best way to measure total work done in a turbo session.

Next time I'll see if I can beat a 3° rise.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    You're killing the planet
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,314
    You need to get a control by just sitting in there for an hour and seeing what effect that has.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • bompington
    pangolin said:

You need to get a control by just sitting in there for an hour and seeing what effect that has.

Well that would be the proper scientific method, but I would be a bit concerned about how much my temp would go down by :o
  • Pross
    Presumably by knowing the volume of the garage you could calculate calorie consumption too or would that be too complex using air temperature instead of water temperature? Maybe flood the garage.
  • Pross
    Finally managed to track down a new groupset (plus a new set up wheels and tyres) and got it reserved whilst awaiting my cycle to work voucher. Groupsets were literally going out of stock between the time I put them in my basket and trying to sort out the deposit. Had to go for a 175mm chainset in the end but can't see 2.5mm making much difference, maybe they'll have more stock by time my voucher comes through.
  • elbowloh

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,671
    'Hardline Centrist'
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pinno
    Pross said:

Finally managed to track down a new groupset (plus a new set up wheels and tyres) and got it reserved whilst awaiting my cycle to work voucher. Groupsets were literally going out of stock between the time I put them in my basket and trying to sort out the deposit. Had to go for a 175mm chainset in the end but can't see 2.5mm making much difference, maybe they'll have more stock by time my voucher comes through.

People don't half put too much emphasis on the slightest thing.
    Been on 175's for over 30 years bar a break when I bought a compact chainset for the Etape Caledonia (didn't need it in the end) which was 172.5, though there was a subtle difference in my cadence, I didn't really feel any benefit.
    You're tall too IIRC (well, above average), so you might prefer the over you 172.5's(?).
  • pinno
  • bompington
    pinno said:
    Coruisk is one of my favourite places in the world, and Macaskill is a legend.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    edited January 2021

pinno said:
    Coruisk is one of my favourite places in the world, ...
    In the right conditions, I dare say so. #notmyexperience.
    I got the willies just watching that! 🤣

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • bompington
    Oh, I've been there in not the right conditions. Like the whole coire is one big waterfall.
    Crossing the river that flows from the loch to the sea, in spate, while carrying a very heavy rucksack, on my own late in the evening, was possibly one of the stupidest things I have ever done.
  • pblakeney

Oh, I've been there in not the right conditions. Like the whole coire is one big waterfall.
    Crossing the river that flows from the loch to the sea, in spate, while carrying a very heavy rucksack, on my own late in the evening, was possibly one of the stupidest things I have ever done.

Yup! The path that we walked in on was a river in full spate when leaving.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • piker2
    piker2 Posts: 50
    pinno said:
    That did not cheer me up at all .Just watching frightened me. I do not know whether I admire the guy or I think he must be a bit short upstairs.
    I just hope that the day he gets it wrong never arrives.
  • briantrumpet
    piker2 said:

pinno said:
    That did not cheer me up at all .Just watching frightened me. I do not know whether I admire the guy or I think he must be a bit short upstairs.

I can't watch stuff like that without feeling queasy. There's a 'balcon' path near my French gaff which I wouldn't even dream of walking along, yet people ride bikes along it. Yikes.

• Pross
    pinno said:

Pross said:

People don't half put too much emphasis on the slightest thing.
    Been on 175's for over 30 years bar a break when I bought a compact chainset for the Etape Caledonia (didn't need it in the end) which was 172.5, though there was a subtle difference in my cadence, I didn't really feel any benefit.
    You're tall too IIRC (well, above average), so you might prefer the over you 172.5's(?).
    Yeah, I've used 175mm previously (I used to have a 14cm stem along with an already long top tube too). I read several articles about crank length and that shorter is better as it allows you to open your hips blah, blah, blah and I can see it might make a difference changing to 165mm or something but don't see changing by 2.5mm being an issues especially when I've hardly ridden a bike in the last couple of years anyway. It's amazing the minor issues they manage to turn into magazine articles these days.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    piker2 said:

pinno said:
    I was really enjoying the ride skills and scenery. Less obvious but equally impressive are the drone operator's mad skills. Then I had a "holy cr@p"/fully body clench moment when they switch to the helmet cam. Still cheered me, though. And love the Arcade Fire sound track.
  • bompington
    One for the anti-nostalgia thread perhaps - the quality of adventure sport filming these days. Drones have obviously got a lot to do with it, but the skill and creativity is frequently breathtaking.
  • pinno
    edited January 2021
    piker2 said:

He did get it wrong - just before filming 'Way home' but he still went ahead with it.

Martyn Ashton however...

• pblakeney
    pinno said:

piker2 said:

He did get it wrong - just before filming 'Way home' but he still went ahead with it.

Martyn Ashton however...

There are usually outakes at the end of the video where it did go wrong.
    Not this time, thankfully.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    pinno said:

piker2 said:

Martyn Ashton however...

I guess people doing this sort of stuff are aware of risks, but the longer they go on without dying means they take bigger risks... they might get away with it, but if it goes wrong, it's going to go wrong bigly.
  • piker2
    piker2 Posts: 50
    pinno said:

piker2 said:

Martyn Ashton however...

Martyn was very much on my mind when I posted.
  • elbowloh
    edited January 2021
    With me contemplating a trailer for the sprogs, this one comes to mind

https://youtu.be/jj0CmnxuTaQ
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk