Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,363
    Just received my new bash hat and had an email from Wiggle titled things people bought with their bash hat. Opened the email and the first two items were turbo trainers, might make more sense if they were rollers :D
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,777
    The LGBT community has been trolling the Proud Boys. So to avoid being teased about their hashtag they changed their name to...

... the Leather Men.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,164
    Zwift subscriptions out of stock at an online retailer...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,847
    It turns out that the dictation function on your iPhone works an absolute treat!

This message was dictated. Who knew.
  • d00d4h
    d00d4h Posts: 67

It turns out that the dictation function on your iPhone works an absolute treat!

Doesn't work that well. "Who knew" is a question, surely?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,782
    d00d4h said:

Could be a statement, maybe Who is a friend of Rick's and already knew the dictation function worked. Who knows (apparently)
  • d00d4h
    d00d4h Posts: 67
    Pross said:

d00d4h said:

Could be a statement, maybe Who is a friend of Rick's and already knew the dictation function worked. Who knows (apparently)
    Perhaps Rick meant Cindy Lou Who. That would make sense.

It’s transitory ;)
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,485
    A slice of cake always puts a smile on my face.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,879
    Getting comfortably numb, then listening to Comfortably Numb.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,082
    I've just discovered that I can get free online access to pretty much any mainstream newspaper using my Devon library card number. Woohoo.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,735
    Stopping, at least for a time, d!cks being pr!cks. Popped out briefly between Giro live and Vuelta catch up to top up the wine stocks, partic as that well known supermarket chain are doing their 25% off 6 or more.

I'm in the vehicle, 'cos wet innit. Plus bottles innit. Driver pr!ck going way over the speed limit closes up and starts to tailgate me. Now I drive a 15 year old L200 pickup tank. Think you're going to scare me? Combination of careful road positioning, adherence to rules of road, drive just under the limit, give way to other traffic, pedestrians, take my time at junctions. Good fun.

I'm surprised the d!ck's head didn't explode in rage. Perhaps it brought forward his heart attack.
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    orraloon said:

Stopping, at least for a time, d!cks being pr!cks. Popped out briefly between Giro live and Vuelta catch up to top up the wine stocks, partic as that well known supermarket chain are doing their 25% off 6 or more.

I'm in the vehicle, 'cos wet innit. Plus bottles innit. Driver pr!ck going way over the speed limit closes up and starts to tailgate me. Now I drive a 15 year old L200 pickup tank. Think you're going to scare me? Combination of careful road positioning, adherence to rules of road, drive just under the limit, give way to other traffic, pedestrians, take my time at junctions. Good fun.

I'm surprised the d!ck's head didn't explode in rage. Perhaps it brought forward his heart attack.

:lol::lol:
    Had one just the same the other night out in the Derbyshire Dales, even started flashing his headlights in his crappy VW Golf.
    I drive a Tesla Model 3 so could pull away from him with ease on the straights, only to bimble round the corners when he caught me up again. I quite enjoyed watching him turn into a seething, gibbering wreck in the glow of my tail-lights. He even gave me a friendly "w*nker" wave as I finally arrived at my destination.
  • orraloon
    E-car drivers like you CB must get this all the time. Another thing that cheered me up, indeed made me laugh today.

Riding through a village, join a busy main road for about 500m. At end of village which has a huge village green / common thing there is a roundabout. Being wary what I do is pull into the entrance to this little rough surface lane just before the roundabout, to check traffic and wait for a gap etc. Safety first innit. Cars parked there usually, esp like today when there is a football match on the green.

Anyway. Pull over and stop. Get bottle for a drink, looking at traffic flow. Then I hear some wheel on gravel noise which made me jump. Look behind. Is not a parked car, driver has reversed a bit and pulled around me. But is an electric car so zero engine noise to alert the unsuspecting. Driver and passenger relaxed about it and we all smiled at each other.

Guess this must happen a lot.

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,164
    Aren't they supposed to have beepers or fake engine noise for that kind of reason?
    Reminds me of when i got "banned" from a shopping centre car park many years ago: the bike racks were on the top deck so I rode up/down the car park ramps which is very dangerous because someone might not hear me coming. Apparently I was supposed to carry my bike up/down the steps 😁
  • pblakeney

Aren't they supposed to have beepers or fake engine noise for that kind of reason?
    Reminds me of when i got "banned" from a shopping centre car park many years ago: the bike racks were on the top deck so I rode up/down the car park ramps which is very dangerous because someone might not hear me coming. Apparently I was supposed to carry my bike up/down the steps 😁

I watched a demo BMW i8 drive around Marseille harbour. It was silent.
    Made me very wary on my bike. Don't rely on your ears.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Cargobike
    Yes, EV's do come with bleepers to warn people of their prescence at low speeds. At higher speeds you can still hear the tyre noise. However, it is possible to manually override the system and creep around in "stealth mode".

It doesn't really matter with me, I usually have some punk tunes blaring out of the stereo anyway, a bit of Crass or Conflict (yes, I do get the hypocrisy of that in my £50k car :lol:) so you are aware of my arrival when I'm still 2 miles up the road.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,704
    pblakeney said:

If you listen to music on your bike, this isn't a problem.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

If you listen to music on your bike, this isn't a problem.
    I consider that an additional problem.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,782
    Seeing Paul Harvey, the elderly man with dementia, compose a entire piece of music on the spot from being given 4 random notes. Incredible talent.
  • briantrumpet
    edited October 2020
    Pross said:

Seeing Paul Harvey, the elderly man with dementia, compose a entire piece of music on the spot from being given 4 random notes. Incredible talent.

Yes, agreed - a lovely piece of music, with a satisfying form that any musician would have been pleased to compose, let alone improvise.

If you don't know it, the book 'Musicophilia' by Oliver Sacks is a really interesting read: it uses accounts of his patients suffering from various kinds of brain abnormalities to show how music lurks in the furthest corners of the brain, and is one of the last residual memories in people with even serious dementia.

I expect you've seen this, but I seem to get something in my eye each time I watch it...

https://youtu.be/8HLEr-zP3fc
  • pblakeney said:

This goal. It is not just a goal, it is a catalogue of epic comedic errors. 🤣🤣🤣

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZad5nkMgF4

I don't often think it's appropriate for the striker to look to the sky and thank divine intervention... but fair enough.
  • orraloon
    Got the right number...or did I? 😊

• orraloon
    And another. Those landscapes in northern Spain in La Vuelta stages. Just wow,
  • Cargobike
    Jaffa cakes.
  • orraloon
    Discovering many decades into my life just how simple it us to cook a risotto. Made another tonight, lovely. 3rd in 3 weeks. I've had them eating out but always somehow thought they were complicated to make. Not so, not at all. I will be down that partic road lots more.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,777
    orraloon said:

Discovering many decades into my life just how simple it us to cook a risotto. Made another tonight, lovely. 3rd in 3 weeks. I've had them eating out but always somehow thought they were complicated to make. Not so, not at all. I will be down that partic road lots more.

They are good aren't they.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    After right-wingers getting all upset about virtue signalling by BBC presenters, the wearing of poppies of all colours becoming part of the debate.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/oct/31/remembrance-poppies-drawn-into-bbc-row-over-virtue-signalling

With an interesting view at the end:

"Davie has faced criticism for using the phrase “virtue signalling”, which was first used in an article in the Spectator in 2015. Ironically, the fiercest criticism has come from the Spectator’s own literary editor, Sam Leith, who accused Davie of using “a fatuous culture-wars catchphrase”.

“The term ‘virtue signalling’ is not an argument but a sneer,” wrote Leith. “When you say somebody is ‘virtue signalling’, you’re not bothering to commit yourself to an argument about whether the position they are taking is right or wrong. Rather, you are making a groundless and unfalsifiable presumption about their motive for doing so and using that as the supposed basis to dismiss the whole shebang. It immediately, lazily and arrogantly, frames any assertion of a moral or political principle as an act of narcissism.”
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    edited November 2020
    Just knowing that there are people out there who will spend 175 USD on Abbey Bike Tools chain tool. It has to be a sort of show off thing but who would they show it to and who would be impressed? I might be impressed if you bought a Jag or Rolls and drove it around but what will you do with a 175 USD bike tool? Carry it in your pocket to parties? I would venture to guess that almost 100% of the world's population would think you an idiot for buying this.