Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• Pross said:

Doing my post run stretches against the back of my car last night and some guy went past on an electric scooter, looked at me and turned around to give me a hand thinking I was pushing the car.

I'm also getting pleasure out of a new game I've invented - guess who 'liked' Coopster's posts (I'm very good at it).

That's a curious one, because you can't "like" your own posts.

Electric scooters have just been banned again in Coventry because some have been used on a pavement. Since this could hypothetically result in some sort of catastrophe, the local authority have clearly decided that cars are safer.
    Most of the city centre is pedestrianised so not sure what they were expecting to be honest.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

Pross said:

Doing my post run stretches against the back of my car last night and some guy went past on an electric scooter, looked at me and turned around to give me a hand thinking I was pushing the car.

I'm also getting pleasure out of a new game I've invented - guess who 'liked' Coopster's posts (I'm very good at it).

That's a curious one, because you can't "like" your own posts.

Electric scooters have just been banned again in Coventry because some have been used on a pavement. Since this could hypothetically result in some sort of catastrophe, the local authority have clearly decided that cars are safer.
    At least no-one ever drives cars on the pavement . Oh, hang on...

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,366
    I jotted a few times between on regular routes when I was in my teens. I recently timed one of these routes (within a bigger ride) to see how it compares. I know I kept the notebook but can I find the bloody thing?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Limited production water bottles?????? Is this really a claim that actually sells bottles? And to whom? I really want to meet the person who says "Wow, limited production water bottles, gotta get me a few."
  • Polymorph.

I've just effected a rather elegant if unsubtle solution to my broken downtube gear cable bracket using it. It's so lovely to work with, as once you've got it in its pliable state in boiling water, you can squidge it into any shape you like, and don't have to rush, and it sets into a nylon-type hardness. And if you get it wrong, you can remould it by heating it again, as many times as you like. Genius.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    Experiencing a full on cliche. Parked up for work in a little Cotswold village, an old codger pulls in behind me in a 4x4 blocking someone's drive, goes into the village store (dropping his money on the way) with no mask and emerged a minute later with his copy of the Mail. Made me chuckle.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946

Polymorph.

I've just effected a rather elegant if unsubtle solution to my broken downtube gear cable bracket using it. It's so lovely to work with, as once you've got it in its pliable state in boiling water, you can squidge it into any shape you like, and don't have to rush, and it sets into a nylon-type hardness. And if you get it wrong, you can remould it by heating it again, as many times as you like. Genius.

Used to use it at work for making moulds to cast silicone rubber. Lovely stuff.

The older I get, the better I was.

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,154
    capt_slog said:

Polymorph.

Used to use it at work for making moulds to cast silicone rubber. Lovely stuff.
    I thought it was the Red Dwarf kind.
  • peeling the lid off of a tin of corned beef with the provided key........always makes me smile.
  • bompington
    The thought that anyone in the 21st century still eats corned beef :)
  • pinno
    Worse! I've seen adverts for Spam on the telly.
  • bompington
    pinno said:

Worse! I've seen adverts for Spam on the telly.

Strangely enough, I get dozens of spam adverts a day...
  • The thought that anyone in the 21st century still eats corned beef :)

I live 'up north'
  • Not reading Coopster's posts.
  • bompington

The thought that anyone in the 21st century still eats corned beef :)

I live 'up north'
    That place 2-4 hours drive south of here you mean?
  • capt_slog
    I walked out of the front door this morning and somehow the rainy day smells just like the countryside, (which where I live most certainly is not).

You know that sort of fresh smell, vegetation with a hint of wood smoke of someone's fire? that smell. Lovely.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699
    capt_slog said:

I walked out of the front door this morning and somehow the rainy day smells just like the countryside, (which where I live most certainly is not).

You know that sort of fresh smell, vegetation with a hint of wood smoke of someone's fire? that smell. Lovely.

capt_slog said:

Petrichor.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • capt_slog
    no, not petrichor. that's the pre-rain smell.

• pinno
    Technically speaking:

'a pleasant smell that frequently accompanies the first rain after a long period of warm, dry weather'.
  • capt_slog
    pinno said:

Technically speaking:

'a pleasant smell that frequently accompanies the first rain after a long period of warm, dry weather'.

Indeed. I had looked it up but wasn't going bother editing what i'd written first time.

I can often smell it before it rains, as it's carried on the wind in front of rain. When the rain actually starts, I find it usually goes fairly quickly

• pinno
    capt_slog said:

pinno said:

Technically speaking:

Indeed. I had looked it up but wasn't going bother editing what i'd written first time.

I can often smell it before it rains, as it's carried on the wind in front of rain. When the rain actually starts, I find it usually goes fairly quickly
    Having lived in Kenya, when a long dry period is broken by rain, the smell is strong.
    I sometimes get it here and get funny looks when I smell the rain coming and say 'it's going to rain'... But then it does and it shuts them up.
  • Reading the auto-translated international feedback on chinese website about a cheap cycle pump
    It said:
    Additional Feedback: I change my mind, the pump is full of suck, with the down wheel do not pump, as the evil parcel came, after a while I went to work, I have a wheel, tried to pump, does not rock at all, tried the pump from the Fix Price pumped without problems. Not a pump, but a toy.

Well it made me chuckle 🤣
  • bompington
    pinno said:

capt_slog said:

pinno said:

Technically speaking:

Having lived in Kenya, when a long dry period is broken by rain, the smell is strong.
    I sometimes get it here and get funny looks when I smell the rain coming and say 'it's going to rain'... But then it does and it shuts them up.
    You live in the west of Scotland, don't you? A statement of "it's going to rain" is guaranteed to be true more or less all the time....
  • pinno

pinno said:

capt_slog said:

pinno said:

Technically speaking:

You live in the west of Scotland, don't you? A statement of "it's going to rain" is guaranteed to be true more or less all the time....
    That is true.

• pinno said:

pinno said:

capt_slog said:

pinno said:

Technically speaking:

That is true.

If you don't know it, this might amuse you: https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/climate/maps-and-data/uk-actual-and-anomaly-maps
  • bompington

pinno said:

pinno said:

capt_slog said:

pinno said:

Technically speaking:

That is true.

If you don't know it, this might amuse you: https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/climate/maps-and-data/uk-actual-and-anomaly-maps
    One of my bookmarks. Always fascinating for weather geeks.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    Working this pm in a client's garden. Young squirrel gets close on the ground, nibbling on fallen acorns. Doesn't seem bothered by my presence, even if I move. Watch it for a while, I'm standing behind a garden waste wheelie bin. Squirrel comes right up to the bin, looks at it, tries to climb it and fails of course. Then comes round the back and sits on my boot. Looks up at me. Then climbs up my leg (longs on for the first time since spring) as far as the knee before deciding nah, not a sound plan. Climbs back down, then wanders off unfussed. Lovely. Squirrels eh? Tree rats with better PR.
  • bompington
    This is how Twitter's address appears on the low res screen of my cheapy phone:

Seems appropriate :)
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    This goal. It is not just a goal, it is a catalogue of epic comedic errors. 🤣🤣🤣

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZad5nkMgF4
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Reading about the Intermediate axis theory and seeing it happen on outer-space.
    Then proving it with my mobile :D