Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,663
    Unintentionally funny headline.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    Just discovered the series of The Play That Goes Wrong. It's the most I've laughed since watching Avenue Q.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,906
    Pross said:

Just discovered the series of The Play That Goes Wrong. It's the most I've laughed since watching Avenue Q.

It had better be good - I've just ordered it, as some laughs would be good medicine right now... certainly gets good reviews, and sounds like the sort of thing that might lift the spirit.
  • Pross

Pross said:

It had better be good - I've just ordered it, as some laughs would be good medicine right now... certainly gets good reviews, and sounds like the sort of thing that might lift the spirit.
    The whole series is on iPlayer. There was a new one (I think) on tonight doing The Nativity so after that I started watching the series that started last Christmas.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,344

Pross said:

What's the matter with your elbow?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • briantrumpet
    pinno said:

Pross said:

What's the matter with your elbow?

It's my brain and my foot...
  • Another sanctimonious hypocrite who lectures us daily that we should follow the rules gets caught not following the rules :smile:

More evidence that mask wearing is for theatre and not for public safety
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

Pross said:

The whole series is on iPlayer. There was a new one (I think) on tonight doing The Nativity so after that I started watching the series that started last Christmas.

Three 'episodes' in: first one (Christmas) I thought was ABS (a bit sh*t), apart from the song that goes too high, second one (codebreaker) better and fairly funny, third one (Trial) very funny and cleverly done, especially the repeated scenes with half sets and changing props... some proper lol moments.
  • Pross

Pross said:

Pross said:

Three 'episodes' in: first one (Christmas) I thought was ABS (a bit sh*t), apart from the song that goes too high, second one (codebreaker) better and fairly funny, third one (Trial) very funny and cleverly done, especially the repeated scenes with half sets and changing props... some proper lol moments.
    I've seen those plus one more so far along with the Nativity from this year which was the first I saw. I'd agree the trial was the best so far. My daughter had to cover the Peter Pan full length version that she says is very funny.

On the subject of the song getting higher, an old colleague of mine used to play for his local am dram performances. They had the stereotype bloke who was the lead in everything and loved himself so the one year they did exactly that, upping the key by a semi-tone on each verse. It had mixed results with most of the village finding it very funny but a few of the luvvies refusing to speak to the band again. It sounded like the plot of an episode of Midsomer Murders.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,686
    While out on my graveller today, coming the other way was a family group of cyclists. At the rear were dad then mum but leading the way plus with a kiddie trailer with 2 little ones in it was a lad who looked about 9-10yo. Going for it as well he was. Good job there.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    orraloon said:

While out on my graveller today, coming the other way was a family group of cyclists. At the rear were dad then mum but leading the way plus with a kiddie trailer with 2 little ones in it was a lad who looked about 9-10yo. Going for it as well he was. Good job there.

While going through the Alps fully supported I had nothing but admiration for the family of 4 we kept passing who were cycle touring/camping fully loaded. The youngest of the daughters was 8 and she was going up all the major climbs with a smile on her face and an out of the saddle sprint as I passed. 😀😎🚴🤜🤛
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet

We'd be better off installing water fountains.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

Explains the flooding if all this water isn't being bottled and consumed.

Better add one of these :wink: just in case.
  • Another sanctimonious hypocrite who lectures us daily that we should follow the rules gets caught not following the rules :smile:

More evidence that mask wearing is for theatre and not for public safety

Don't be so harsh on captain sir Tom. He's on a beach, it's ok not to wear a mask.

#heartless
  • Ally and Herring's Twitch of Fun.

I know I'm absolutely in the centre of the micro target audience, but Richard Herring doing a ventriloquist show from his loft has made me laugh more than anything else this year.
  • Pross

I thought the market would have died a year or two back when everyone ditched plastic to save the planet and started taking a Chilly's bottle everywhere. I suspect the water fountain is dead for the time being!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,320
    Pross said:

I thought the market would have died a year or two back when everyone ditched plastic to save the planet and started taking a Chilly's bottle everywhere. I suspect the water fountain is dead for the time being!
    I hoped so too but unfortunately people are idiots. A few years ago I read that the latest trendy bottled water came from Bali. So tossers are paying a premium price for stuff that literally falls out of the sky to be bottled and shipped half way round the world.
  • briantrumpet

Pross said:

I hoped so too but unfortunately people are idiots. A few years ago I read that the latest trendy bottled water came from Bali. So tossers are paying a premium price for stuff that literally falls out of the sky to be bottled and shipped half way round the world.

And the inescapable thing about bottled water, by definition, is the bottles... whether they are plastic or glass, it's a ridiculous waste of precious resources and energy, given that every house & business will have the stuff available from multiple taps, pretty much for free.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,320

Pross said:

And the inescapable thing about bottled water, by definition, is the bottles... whether they are plastic or glass, it's a ridiculous waste of precious resources and energy, given that every house & business will have the stuff available from multiple taps, pretty much for free.
    I believe standards for tap water are higher than for bottled as well
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,149

I believe standards for tap water are higher than for bottled as well

That's what I've been told too - tap water has to meet DWI requirements whereas bottled water is classed as a food product with less stringent standards.
    Plastic bottled water has a best before date on it not because the water goes off, but because beyond that date they can't guarantee that too much of the plastic bottle hasn't dissolved into the water (apparently).
    Pross said:

They were planning on installing a couple in the city centre at work but it keeps getting put back: the effort/people needed to get it done keep getting directed to other (genuinely) more important things.
  • briantrumpet
    It does amuse me that both Post-It Notes and Blu Tack were accidents, or rather were making use of stuff that went wrong: Post-It Notes were invented to make us of a glue that was supposed to be super-strong (but wasn't), and Blu Tack was supposed to be a sealant, made using chalk powder, rubber and oil, but didn't work as envisaged.

AKA "How to justify that research budget you just used up for a useless product"...
  • Pross
    Not having to hear Auld Land Syne on New Year's Eve, even better not having someone drag you onto a dance floor to hold hands with a bunch of pissed strangers singing it. Another Covid benefit.
  • The KLF making their tunes available on Spotify.

Not a massive fan of their music, but they were true visionaries and their antics are legendary.
  • https://youtu.be/XP5oHL3zBDg

As mental now as it was when it was first released. What a concept. What a p1ss take.

The KLF are what makes Britain great.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382

https://youtu.be/XP5oHL3zBDg

As mental now as it was when it was first released. What a concept. What a p1ss take.

The KLF are what makes Britain great.

I do not know what that was all about but it certainly put a smile on my face.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,686
    Good call. Got Solid State Logik 1 playing on Spotify while I do the meal prep. 👍
    Takes me back...
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,407

Sunrises. Let's hope that today's heralds a slightly less sh!t year. Happy New Year.

Beautiful pic Brian
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי