Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    So still hilly just shorter and steeper?
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,701

Kind of. Was all long drags into the wind where we were. The only variety this area doesn't have is flat roads.

We are almost in Devon, so main road across Dartmoor is only 7 miles. That tops out at more than 400m higher than it starts. We are also close to Kitt Hill, which is 300m climb at ave of 8% or thereabouts.

I am going to have to get my climbing legs back, pronto.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,538

Kind of. Was all long drags into the wind where we were. The only variety this area doesn't have is flat roads.

We are almost in Devon, so main road across Dartmoor is only 7 miles. That tops out at more than 400m higher than it starts. We are also close to Kitt Hill, which is 300m climb at ave of 8% or thereabouts.

Long commute to Scotland?
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,540

Where ya moving to FA?

BT land. As in briantrumpet land, i.e. Devon, where I've been in shorts today, and still turn the heating for just a couple of hours each evening.

Good move, FA. As long as you don't mind copious cowshit on the roads. At least we haven't got midges.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976

Where ya moving to FA?

BT land. As in briantrumpet land, i.e. Devon, where I've been in shorts today, and still turn the heating for just a couple of hours each evening.

Good move, FA. As long as you don't mind copious cowshit on the roads. At least we haven't got midges.
    I imagine you do get flies covered in cowshit though.
    Tough call. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

Where ya moving to FA?

I imagine you do get flies covered in cowshit though.
    Tough call. 😉

I don't mind most Devon flies, except horseflies, the bastards... by the time you think it's worth brushing them off, they've got their fangs in you. Mind you, at least they are reasonably infrequent feasters on flesh, unlike midges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzUlj6eTehA
  • So still hilly just shorter and steeper?

Will you be appearing on “Escape to the Country”?
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • briantrumpet

Even fewer flat roads than here, I suspect. Good interval training, in effect, on any ride. Pork Hill is quite challenging if you've ridden from Tavistock.

Are you sure that the internet has reached Cornwall already? I didn't know it would run on gas.
  • rick_chasey
    Is “Cornish time” still a thing?
  • First.Aspect

Where ya moving to FA?

Devon was the target, Brian, but this side of the Tamar was a bit more affordable.

Anyhow, not many midges where we were in Midlothian, it was the other locals that bothered us more.

Mixed feelings, but I was out today at aforementioned Kitt Hill and I could see the coast and two moors.

I think my choice of cycle clothing was about 500 miles too warm.
  • briantrumpet

Where ya moving to FA?

Devon was the target, Brian, but this side of the Tamar was a bit more affordable.

Anyhow, not many midges where we were in Midlothian, it was the other locals that bothered us more.

Mixed feelings, but I was out today at aforementioned Kitt Hill and I could see the coast and two moors.

I think my choice of cycle clothing was about 500 miles too warm.
    Yeah, it's a nice corner, even if they put the jam on scones first. Might be a shorts day on Monday.

I've got farming friends just near Gunnislake, but really ought to do more riding down there, as it is pretty, and the cycle route into Plymouth is (mostly) good... certainly better than the main road.
  • First.Aspect

Will you be appearing on “Escape to the Country”?
    No. I was already in the country.
  • First.Aspect

I bleeve so.
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2023

I bleeve so.
    Good luck with that.

Years ago I did a post GCSE bike tour around Cornwall with some mates, staying in various hostels. I think one was near lizard’s point and the owner was relatively new and was absolutely tearing his hair out.

He’d called a plumber a few days before to fix the boiler and just couldn’t believe however many he called they said they’d just come at some point. I just remember he had his head in his hands going “f@ckin Cornish time” over and over

He gave us a free English breakfast to make up for it. We didn’t mind. It was hot weather and we were 16.
  • briantrumpet

I bleeve so.
    Good luck with that.

Years ago I did a post GCSE tour around Cornwall with some mates, staying in various hostels. I think one was near lizard’s point and the owner was relatively new and was absolutely tearing his hair out.

He’d called a plumber a few days before to fix the boiler and just couldn’t believe however many he called they said they’d just come at some point.

He gave us a free English breakfast to make up for it. We didn’t mind. It was hot and we were 16.

"Us'll be there dreckly"
  • First.Aspect

I bleeve so.
    Good luck with that.

Years ago I did a post GCSE bike tour around Cornwall with some mates, staying in various hostels. I think one was near lizard’s point and the owner was relatively new and was absolutely tearing his hair out.

He’d called a plumber a few days before to fix the boiler and just couldn’t believe however many he called they said they’d just come at some point. I just remember he had his head in his hands going “f@ckin Cornish time” over and over

He gave us a free English breakfast to make up for it. We didn’t mind. It was hot weather and we were 16.
    I can use Devon tradesmen. Nearest town of any size is Tavistock.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976

I bleeve so.
    Good luck with that.

If it's near I can recommend the pub in Bere Ferrers for Sunday lunch. You have to book (or did in the summer) for a 12-24 hour slow roast on the BBQ. Sells out fast too.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    pblakeney said:

I bleeve so.
    Good luck with that.

If it's near I can recommend the pub in Bere Ferrers for Sunday lunch. You have to book (or did in the summer) for a 12-24 hour slow roast on the BBQ. Sells out fast too.
    It is near, thank you. Spoiled for choice in some ways.
  • rick_chasey
    Entirely predictable video, especially when the rozzers turn up.

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,669
    Would have been nice if the Rozzers had actually been useful and booked the moped driver for driving with Undue Care and Attention.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,603
    It wasn't exactly a great move by the cyclist either.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    Had always thought that being involved in an accident on the road required both parties to stop, but clearly the more pressing matter is the presence or not of a not-legally-required helmet on the cyclist.
  • pangolin

Had always thought that being involved in an accident on the road required both parties to stop, but clearly the more pressing matter is the presence or not of a not-legally-required helmet on the cyclist.

They do stop. The cyclist and the moped driver both set off together at the end.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • First.Aspect
    As an animal lover I'm most annoyed that he's putting his I'm a cool quirky Londoner thing ahead of the cat's welfare.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,669
    pangolin said:

It wasn't exactly a great move by the cyclist either.

Still doesn't excuse the move of the Moped. It's the new Highway Code Rule H1

"Rule H1

It is important that ALL road users are aware of The Highway Code, are considerate to other road users and understand their responsibility for the safety of others.

Everyone suffers when road collisions occur, whether they are physically injured or not. But those in charge of vehicles that can cause the greatest harm in the event of a collision bear the greatest responsibility to take care and reduce the danger they pose to others. This principle applies most strongly to drivers of large goods and passenger vehicles, vans/minibuses, cars/taxis and motorcycles."

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• First.Aspect
    In terms of the actual cycling, he did nothing wrong. A moped overtook between him and the bollard and knocked him off. They were both turning right. 1. Onus on who is overtaking not to hit what you are overtaking. 2. In the middle of a junction is a shit stupid place to overtake.

But back to the cat, it would be dead if it got off the harness. Looks cute though, eh? Lotsa social media likes.
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2023

In terms of the actual cycling, he did nothing wrong. A moped overtook between him and the bollard and knocked him off. They were both turning right. 1. Onus on who is overtaking not to hit what you are overtaking. 2. In the middle of a junction is a censored stupid place to overtake.

But back to the cat, it would be dead if it got off the harness. Looks cute though, eh? Lotsa social media likes.

Nothing is more British that focusing on the plight of a domesticated animal over a person; another trivial annoyance.
  • First.Aspect

In terms of the actual cycling, he did nothing wrong. A moped overtook between him and the bollard and knocked him off. They were both turning right. 1. Onus on who is overtaking not to hit what you are overtaking. 2. In the middle of a junction is a censored stupid place to overtake.

Nothing is more British that focusing on the plight of a domesticated animal over a person; another trivial annoyance.
    I personally struggle to see how anyone without empathy for animals can have empathy for people.
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2023

I personally struggle to see how anyone without empathy for animals can have empathy for people.
    It's a question of priorities, I guess. I eat animals, I don't eat people. I'm not enough of a hypocrite to be so concerned with animal welfare when it suits but happy for them to be mass farmed so I can eat affordable meat.
  • pangolin

How far through the overtaking process does someone have to be before turning right across their path becomes your fault?

(Yes it is a stupid place to overtake)
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono