Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,645
    edited September 2023
    rjsterry said:

Fortnightly food waste collections is bordering on a public health issue. Unless you have tight fitting lids they will be absolutely seething by collection day, not to mention rats and foxes. Whichever council member signed off on mixed food and garden waste needs their head examining.

Indeed. A rather nasty girl who was in my sister's class at school now runs the local bin-cleaning service. Absolutely loaded, fair play to them. £7 per bin, drives around day of collection days, trailer on the back with a generator and a power hose with some chemicals.
  • Can't you bury it in the compost, grass cuttings n stuff?
  • rick_chasey

Can't you bury it in the compost, grass cuttings n stuff?

Sure I can. What about everyone else in the 'hood?
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,917
    edited September 2023

Sure I can. What about everyone else in the 'hood?
    Each night and morning open your window and shout out, "BURY YOUR FOOD WASTE IN THE COMPOST".
  • Oh, and "MAKE SURE YOU COVER IT WELL BECAUSE OF RATS N $H1T".
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,197
    Or just stop wasting food?

No food waste collection round these parts. I guess people just put stuff into the general waste wheelie, tip / incinerator bound. Para mi, bar the v v rare meaty type bone, it's only vege peelings and the like that would qualify and they go in the composter.
  • orraloon said:

No food waste collection round these parts. I guess people just put stuff into the general waste wheelie, tip / incinerator bound. Para mi, bar the v v rare meaty type bone, it's only vege peelings and the like that would qualify and they go in the composter.

Yep, I was brought up like that. Don't get down from the table untill you're finished.

It amazes me people pay to go to restaurant and leave half of it, drink too. It does annoy me.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479
    edited September 2023

Ah I see. Does that really make a difference? fortnight old food is still gonna be out in the baking sun all day.

food caddy lid is better fitting

as TBB suggests your problem is that you live in the sticks

I actually quite like the system here in France (it'll be "there in France" from tomorrow evening, bah!) where there are no doorstep collections, and you drop off your waste & recycling as and when at the communal village rubbish/recycling area, which is sensibly placed a little way down the road into town... walkable, if you don't have a car, and right by the road if you do.
    That's the system for chunks of Brighton, especially in areas where the houses have become flats. Generally ends up with overflowing crap all over the road and a gulls tea-party.
    Out in my bit of the sticks it's weekly for black bin and food waste and fortnightly for the recycling monster bin.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,970
    edited September 2023
    Tashman said:

Ah I see. Does that really make a difference? fortnight old food is still gonna be out in the baking sun all day.

I actually quite like the system here in France (it'll be "there in France" from tomorrow evening, bah!) where there are no doorstep collections, and you drop off your waste & recycling as and when at the communal village rubbish/recycling area, which is sensibly placed a little way down the road into town... walkable, if you don't have a car, and right by the road if you do.
    That's the system for chunks of Brighton, especially in areas where the houses have become flats. Generally ends up with overflowing censored all over the road and a gulls tea-party.
    Out in my bit of the sticks it's weekly for black bin and food waste and fortnightly for the recycling monster bin.
    What they need are the proper ones you get in Europe. Built like icebergs, you only see the top section, and the bottom section is regularly compacted.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney said:

Tashman said:

That's the system for chunks of Brighton, especially in areas where the houses have become flats. Generally ends up with overflowing censored all over the road and a gulls tea-party.
    What they need are the proper ones you get in Europe. Built like icebergs, you only see the top section, and the bottom section is regularly compacted.
    But ah, cost.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    edited September 2023

To make it rot faster? I'm not sure a light dusting of grass clippings is going to hold in decomposition odours nor keep out vermin.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney said:

Tashman said:

Haha, yes... I didn't see the new ones being put in, and when I first chucked some glass in the relevant bin, I thought that I must have entered a blip in the space-time continuum, given the time it took to fall what I thought was about 1m. Turned out that there's about 2m underground, which you see when they lift the things out.

Like any system, it needs management to stop overflows, but it seems to work well here, and the bin lorries cover a much larger catchment, I assume, as a result... just one stop for about 150 houses.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,604

Bins only get collected every two weeks in the sticks?

Every week here for general trash and tins/plastic/cardboard etc. Every other week for garden waste.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,154

My collection is due to move to 3 weekly (in addition to the bin reducing from 240l to 120l). Food waste and recycling is still weekly though and garden waste fortnightly through summer months. I’d rather bins get smaller again than going to three weekly collections but might explain why Wales is doing so well on recycling.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    orraloon said:

...and 56 miles down the road, we have food waste collection. They ran it as a pilot scheme and didn't roll it out in the rest of the shire.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    rjsterry said:

Fortnightly food waste collections is bordering on a public health issue. Unless you have tight fitting lids they will be absolutely seething by collection day, not to mention rats and foxes. Whichever council member signed off on mixed food and garden waste needs their head examining.

Because actually, the best compost is < 15% food waste and the rest garden cuttings so someone has figured that it is already mixed but I concede that capacity must be a problem.
  • pinno
    pinno said:

orraloon said:

...and 56 miles down the road, we have food waste collection. They ran it as a pilot scheme and didn't roll it out in the rest of the shire.
    This after an enormous U turn of finally going down the route of SAS.
    If you want the whole low down, I can tell you in infinite detail and even provide the names of the idiots making the decisions.
    But to cut a long story short; in 2014* they failed to meet the lowest minimum recycling targets (40%) and thus triggered the indemnity whereby they received a huge penalty and reduced finances from the Scottish Executive.
    It's a train crash from the start in 2002 to today.

*Basically, they tried to pass off 13% of waste that was incinerated as 'recycled'. I mean, who tf gave the advice that incinerated waste could be classed as recycling?!
  • Pross said:

My collection is due to move to 3 weekly (in addition to the bin reducing from 240l to 120l). Food waste and recycling is still weekly though and garden waste fortnightly through summer months. I’d rather bins get smaller again than going to three weekly collections but might explain why Wales is doing so well on recycling.

Sans fonts annoy me, especially when you mix up capital I's and lower-case l's.

See what I mean?
  • Maybe bin collection rates can become the new Cake Stop yardstick to decide how rural you really are living.
  • Personally, I think there should be a supplementary levy on rural collections, given it uses for more fuel driving around the countryside. I can't imagine anyone would object to such a modest proposal. I'm not sure what level it should be pitched at... maybe £12.50 per collection?
  • Personally, I think there should be a supplementary levy on rural collections, given it uses for more fuel driving around the countryside. I can't imagine anyone would object to such a modest proposal. I'm not sure what level it should be pitched at... maybe £12.50 per collection?

Funny.
  • Pross

Pross said:

See what I mean?
    No?
  • rick_chasey
    pinno said:

In Ricktopia, there will be food pills as there will be no countryside and no smells.

Bit surprised my complaint that 2 week old food waste in the hot sun stinking the 'hood out brought this out?!
  • Pross said:

Pross said:

See what I mean?
    No?
    IlIllI.

Tell me which ones are lower-case L's and which are capital l's.
  • pinno said:

In Ricktopia, there will be food pills as there will be no countryside and no smells.

Bit surprised my complaint that 2 week old food waste in the hot sun stinking the 'hood out brought this out?!
    He's in Scotland, probably just jealous about the possibility of hot weather and bad smells.
  • Pross

Pross said:

Pross said:

See what I mean?
    No?
    IlIllI.

The ones used as a shortened version of litres are ls 😉
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532

Pross said:

Pross said:

See what I mean?
    No?
    IlIllI.

When has this been an issue for you? My handwriting is the same.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091

Pross said:

Pross said:

See what I mean?
    No?
    IlIllI.

Is it just that using a lower case L for litres is asking for confusion and L is better?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pross said:

Pross said:

See what I mean?
    No?
    IlIllI.

It's not a major issue, just a minor annoyance... for instance, if I email a question asking "How many litres did you buy, and they write back "20l", there is the risk of confusion.

BTW, in my question to Pross, they were both L's, one upper and one lower case.
  • pblakeney
    I'm probably incorrect but I always use L for litres.
    Veronese68 wrote: