Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,537
    rjsterry said:

pangolin said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

It’s the polite way of referring to a PA.

I don't get the point of them. You can't ask them to do trivial menial stuff to free up your time, and for more complicated things it is often easier and more successful to do yourself.

I know this doesn't apply to some of the really good ones.

When your job involves lots of meetings, having a PA arrange them for you (and cancel and rearrange) it's a gamechanger - having gone from a job without one, to one with. It's also really important for senior people to have a good PA, so you can get time in their diaries.

Then when booking travel, hotels, sorting taxis, general admin, filing expenses etc. It adds up - especially if you're in a job where your time is billed out by the hour.

Sure I do a lot of this admin myself from time to time, but even a mediocre one should be helpful. As I learn to use our EA more effectively I can also see the benefit of a good virtual PA, as well.
    I just don't know anyone who doesn't prefer to manage their own diaries. I know which meetings I can skip, which may drag on and which might be shorter. Also, Rick's experience shows how he may save time booking things 9 times out of 10, then he loses loads of time.

I'm all for a PA who makes rounds of tea, collects dry cleaning, buys birthday cards, organises a load of office stuff, buys lunch etc. Things that actually save time. But that's all considered demeaning.

These shouldn't be taking up working hours in the first place. Unless you are going to the well to draw water how much time can you possibly save by having someone else make the teas?

Also there's nothing demeaning about making tea.
    I don't agree,and I think you out of touch. Nearly everyone gets some non-work stuff done during working hours.

Cake Stop posts, for instance.
    See my point about making up time. Also the work is deadline driven. A couple of minutes here and there is not going to make any difference and we don't all have stopwatches but we do have to be fairly accurate about our time keeping.
    Careful, before you know it those odd minutes add up to 26 thousand posts.

I dread to think how much strictly non work time you could find in our office, despite it also being mainly billable and deadline driven.
    Over...14 years 😱. Like I said, we don't all have stopwatches but for anything that is more than a tea break and unrelated to work, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people to make up the time and generally they do. I'm aware other businesses operate differently, but I still think asking staff to do your domestic chores is taking the piss.
    This is now a mainstream view, so there are now very few PAs.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,974
    webboo said:

Mrs W works for a small engineering company ...

People who have never worked for a small company (total of 10 people in my case) will never appreciate the huge difference in working practices.
    Plus, working as a self employed contractor one man band you obviously do absolutely everything regarding that company on the side.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,098

rjsterry said:

pangolin said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

I don't get the point of them. You can't ask them to do trivial menial stuff to free up your time, and for more complicated things it is often easier and more successful to do yourself.

When your job involves lots of meetings, having a PA arrange them for you (and cancel and rearrange) it's a gamechanger - having gone from a job without one, to one with. It's also really important for senior people to have a good PA, so you can get time in their diaries.

Then when booking travel, hotels, sorting taxis, general admin, filing expenses etc. It adds up - especially if you're in a job where your time is billed out by the hour.

Sure I do a lot of this admin myself from time to time, but even a mediocre one should be helpful. As I learn to use our EA more effectively I can also see the benefit of a good virtual PA, as well.
    I just don't know anyone who doesn't prefer to manage their own diaries. I know which meetings I can skip, which may drag on and which might be shorter. Also, Rick's experience shows how he may save time booking things 9 times out of 10, then he loses loads of time.

I'm all for a PA who makes rounds of tea, collects dry cleaning, buys birthday cards, organises a load of office stuff, buys lunch etc. Things that actually save time. But that's all considered demeaning.

These shouldn't be taking up working hours in the first place. Unless you are going to the well to draw water how much time can you possibly save by having someone else make the teas?

I don't agree,and I think you out of touch. Nearly everyone gets some non-work stuff done during working hours.

See my point about making up time. Also the work is deadline driven. A couple of minutes here and there is not going to make any difference and we don't all have stopwatches but we do have to be fairly accurate about our time keeping.

I dread to think how much strictly non work time you could find in our office, despite it also being mainly billable and deadline driven.
    Over...14 years 😱. Like I said, we don't all have stopwatches but for anything that is more than a tea break and unrelated to work, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people to make up the time and generally they do. I'm aware other businesses operate differently, but I still think asking staff to do your domestic chores is taking the piss.
    If someone wants to employ a butler that's fine I just think expecting their employer to provide that service is a bit much.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

pangolin said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

If someone wants to employ a butler that's fine I just think expecting their employer to provide that service is a bit much.
    Some employers provide mattresses.
  • rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

pangolin said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Jesus wept, I would run a thousand miles from any employer that did that. Just how bad are they at managing workload?
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • May be a mattress manufacturing company...
  • TheBigBean
    Others have GPs available for staff. Better than them taking time off. They all need to collect their own dry cleaning though.
  • TheBigBean

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

pangolin said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Jesus wept, I would run a thousand miles from any employer that did that. Just how bad are they at managing workload?
    I don't mind it so much if there are peaks and troughs, but some people seem to work in perpetual peaks which would be too much for me. I've never used a mattress, but have worked from my own bed many times.

• Some employers provide mattresses.

Like that Romanian bloke on last week's the MET programme?

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    edited November 2023
    After a long illness, a PA volunteered with the voluntary organisation that I ran.
    She would ask me if I wanted such and such doing (often in remarkable anticipation of need). I really did not know whether to expect her to do some of the things she offered to do and I would simply ask her if she was happy to do 'that' and she always was. This did not demean nor demote her in any way because the sum total of the smaller things needing doing, would often weigh heavy. And all thoroughly appreciated her input. From arranging and reminding former drug addicts/alcoholics regarding appointments for rehab or the DWP to insurance to lunch arrangements etc etc. She had the respect of everybody. It allowed me to get on with the other things without impedance.
    Unfortunately for us, she got a job at a local solicitors but during her short stint with us, she was like the oil in the cogs. We really missed her.

Louis came to us whilst I was working on a building site in Leicester. He had just left the army and had no work. The only job he was offered was the toilet clean up. It was a mess. It was filthy and disgusting. X number of workers plus contractors never bothering to clean them over 7 months.
    The initial thoughts of the crew was 'who would want a job like that?'
    Louis cleaned the toilets and they were spotless. It took about 10 days. He was given a job.

Louis gained everybody's respect.

Even though I was the boss, I would get stuck in to some pretty awful jobs (considering we recycled oil and cans). I never had dissent, I never had to raise my voice and staff would fall in to line and no job was too menial nor beneath them as I showed them it wasn't about the task, it was about the outcome. I wouldn't ask to do a job that I wouldn't do myself.

Bill Shankly: "If I had a job to do, even if it was scrubbing the floor, I wanted mine to be cleaner than yours. If everyone thinks along these lines and does the small jobs to the best of their ability, that’s honesty. Then the world would be better.”

Is it our perception of what can be termed as 'menial' or demeaning? If so, surely that is within the current culture from empire flagellation to being offended on someone else's behalf. It's a bad culture and I do not think it is healthy.
    Surely it is down to the individual and what is being asked of them.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,540

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

pangolin said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

I don't mind it so much if there are peaks and troughs, but some people seem to work in perpetual peaks which would be too much for me. I've never used a mattress, but have worked from my own bed many times.

Perhaps small tents would be a good idea, now they aren't going to be illegal.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,161
    pinno said:

Louis came to us whilst I was working on a building site in Leicester. He had just left the army and had no work. The only job he was offered was the toilet clean up. It was a mess. It was filthy and disgusting. X number of workers plus contractors never bothering to clean them over 7 months.
    Louis cleaned the toilets and they were spotless. It took about 10 days. He was given a job.

We received a CV and hand written letter from a lad looking for a job back in the early 2000s. He didn't have any experience in our type of work but needed a new job as Crohns meant he could no longer do the job he already had. We were at a stage where we didn't really need anyone but were getting to a stage where an extra pair of hands would be helpful and decided to give him a try on the basis that he was so keen and had taken the time to send a proper written letter. He was brilliant, he would get his 'proper' work done faster than we could give it to him but whenever he had a lull would go around asking everyone if there was anything he could do and there was nothing he felt beneath him. He was a real contrast to the other technician we already had who was lazy and would do the bare minimum or less. Unfortunately we lost him to a motorcycle accident where he died after colliding with his twin brother. Absolutely devistating for everyone.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,098
    pinno said:

After a long illness, a PA volunteered with the voluntary organisation that I ran.
    She would ask me if I wanted such and such doing (often in remarkable anticipation of need). I really did not know whether to expect her to do some of the things she offered to do and I would simply ask her if she was happy to do 'that' and she always was. This did not demean nor demote her in any way because the sum total of the smaller things needing doing, would often weigh heavy. And all thoroughly appreciated her input. From arranging and reminding former drug addicts/alcoholics regarding appointments for rehab or the DWP to insurance to lunch arrangements etc etc. She had the respect of everybody. It allowed me to get on with the other things without impedance.
    Unfortunately for us, she got a job at a local solicitors but during her short stint with us, she was like the oil in the cogs. We really missed her.

Even though I was the boss, I would get stuck in to some pretty awful jobs (considering we recycled oil and cans). I never had dissent, I never had to raise my voice and staff would fall in to line and no job was too menial nor beneath them as I showed them it wasn't about the task, it was about the outcome. I wouldn't ask to do a job that I wouldn't do myself.

Bill Shankly: "If I had a job to do, even if it was scrubbing the floor, I wanted mine to be cleaner than yours. If everyone thinks along these lines and does the small jobs to the best of their ability, that’s honesty. Then the world would be better.”

Is it our perception of what can be termed as 'menial' or demeaning? If so, surely that is within the current culture from empire flagellation to being offended on someone else's behalf. It's a bad culture and I do not think it is healthy.

This.

It's not a new thing. Some jobs have (wrongly) always been looked at as of lesser value. That's a different thing from having good support staff so that the specialists can spend as much time doing the fee-earning specialist stuff as possible.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Most new-CEOs I meet usually talk about their first day in the office being about doing the washing up in the staff sink.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,974
    rjsterry said:

pinno said:

This.

It's not a new thing. Some jobs have (wrongly) always been looked at as of lesser value. That's a different thing from having good support staff so that the specialists can spend as much time doing the fee-earning specialist stuff as possible.
    Wasn't it amazing those jobs suddenly became essential during Covid?
    Isn't it even more amazing how quickly that was forgotten?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited November 2023
    I don’t think anyone looks down on cleaners etc. We have all cleaned, we know what it’s like.

Its more that most people can do menial work so you’re never gonna have to pay people much to do it.
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2023
    More annoyingly, how leaden footed are Parisian cabbies, jfc

You don’t have to floor the accelerator only to immediately slam on the brakes *every* time
  • pinno

More annoyingly, how leaden footed are Parisian cabbies, jfc

You don’t have to floor the accelerator only to immediately slam on the brakes *every* time

Pour quois pas?!
  • My most worrying French taxi journey was from the airport into the centre of Lyon. Not only was he driving like he was trying to make the front row of the grid in Q3, at one point he decided to steer with his knees while taking snaps of the sunset with his phone...

Never been so relieved to get out of a taxi in my life
  • pinno
    Munsford0 said:

My most worrying French taxi journey was from the airport into the centre of Lyon. Not only was he driving like he was trying to make the front row of the grid in Q3, at one point he decided to steer with his knees while taking snaps of the sunset with his phone...

1987. 3.30am Sunday morning going up the Champs-Élysées at 90kph + on the cobbles, all windows open (it was July), was quite an experience.
  • briantrumpet
    Munsford0 said:

My most worrying French taxi journey was from the airport into the centre of Lyon. Not only was he driving like he was trying to make the front row of the grid in Q3, at one point he decided to steer with his knees while taking snaps of the sunset with his phone...

I once shared a lift with a friend from Paris to Valence with a French driver (found via an SNCF car-share service during an SNCF strike) who spent a significant amount of time talking animatedly on his not-hands-free mobile, and doing 130km/h with neither his hands or his knees on the steering wheel from time to time. That was a very long six hours.
  • rick_chasey
    Their approach to roundabouts is really remarkable.
  • pinno

They changed the rules on roundabouts so it's now a bit more like the British system, whereas before, if you were going around the roundabout, you had to let them in!
    Now, you often see "Vouz n'avez pas priorité" on signs as you approach a roundabout. That's 'our' system and what we are used to.
    However, if there is a blue sign, you have to give way to the right and let people on. So it's not universal.
  • briantrumpet
    pinno said:

They changed the rules on roundabouts so it's now a bit more like the British system, whereas before, if you were going around the roundabout, you had to let them in!
    Now, you often see "Vouz n'avez pas priorité" on signs as you approach a roundabout. That's 'our' system and what we are used to.
    However, if there is a blue sign, you have to give way to the right and let people on. So it's not universal.

I've not yet come across a PaD roundabout in France.
  • Pross
    Jumped in the car to go to Parkrun this morning only to discover I had a flat battery. Could have been worse as we are heading to Southampton later to go on our cruise so at least I’ve got a chance to put a new one on. Didn’t give me time to try recharging though and if I had it would probably die again after 2 weeks in a car park.
  • Should have cycled to parkrun
  • Pross

Should have cycled to parkrun

It’s in Newport, I wouldn’t have had a bike to get home!
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,701
    BT have entirely cocked up my house move.

Wrong date, no 4G backup hub. Also previous owner took the transformer for the box on the wall, and it took me fully 5 mins to ,(hopefully) successfully explain what that was, using words like power, blinking lights and little white box on the wall.

When he finally figured out that I was talking about I learn that BT don't have them and we need to book an engineer. But we can't book an engineer because they processed the date of my move incorrectly so can only send one to Scotland at the moment.
  • rick_chasey
    Where ya moving to FA?
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,701
    Well, according to me. I've moved. According to BT, I'm moving on Monday.

Cornwall.