Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    Tashman said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

The way that buzzards sit there on telegraph poles when you stop to take a photo at close quarters, but fly off at the moment you get your camera out of the jersey pocket. Every time.

I’ve been having similar with the swifts gathering on cables in the last couple of weeks.
    They'll be swallows not swifts (just to be trivially annoying!)
    Can never decide which is which. Actually they might even be house martins.
    Swifts very rarely land on anything! they feed, eat and sleep "on the wing" and a newly fledged one may not stop flying for for a couple of years (when nesting). They are quite remarkable birds.

Swallows and housemartins have white undersides (swifts are brown all over) and the swallow has the longer trailing tail feathers.
    We have the generic SwiftSwallowMartin breed here that covers all bases when talking about them. They are great to watch swooping over a field late on a summers afternoon though.
    There are lots of house martins locally due to the derelict barns as farmers have moved to large metal sheds and the old stone one's are a logistical challenge to remove for no real benefit. For me they signal the start of spring proper with their chirping away and the lovely flying swooping movements. Plus they have one incredibly long journey for such a small bird. They are also bold enough to dive bomb the cat. If you get to see one up close they have a beautiful sheen.
    Although the raptors like Golden Eagles and other birds of prey get all the attention and hype, I think that the House Martin and the Barn owl are my two favourite birds.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Or extend! 😀

That's your advice for someone who doesn't want to live in a building site?
    😁. Moving with children is pretty stressful as well. You could rent somewhere while the works are carried out but that's more money and double moving.
    Depends how old they are.
    My two were 5 and 7 when we moved into PPP. We showed them their rooms and asked them where they wanted the beds and toys and got them involved with the process. It was a doddle.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,604
    pinno said:

Tashman said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

The way that buzzards sit there on telegraph poles when you stop to take a photo at close quarters, but fly off at the moment you get your camera out of the jersey pocket. Every time.

I’ve been having similar with the swifts gathering on cables in the last couple of weeks.
    Swifts very rarely land on anything! they feed, eat and sleep "on the wing" and a newly fledged one may not stop flying for for a couple of years (when nesting). They are quite remarkable birds.

Swallows and housemartins have white undersides (swifts are brown all over) and the swallow has the longer trailing tail feathers.
    We have the generic SwiftSwallowMartin breed here that covers all bases when talking about them. They are great to watch swooping over a field late on a summers afternoon though.
    There are lots of house martins locally due to the derelict barns as farmers have moved to large metal sheds and the old stone one's are a logistical challenge to remove for no real benefit. For me they signal the start of spring proper with their chirping away and the lovely flying swooping movements. Plus they have one incredibly long journey for such a small bird. They are also bold enough to dive bomb the cat. If you get to see one up close they have a beautiful sheen.
    Although the raptors like Golden Eagles and other birds of prey get all the attention and hype, I think that the House Martin and the Barn owl are my two favourite birds.
    I like House Martins as well
    https://youtu.be/fDa8SJ4mp4A?si=Zdaar-Jffigd65AJ

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,668
    We moved into my sisters for 6 weeks when my wife and I bought our house for me to do some rewiring and replumbing (no budget to get someone in). 6 MONTHS later we had to move out - into a almost complete building site. A B&D workmate was our dining table for a while.
    Good luck with the #2 child.

Tetris - when we go camping it's very much like 3D Tetris against the clock when we need to be off the site by 11am.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,645
    I think the next 3-4 years we will move, regardless.

Where depends on how much money I make & relative house prices.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532

I think the next 3-4 years we will move, regardless.

Where depends on how much money I make & relative house prices.

Can I suggest, mostly for the benefit of people that read on Cake Stop, that you base yourself around another train line.
  • I think you should move into London and sell your car RC.
  • rick_chasey

I think you should move into London and sell your car RC.

I have a earning target in mind; if I hit that I will certainly move back to the big smoke.

Fairly unlikely end of the earning's fan-chart, however.
  • Congrats on #2.

We moved with 2 young kids (one aged 3 and one aged 6m) and it wasn't that hard - just had to align a few things (we got part of the house carpeted on the same day as the removals people came in) which was challenging, but doable as they emptied the old house in the AM while carpet fitters came to the new house, then moved in after they had been - and we just left all the boxes in another room as we unpacked.

Trick is to do it on a school day (ideally a nursery day as it's longer) so you don't actually have them under your feet.

If you are moving - there is definitely a lot more bang for buck to move back towards London, depending on how much you are relying on your parents for childcare.

• Tashman said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

Swimarlow, or Swaliftin.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,917
    edited September 2023
    Dragonflies, that's a sight when they whizz passed and change direction like a UAP.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    Car indicators getting smaller.
    Some of these little winkers are so small they are increasingly difficult to see from certain angles. A superfluous accessory for most on roundabouts but still.
    Inspired by UAP lights, no doubt.

• masjer said:

Some of these little winkers are so small they are increasingly difficult to see from certain angles. A superfluous accessory for most on roundabouts but still.

I don't think that's what your wife meant when she talked about your little winker.

You need to think about a new saddle.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613

masjer said:

I don't think that's what your wife meant when she talked about your little winker.

You need to think about a new saddle.
    Thanks, Dr Aspect, I did wonder what had happened.
  • pinno
    One ties string to it on winter. Easier to find.
  • rick_chasey
    Green bin day when it’s hot.

Whole neighbourhood literally stinks.
  • photonic69
    The "The Big 'Let's sell our cars and take buses/ebikes instead' thread"
    Yawn.

• photonic69
    Those little bits of sticky plastic on pasta/tea packets that say "stick down to reseal". Cos they just don't.

• Green bin day when it’s hot.

Whole neighbourhood literally stinks.

add to your list of reasons to move "somewhere that collects food waste separately"
  • rick_chasey
    How would that change the problem?
  • How would that change the problem?

the smell is probably from rotting food waste, in a separate food caddy with a better lid it smells less.
  • rick_chasey
    Ah I see. Does that really make a difference? fortnight old food is still gonna be out in the baking sun all day.
  • pinno
    edited September 2023
    In Ricktopia, there will be food pills as there will be no countryside and no smells.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532
    Bins only get collected every two weeks in the sticks?
  • Bins only get collected every two weeks in the sticks?

Food being only every two weeks does sound annoying.
  • rick_chasey

Bins only get collected every two weeks in the sticks?

Alternates, one week black bins, one week blue and green.

Green slows down over the winter to once a month.
  • Ah I see. Does that really make a difference? fortnight old food is still gonna be out in the baking sun all day.

food caddy lid is better fitting

as TBB suggests your problem is that you live in the sticks
  • rick_chasey
    That is indeed a problem.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    Fortnightly food waste collections is bordering on a public health issue. Unless you have tight fitting lids they will be absolutely seething by collection day, not to mention rats and foxes. Whichever council member signed off on mixed food and garden waste needs their head examining.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Ah I see. Does that really make a difference? fortnight old food is still gonna be out in the baking sun all day.

food caddy lid is better fitting

as TBB suggests your problem is that you live in the sticks

I actually quite like the system here in France (it'll be "there in France" from tomorrow evening, bah!) where there are no doorstep collections, and you drop off your waste & recycling as and when at the communal village rubbish/recycling area, which is sensibly placed a little way down the road into town... walkable, if you don't have a car, and right by the road if you do.