Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602
    It's the old man who does Sunday lunch, started back in the late 80s or early 90s when my mum worked on Sundays. Used to get back from my club runs and it would be there waiting for me. Perfectly good, basic Sunday roast but the other day was more high level with honey roasted carrots, superb crispy roast potatoes. Only problem was, like most good cooks I've encountered, he used every pot and pan available and left the kitchen in a right mess!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,806
    Fair deal! The rule in our house is whoever does the cooking is relieved of tidying and cleaning duties. You are only allowed to cook if you can do a good job of it.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,374
    pblakeney said:

Fair deal! The rule in our house is whoever does the cooking is relieved of tidying and cleaning duties. You are only allowed to cook if you can do a good job of it.

Tell that to my OH.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    pinno said:

pblakeney said:

Tell that to my OH.
    You have to make your own deals based on respective skills. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
    pblakeney said:

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

Tell that to my OH.
    You have to make your own deals based on respective skills. 😉
    To be fair, my OH is busiest in the morning - getting the girls up, feeding them etc, where I get busy at the other end of the day doing the cooking and cleaning up.
    So there's a balance.
  • pblakeney
    Northern luvvies getting all upset when someone states the bleeding obvious.
    They prefer football to ballet up north shocker! 🤣

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lancashire-54908862
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,696
    Is that Deutsche Bank trying to move on aka reposition the meejah perspective from backing the Orange Twunt?
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Fookin ell.

I thought I was remunerated to provide a service to my employer and paid taxes accordingly.
    Now I’m supposed to feel I’m somehow failing to contribute to society by not polluting or contributing to congestion.

You’re right it’s not popular. Should people who are lucky enough to work close to home also pay more tax and those who commute really long distances pay less?

What else, a tax on homemade sandwiches?
  • pblakeney
    morstar said:

Fookin ell.

I thought I was remunerated to provide a service to my employer and paid taxes accordingly.
    Now I’m supposed to feel I’m somehow failing to contribute to society by not polluting or contributing to congestion.

You’re right it’s not popular. Should people who are lucky enough to work close to home also pay more tax and those who commute really long distances pay less?

What else, a tax on homemade sandwiches?
    I guess that means any claims from the government on the grounds of being green are shot to hell.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,573
    Maybe there should be an extra premium for people who work from behind their sofa?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

Maybe there should be an extra premium for people who work from behind their sofa?
    It would make better sense to tax them extra if they worked whilst sat on the sofa.
  • nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439
    It's not trivial but we're going to the Euros!
  • pblakeney
    edited November 2020
    nickice said:

It's not trivial but we're going to the Euros!

Not travelling very far. Two games at Hampden and one at Wembley.
    Not going far in the tournament either. 🤣🤣🤣

Veronese68 wrote:
  • Lifetime pub ban for Warrington MP who backed 10pm curfew

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-54921962

• pinno
    ...but Warrington is a hole.
  • Got round to watching Dave Chappelle's SNL opener from last week. Particularly enjoyed the dig at Reagan.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,696
    pinno said:

...but Warrington is a hole.

Jings, years and years ago, in my first post university job I went for an interview for a post in similar organisation based in Warrington. I was primed by a then colleague who told me "well now, if the Pennines are the backbone of England then Warrington is the ar5e". I was neither offered or wanted the job.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    The Abs getting beat at home by the Pumas.

And it's always good to see the Welsh getting a drubbing. ;)
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,573

The Abs getting beat at home by the Pumas.

And it's always good to see the Welsh getting a drubbing. ;)

You're probably going to enjoy watching Scotland in Euro 2020(1) Bally :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    Very trivial:

My 8 year old daughter was introduced by me, to Tetris.
    Initially, it didn't grab her but when I started putting high scored on the list, the competitive spirit kicked in.

I have kept a spread sheet and slowly her averages crept up and she just improved by the day. I did a pb of 165k and then one night I watched her (being careful not to point her towards her score), hit 245,000.
    245013 to be precise. You can imagine my jaw dropped. Happy for her to hit a high score like that - gob smacked in fact.

The other side of me was '...i'm worse than my 8 year old' and she has every right to lord it over me - which she did. In style. I was vexed..
    Last night, I restored faith in myself and scored 2 pb's - first @ 200268. Delighted to beat the 200k barrier but a little miffed at not getting near the 245k.
    But, in the wee hours, I managed to smash it with 278897.

I can't hold her off for long. I reckon she'll hit 300k before me.
  • pblakeney
    edited November 2020
    The king is dead. Long live the king/queen. 😉
    It is progression and evolution. Be proud for playing your part.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
    8 years old?! If I hit 300k before her. I'm going to quit.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602
    But do you end up with the music stuck in your head? I've always been rubbish at it but the wife used to play all the time and that bloody music after a while would destroy me.
  • pinno
    Pross said:

But do you end up with the music stuck in your head? I've always been rubbish at it but the wife used to play all the time and that bloody music after a while would destroy me.

Oh I hate it. I switch it off.
  • pblakeney
    pinno said:

Just giving the positives to be cheery about. Be miserable if you wish. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
    pblakeney said:

pinno said:

Just giving the positives to be cheery about. Be miserable if you wish. 😉
    I was being cheery in a sort of your MiL driving off a cliff in your own Ferrari sort of way.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    pinno said:

Very trivial:

My 8 year old daughter was introduced by me, to Tetris.
    Initially, it didn't grab her but when I started putting high scored on the list, the competitive spirit kicked in.

I have kept a spread sheet and slowly her averages crept up and she just improved by the day. I did a pb of 165k and then one night I watched her (being careful not to point her towards her score), hit 245,000.
    245013 to be precise. You can imagine my jaw dropped. Happy for her to hit a high score like that - gob smacked in fact.

The other side of me was '...i'm worse than my 8 year old' and she has every right to lord it over me - which she did. In style. I was vexed..
    Last night, I restored faith in myself and scored 2 pb's - first @ 200268. Delighted to beat the 200k barrier but a little miffed at not getting near the 245k.
    But, in the wee hours, I managed to smash it with 278897.

I can't hold her off for long. I reckon she'll hit 300k before me.

Used to play my eldest at Chess when he was a similar age.
    I’m not any good but win some games when playing with friends so not totally clueless.
    Never really eased up on him or gifted him any wins but would often challenge his thinking before he made certain moves.
    Didn’t take him long to get his first win and he eventually couldn’t get anybody at school to play him.
    Amazing to see young minds and skills develop at pace.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,155
    Kayne threatening to leave America because he lost in the election. I'm not sure if he's serious or just trolling Trump.

Either way it's amusing.