Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,660
    edited November 2023
    I really wish the UK would just go down the continental route and just do full waiter service for all food and drink establishments.

God that waiting at the bar/till etc is a pain, especially for meetings.

I'd take the increased cost everywhere.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,537
    edited November 2023

I really wish the UK would just go down the continental route and just do full waiter service for all food and drink establishments.

Disagree with this. Take your clients somewhere better.
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2023

I do. It's when they decide :|

"I just love the coffee here" etc.

"it's so much more relaxed".

Yeah, not for me.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,614

Waiter service in pubs?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,540

I also disagree, at least in theatres. I used to go the the Northcott in Exeter frequently, and it was nice to share meals with a friend before the show: you queued up, chose your dish(es) at the counter, paid for it all at the till, and took it with you to the table to eat. New management came in, decided it was more efficient to have table service, so you never knew how long it would take for your food to arrive, and they had extra staff walking around the food area trying to find people, while said people were wondering if they'd actually manage to finish their food in time for the show. At least with the queue at the service counter, you could judge just how long it was all going to take.
  • rick_chasey

staff walking around the food area trying to find people, while said people were wondering if they'd actually manage to finish their food in time for the show. At least with the queue at the service counter, you could judge just how long it was all going to take.

If they have staff trying to find people, they're not taking your order at your table, then
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

Waiter service in pubs?
    Yeah. So you don't need to get up. Not ever been drinking abroad?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,614
    edited November 2023

Stevo_666 said:

Waiter service in pubs?
    Plenty of times. But they're not pubs.

And if you're already standing, you dont need to get up. Not that it bothers me, I'm not that lazy that I won't get up to buy a round.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537

Stevo_666 said:

Waiter service in pubs?
    I've always found the service pretty slow, so ended up drinking less than I may have at a UK pub.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,700
    Works fine in the US and Canada. And if the table service is shit you have the nuclear option of getting up and politely asking for a drink at the bar.

In the UK, you can be ignored by the server and the bar staff.
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2023
    Ruins conversation, especially if you're just a pair.

"drink?" *waits 5 mins on their own to hold the table down while*
  • Ruins conversation, especially if you're just a pair.

"drink?" *waits 5 mins on their own to hold the table down while*

as they chose the setup maybe they wanted to ruin the conversation
  • rick_chasey
    Good for the self confidence, this place.
  • people who "hold the table down" for 5 mins" so ensuring there is not enough seating capacity for everyone

sub human scum
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537

people who "hold the table down" for 5 mins" so ensuring there is not enough seating capacity for everyone

sub human scum

That went from 0-60 fast!

• briantrumpet

Good for the self confidence, this place.

'character building'
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,161

people who "hold the table down" for 5 mins" so ensuring there is not enough seating capacity for everyone

sub human scum

One I've raised in here before but tat came up again last week. I went into a local coffee shop on a rare day off last Friday and it was full (we tried the other one too and that was also full - there seem to be a lot of stay at home parents in the area who drop the kids off they spend the day chatting with their friends). There was one guy sat at a 5 seat table on his own with his laptop taking up most of the table and wearing a headset nursing an empty cup whilst people were looking around for somewhere to sit or simply not bothering ordering anything. We ended up grabbing a takeaway coffee and going to the bakery for a cake instead of eating in the coffee shop. I really struggle to understand why owners prefer to attract someone who will sit there ages working instead of going for customer turnover. If I ran a coffee shop I certainly wouldn't be providing free wi-fi so someone can set up office.
  • I went into Nero and saw "that guy" at a table for 5 working on his own. I just politely asked him if he wouldn't mind moving to a smaller as I was with my two kids, and he said "sure".

The passive-aggressiveness is pathetic.
  • people who "hold the table down" for 5 mins" so ensuring there is not enough seating capacity for everyone

sub human scum

Well if there isn't enough capacity to everyone, then some are going to have to stand regardless of whether someone is holding a table down or not.
  • rick_chasey
    If you had table service the staff would be policing the people using a cafe as an office for you.

sub human scum

Well if there isn't enough capacity to everyone, then some are going to have to stand regardless of whether someone is holding a table down or not.
    but if at any one time 10% of the tables are being held down then you are compounding the problem
  • I went into Nero and saw "that guy" at a table for 5 working on his own. I just politely asked him if he wouldn't mind moving to a smaller as I was with my two kids, and he said "sure".

I see them as holding down the chair and not the table and will offer to mov when their mate at the back of the queue gets there
  • Pross said:

sub human scum

One I've raised in here before but tat came up again last week. I went into a local coffee shop on a rare day off last Friday and it was full (we tried the other one too and that was also full - there seem to be a lot of stay at home parents in the area who drop the kids off they spend the day chatting with their friends). There was one guy sat at a 5 seat table on his own with his laptop taking up most of the table and wearing a headset nursing an empty cup whilst people were looking around for somewhere to sit or simply not bothering ordering anything. We ended up grabbing a takeaway coffee and going to the bakery for a cake instead of eating in the coffee shop. I really struggle to understand why owners prefer to attract someone who will sit there ages working instead of going for customer turnover. If I ran a coffee shop I certainly wouldn't be providing free wi-fi so someone can set up office.
    I sometimes wonder what a fair rate would be for a table for two if you weren't buying anything.

Assume the table turns twice in an hour so takings will be somewhere between £12-40. Allowing for profit margins it would suggest our lonely businessman should be paying at least £20 per hour rent
  • I'm another fan of table service, it's introduction was one of the few upsides of covid. It just feels more civilised, much better than a bar scrum imo.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,097
    Just a counter view: yesterday I had three meetings in a row in different parts of London stopping off at Costa for a coffee and to catch up on emails/do some actual work was pretty much the only way to not waste the hour or so in between each meeting. I only took up one seat on a small table.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pross

I went into Nero and saw "that guy" at a table for 5 working on his own. I just politely asked him if he wouldn't mind moving to a smaller as I was with my two kids, and he said "sure".

Can't really ask someone to move when there are no other tables.
  • Be more assertive and tell him to F-off entirely then?
  • Pross
    Not really my job to be telling people in someone else's business to do that is it? I just vote with my feet.
  • briantrumpet

Be more assertive and tell him to F-off entirely then?

Could be slightly less assertive, @Pross , and tell him to f-off just slightly.

I tend to make a point by asking if they'd mind (in a terribly English way) if I share the table. I probably ought to learn to sneeze at will, and then get out a big snotty handkerchief, while apologising (again in an English way... "Terribly sorry, old chap, I just can't shift it! I hope you don't mind!!") I suppose the alternative would be to go in masked, do the same introduction, and then remove the mask very obviously. Fewer words needed, maybe just the odd sniff and clearing of the throat.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited November 2023
    Pross said:

Not really my job to be telling people in someone else's business to do that is it? I just vote with my feet.

Buying a takeaway coffee is not what I would describe as voting with your feet - it gives them the best of both worlds - high margin sale and not taking up a table.