Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,660
    edited October 2023

It’d be nice if I lived somewhere where people wouldn’t steal the milk the milkman has delivered to my house.

Alas

I'm assuming delivery people don't leave parcels in plain sight on doorsteps as they do round here... I passed one house with four large Amazon packages left leaning against the front door just five yards from the road yesterday.
    Part of the problem is it is delivered around 11-12pm the night before.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,614
    Biggest problem round here is dozy delivery drivers leaving stuff outside the front door when it's raining or due to rain.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    orraloon said:

Having 'Greatest Hits' radio playing away in background... the number and frequency of gambling related adverts! I guess they know their target audience.

'Greatest hits radio' is repeat ad nauseum. I have 'tuned; in to it on one day and then a few days later, tune in and find they are playing the same tune.
    They will play Ah-ha 'Sun always shines on TV' but never any of their other hits for example.
    You will almost never hear a Beatles track, rarely a Rolling stones, they play the same 3 Abba tunes.
    One band, one tune generally.

If you can get the 70's, 80's and 90's hits on DAB (3 separate stations, same broadcaster), when you get an ad, just switch over to one of the others). Makes motorway driving a bit better 'cos R2 is now shyte even though that Steve Wright tw@t has gone.
    BBC have lost Eddie Mair, Mark Goodyear, Simon Mayo, Ken Bruce...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,974
    edited October 2023
    pinno said:

orraloon said:

Having 'Greatest Hits' radio playing away in background... the number and frequency of gambling related adverts! I guess they know their target audience.

'Greatest hits radio' is repeat ad nauseum. I have 'tuned; in to it on one day and then a few days later, tune in and find they are playing the same tune.
    I have a similar experience with Talksport. I only tune in occasionally for a short period to hear some sport/football chat and always get 5 minutes of adverts. #unlucky
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479
    pangolin said:

pblakeney said:

It’d be nice if I lived somewhere where people wouldn’t steal the milk the milkman has delivered to my house.

Alas

I'm assuming delivery people don't leave parcels in plain sight on doorsteps as they do round here... I passed one house with four large Amazon packages left leaning against the front door just five yards from the road yesterday.
    Back doors around here.
    Less obvious but tricky with terraced houses.
    My front doorstep is literally by the road (not even a pavement), though it is a very quiet cul de sac. If I've got something of slightly higher value arriving, I'll leave the recycling bin on the front step with a note on it, so at least it's not on such obvious display. If I see stuff left at one of the other houses in the road (it's only seven houses), I'll take it in and leave a note, especially if it's early in the day, or if it's likely to rain.
    Same situation on our terraced road. I had an Amazon driver open our door and leave the parcel in the hall recently. Not sure how I felt about that!
    I've had that, even when we're at home. They don't even ring the bell or knock. They always look startled when you open the inner door. If the door is unlocked, were you expecting nobody to be here?
  • It’d be nice if I lived somewhere where people wouldn’t steal the milk the milkman has delivered to my house.

Alas

that will be the boomers on their way to vandalise your car.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160
    Bloke on Masterchef that keeps saying oui instead of yes when asked a question (he’s very English and made the comment that he isn’t classically trained so probably doesn’t even have the excuse of doing his cheffing in France).
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,700

Masterchef.

Oui.
  • rick_chasey
    Have had a spate of exceptionally rude candidates and clients recently. I mean, really outrageous stuff.

That's not what's annoying me though.

What annoys me is if you play hardball with them; call their bluffs and ultimatums, act like you aren't really interested in them, and that you don't really care about them either, it bloody well works.

Pathetic people. Grow up and act like one. Shouldn't have to play games with you to get you to behave, arrogant pricks.
  • Pross
    Hosepipes. How is it that no matter how long you spend coiling it properly in always managed to twist itself back into a shape of its own choosing that makes it next to useless? I guess I'll have to go back to having a wall mounted hose reel which I'll also find trivially annoying.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,669
    Pross said:

Hosepipes. How is it that no matter how long you spend coiling it properly in always managed to twist itself back into a shape of its own choosing that makes it next to useless? I guess I'll have to go back to having a wall mounted hose reel which I'll also find trivially annoying.

Yeah, and vacuum cleaner hoses too. That along with wire coat-hangers tangled up, not forgetting our narrow conservatory where we store 6 bikes and the handlebars get caught in brake cables/hoses and the pedals get stuck in the spokes of the wheels of the other bikes when trying to manouvre them out.

Actually the more I think of it, the older I get, the more annoyed by trivial stuff I am.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    Pross said:

It spends longer on it's reel than it does all stretched out.
    Lay it out on a hot summers day until warm and then roll it on to the reel in the opposite wind direction than you usually do.
    From then on, occasionally rotate it AC/CW when winding it in.
    Of course, you'll have to stretch the hose out to it's full length but you'll get the benefit of the full hose (because a twisted hose will be shorter).
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,881
    edited October 2023
    You can get those expanding ones, in fact I have one in the garage that i've never used (it was there when we moved in) - looks like it would be a lot more kink resistant than the normal one.

Like this: https://www.robertdyas.co.uk/extendable-hose-30m?cq_src=google_ads&cq_cmp=17724362627&cq_term=&cq_plac=&cq_net=x&cq_plt=gp&gclid=Cj0KCQjwy4KqBhD0ARIsAEbCt6j2uiTYLigh1BhiYVLoukcQz6-Ls5ETCKw1xjXDqhIX-xg_QdKB3MIaAvtQEALw_wcB
  • Pross
    monkimark said:

You can get those expanding ones, in fact I have one in the garage that i've never used (it was there when we moved in) - looks like it would be a lot more kink resistant than the normal one.

Like this: https://www.robertdyas.co.uk/extendable-hose-30m?cq_src=google_ads&cq_cmp=17724362627&cq_term=&cq_plac=&cq_net=x&cq_plt=gp&gclid=Cj0KCQjwy4KqBhD0ARIsAEbCt6j2uiTYLigh1BhiYVLoukcQz6-Ls5ETCKw1xjXDqhIX-xg_QdKB3MIaAvtQEALw_wcB

We got one of those at the start of the summer but decided it was also a PITA. Once you've finished with it you have to turn the tap off and the continue using it until it has emptied completely so that it shrivels back to its dormant state. I'm sure there's a metaphor there somewhere for middle age.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692

Pross said:

Actually the more I think of it, the older I get, the more annoyed by trivial stuff I am.

I couldn't watch the programme Grumpy Old Men for a couple of reasons. A lot of the people on it were insufferable pricks, I wanted to join in and moan about most of the stuff.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479
    Delivery drivers objecting to being given a bolloxing for blocking the pavement when there's a perfectly good road there to use.
  • pblakeney
    Dunno where the idea that pavement = parking place started but it is becoming more and more prevalent. And I am talking where there is adequate road, and completely blocking the pavement. 🤬
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,603
    pblakeney said:

Dunno where the idea that pavement = parking place started but it is becoming more and more prevalent. And I am talking where there is adequate road, and completely blocking the pavement. 🤬

It's tempting in some cases to hop up and walk over the car, not that dissimilar to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzE-IMaegzQ

Haven't tried it yet though
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Pross
    pangolin said:

pblakeney said:

It's tempting in some cases to hop up and walk over the car, not that dissimilar to this:

I've been very tempted to do that. For some reason there is a real aversion around here to park fully on the 20 / 30mph 'B' road despite in being completely legal. I assume drivers don't want to inconvenience drivers so they'll park on the path instead.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,540
    Pross said:

pangolin said:

pblakeney said:

I've been very tempted to do that. For some reason there is a real aversion around here to park fully on the 20 / 30mph 'B' road despite in being completely legal. I assume drivers don't want to inconvenience drivers so they'll park on the path instead.

I occasionally photo-and-shame pavement-parkers on the local FB group, as the double-yellow-line- and pavement-parkers either block pavements or make junctions extremely dangerous. I've no problem with shaming either group.
  • rick_chasey

Pross said:

pangolin said:

pblakeney said:

I occasionally photo-and-shame pavement-parkers on the local FB group, as the double-yellow-line- and pavement-parkers either block pavements or make junctions extremely dangerous. I've no problem with shaming either group.
    Good on you. This is also the most boomer thing you've ever said.
  • pblakeney
    I guess it is only boomers who have difficulties pushing a pram down a pavement.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    pblakeney said:

I guess it is only boomers who have difficulties pushing a pram down a pavement.

It's the taking and photo and sticking it on a FB group bit ;-)
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

What if it works though?
    Our neighbour was shamed, and stopped. Wasn't us before you go down that road. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    If you know who it is, you could just talk to them....
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537
    Talking to them definitely isn't the millennial way!
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,540
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

What if it works though?
    Our neighbour was shamed, and stopped. Wasn't us before you go down that road. 😉

It works, sometimes.

There are also the ar$eholes who park in the loading bay outside the Co-op: if the artic can't park there to unload, it can't unload, and the shop misses the delivery for the day, and the shelves get empty. Occasionally the Co-op manager will post on the FB group to ask someone to move their car urgently - obviously, for professional reasons, they won't tell the offender that "YPLAC".

And yes, they are ar$eholes, because they think the rules don't apply to them, or that the parking restrictions are there for no reason or to reserve their space. Have a car in Topsham and play by the rules, or get shamed or a ticket (or both, preferably). I've managed it for 31 years without PLAC.
  • pblakeney

If you know who it is, you could just talk to them....

That didn't work. Someone publicly shaming them did.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    pinno said:

orraloon said:

They will play Ah-ha 'Sun always shines on TV' but never any of their other hits for example.
    You will almost never hear a Beatles track, rarely a Rolling stones, they play the same 3 Abba tunes.
    One band, one tune generally.

If you can get the 70's, 80's and 90's hits on DAB (3 separate stations, same broadcaster), when you get an ad, just switch over to one of the others). Makes motorway driving a bit better 'cos R2 is now shyte even though that Steve Wright tw@t has gone.
    BBC have lost Eddie Mair, Mark Goodyear, Simon Mayo, Ken Bruce...
    Pretty good this week as they're doing an all time top 500 through the day so nothing is getting played twice. I only tend to listen to Ken Bruce and sometimes a little bit either side so don't find it too bad. However, in my old work they used to have Radio X playing and we had a bit of a game guessing what was coming on next as it was so predictable. It was also worse for adverts, I've been surprised how few I get on Greatest Hits. Oh, and surely the A-Ha song that gets played most is Take On Me? I also hear The Living Daylights quite often.