Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,650

As far as I can tell the heart only does weird things when I'm at rest... I had to stop myself chuckling when the GP said to record if I had any chest pains or shortness of breath when cycling... I think I might have said I only get SOB if I ride up Peak Hill or an Alp too quickly.

A 70-year-old friend of mine said he'd drawn a blank using one of the NHS things to investigate his extra heartbeats... but since he qualified for his 30th consecutive year for Super Randonneur this year, I don't think there can be too much wrong with him.

Not wanting to be a buzzkill but those doing long endurance sport can have more of these kinds of things.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    I have heart palpitations too, especially at rest. It often skips beats or alternately pounds heavily (sometimes enough to rock the bed-which unsurprisingly doesn’t rock me to sleep). My RHR is 38, so when it skips a beat, that’s over a 3 second gap and sure feels like it.
    I bit worryingly, I’ve been exercising less to try and increase RHR, but it’s stubbornly stuck at 38.
    As RC points out, there are certainly negative sides to endurance exercise.

The book The Haywire Heart (How Too Much Exercise Can Kill You) covers it.
  • Younger athletes are at greater risk of atrial fibrillation than older athletes, say researchers

Athletes appear to be almost two and half times more likely than non-athletes to experience irregular heart rhythms (atrial fibrillation), suggests new research published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine.

In addition, those athletes involved in mixed sports such as football, rugby or netball appear to have the highest risk when compared with athletes taking part in endurance sports such as Nordic skiing, orienteering or rowing.

Previous studies have shown that physical activity can improve cardiovascular health and is associated with reduced illness and deaths, but they have suggested there is a threshold beyond which exposure to increasing levels of exercise is linked to heart issues including atrial fibrillation – a condition that can raise the risk of stroke, heart failure and other heart-related problems.
    https://www.bmj.com/company/newsroom/athletes-may-have-more-than-twice-the-risk-of-irregular-heart-rhythm/
    Yep, like anything it's best not to push the limits either end.
  • There is a growing population of veteran endurance athletes, regularly participating in training and competition. Although the graded benefit of exercise on cardiovascular health and mortality is well established, recent studies have raised concern that prolonged and strenuous endurance exercise may predispose to atrial and ventricular arrhythmias. Atrial fibrillation (AF) and atrial flutter are facilitated by atrial remodelling, atrial ectopy, and an imbalance of the autonomic nervous system. Endurance sports practice has an impact on all of these factors and may therefore act as a promoter of these arrhythmias. In an animal model, long-term intensive exercise training induced fibrosis in both atria and increased susceptibility to AF. While the prevalence of AF is low in young competitive athletes, it increases substantially in the aging athlete
    https://academic.oup.com/eurjpc/article/21/8/1040/5925801
  • webboo said:

My dentist insisted I use those TPI brush things trying to go up a size when I got one through the gaps between my teeth. Now every time I eat I get food stuck in the gaps.

Those things are savage, I tried them once on my dentists recommendation and went straight back to using floss.
  • As far as I can tell the heart only does weird things when I'm at rest... I had to stop myself chuckling when the GP said to record if I had any chest pains or shortness of breath when cycling... I think I might have said I only get SOB if I ride up Peak Hill or an Alp too quickly.

A 70-year-old friend of mine said he'd drawn a blank using one of the NHS things to investigate his extra heartbeats... but since he qualified for his 30th consecutive year for Super Randonneur this year, I don't think there can be too much wrong with him.

Not wanting to be a buzzkill but those doing long endurance sport can have more of these kinds of things.

Indeed, aware of that. https://www.rouleur.cc/blogs/rouleur-performance/what-are-arrhythmias-and-should-you-worry-about-it
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532
    Uber and other private hire cars. Should all be banned from central London.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771

As far as I can tell the heart only does weird things when I'm at rest... I had to stop myself chuckling when the GP said to record if I had any chest pains or shortness of breath when cycling... I think I might have said I only get SOB if I ride up Peak Hill or an Alp too quickly.

Guy who rides in the fast group of our local club rides actually arrested out of the blue while we were waiting to set off a few weeks ago. Just dropped on the spot, luckily he was saved, but it was close. You never know ...
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479

Guy who rides in the fast group of our local club rides actually arrested out of the blue while we were waiting to set off a few weeks ago. Just dropped on the spot, luckily he was saved, but it was close. You never know ...
    https://bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c80jr7470j9o
    Saw this article yesterday. Timing can be everything

• Guy who rides in the fast group of our local club rides actually arrested out of the blue while we were waiting to set off a few weeks ago. Just dropped on the spot, luckily he was saved, but it was close. You never know ...

Christ!

(I speed read your post initially and picked up on arrested, blue and dropped on the spot; thought the poor sod had been shot by the Met...)

• TheBigBean
    Sadiq the bus slayer strikes again.
  • masjer said:

I have heart palpitations too, especially at rest. It often skips beats or alternately pounds heavily (sometimes enough to rock the bed-which unsurprisingly doesn’t rock me to sleep). My RHR is 38, so when it skips a beat, that’s over a 3 second gap and sure feels like it.
    I bit worryingly, I’ve been exercising less to try and increase RHR, but it’s stubbornly stuck at 38.

Hmm.

Anyway, after reading several reviews, I've bought the £150 Kardia thing, and it's a doddle to use. Whether it reassures me that all's OK, or shows patterns of atrial fibrillation (maybe related to eating - could be), at least it's more data should the GP want it/them, and doesn't rely on being on a waiting list for outdated NHS equipment.

I have to say that the bit of kit that links to the app is very neat, as as far as I can tell gives a clear an accurate trace of heart activity. I haven't paid for the subscription to get the additional traces that trace other heart arrhythmias.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613

masjer said:

Hmm.

Anyway, after reading several reviews, I've bought the £150 Kardia thing, and it's a doddle to use. Whether it reassures me that all's OK, or shows patterns of atrial fibrillation (maybe related to eating - could be), at least it's more data should the GP want it/them, and doesn't rely on being on a waiting list for outdated NHS equipment.

I have to say that the bit of kit that links to the app is very neat, as as far as I can tell gives a clear an accurate trace of heart activity. I haven't paid for the subscription to get the additional traces that trace other heart arrhythmias.
    Kardia device does look interesting.

Recently, I’ve been aware of skipped beats whilst riding, especially on hills, which does leave me self-analysing rather than enjoying riding.
    I used to cope fine with distance (10,000+ miles per year) with hill efforts (spring, summer, autumn), followed by a base winter LSD. Then all the advice that ‘winter base training is a waste of time’ emerged, so (as well as long rides) I kept intensity high during winter too. Turbo Intervals...intervals...intervals… then Strava KOMing came along, adding yet more intensity…something broke. With hindsight, I wish I’d listened to my body more.
    Fatigued, I’ve really backed off in both intensity and distance to try and get back some vigour of old, but alas it hasn’t returned…oh well, there’s always photography 😁.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,973
    Has there been any studies into HIT and aging?
    I can imagine that there is a crossover point.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,197
    5 years back I had signed up for a 100+ mile sportive, my first such event, in June, so started HIIT on the turbo Jan onwards to make sure I was on form. I was pushing it. In March I suffered a BVRO, branch vein retinal occlusion i.e. one of the tiny blood vessels in the eye went pop. Which has caused ongoing treatments since.

Why did it go pop? No one knows. Though discussions with consultants several suggested HIT might have been a trigger. Not been on that exercise regime since. Getting older, innit.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,697
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-66974738

Use of the term "floating" by a BBC science correspondent in this context.

Science communication is about making things both understandable and correct. Understandable and wrong is easy, but wrong.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,650
    STOP USING YOUR APPLE WATCH TO GET THROUGH THE TRAIN BARRIERS. IT NEVER WORKS
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,537

STOP USING YOUR APPLE WATCH TO GET THROUGH THE TRAIN BARRIERS. IT NEVER WORKS

"Yebbut I want to prove that Apple is Always Awesome and that I'm a cool dude!"
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,197
    Bleepin' tech. On an admin day, stuff to organise, inc phone calls required. Get the call back as promised, start the chat, go to speaker phone mode so I can rummage through stuff, I can hear the caller, she cannot hear me... OK, back to the start, do not pass Go, do not... Now how can I pass the time?

• briantrumpet

Science communication is about making things both understandable and correct. Understandable and wrong is easy, but wrong.

I know it's not supported by one of the OED's definitions, but it's not a massive metaphorical shift, is it? Metaphorical shift is how a very large proportion of meaning evolves.

To move freely and gently in or through the air, as if buoyed up or carried along by it.

Though I'm not going to get too exercised by it... what would your simplistic analogy be, if you were trying to describer it to a bear of very little brain?

• briantrumpet
    From NASA:

https://www.nasa.gov/learning-resources/for-kids-and-students/what-is-microgravity-grades-5-8/

Microgravity is the condition in which people or objects appear to be weightless. The effects of microgravity can be seen when astronauts and objects float in space.

• Taking umbrage at ☝ being posted in this thread.
    That album was the soundtrack to my '97

You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.

• Taking umbrage at ☝ being posted in this thread.
    That album was the soundtrack to my '97

Just pointing out that floating in space is an absolutely valid phrase.

I'm sure I saw them back in 1991 or something but it's all a bit hazy.
  • Ah, I see.
    Point taken.
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091

I know it's not supported by one of the OED's definitions, but it's not a massive metaphorical shift, is it? Metaphorical shift is how a very large proportion of meaning evolves.

To move freely and gently in or through the air, as if buoyed up or carried along by it.

Though I'm not going to get too exercised by it... what would your simplistic analogy be, if you were trying to describer it to a bear of very little brain?
    Drifting?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    rjsterry said:

Drifting?

I'm afraid that also began life as something more precise:

To move as driven or borne along by a current; to float or move along with the stream or wind

Pretty much every utterance we make is based on metaphor (and analogy), whether we're aware of it or not.
  • TheBigBean
    I once got a question wrong on my PADI exam, because they thought that floating meant "floating on the surface".
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602

I once got a question wrong on my PADI exam, because they thought that floating meant "floating on the surface".

Look at that boat floating just under the water.

Hmm
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono