Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,505
    edited August 2023
    One of the "best" OoO replies I ever got was something like:

"I am on holiday until xx/yy/zz and will be deleting all unread emails on my return. Should you need anything urgently, please contact << name and email >> , otherwise you can contact me after xx/yy/zz."
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153

I should clarify that I have a less friendly and grateful OoO message for emails originating from my own organisation. They can just censored right off until I'm back.

My one boss didn't seem to realise you could set them up separately. I returned from leave to an email bemoaning my abrupt tone in the out of office and being copied into an email to a client apologising for it being so abrupt. They must have wondered what he was on about as the external one was very civil whereas the internal just said 'On leave, back on ***'.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    Mrs Slog's inability to grasp the difference between (Facebook) messenger and an SMS text.

I get home to my pc to find a message in messenger along the lines of 'pick up some milk'.

"Well I sent it in messenger", she'll say.

"Yes, I know you did. That's why I didn't get it, because I don't have that (or any internet) on my phone."

The older I get, the better I was.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,693
    capt_slog said:

Mrs Slog's inability to grasp the difference between (Facebook) messenger and an SMS text.

I get home to my pc to find a message in messenger along the lines of 'pick up some milk'.

"Yes, I know you did. That's why I didn't get it, because I don't have that (or any internet) on my phone."

How *is* the battery on your Nokia holding up?
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    edited August 2023

capt_slog said:

How *is* the battery on your Nokia holding up?
    I charge once a month :smile:

The older I get, the better I was.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,643

"I am on holiday until xx/yy/zz and will be deleting all unread emails on my return. Should you need anything urgently, please contact << name and email >> , otherwise you can contact me after xx/yy/zz."

I did receive one of those once.

When it's you sending the email, you think they're a total pr!ck/

ymmv.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,693

ymmv.
    If six minutes of productive thought is costing the sender £40, being hilarious isn't really an option.

Applies to any professional service.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692

ymmv.
    Mine is a slightly toned down version of that, basically says if the email needs a response to forward it to xxx as I may not get to it on my return. Internal one a little more blunt. They may think I'm a pr!ck, but that's not my problem, if they want my business they can suck it up. I got back to over 600 emails this time, I'm not going to read them all. I save them in a separate folder so I can refer back if necessary.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,603
    I suppose I'm fortunate that I can say 'please contact one of my minions if you need immediate assistance', with a get out clause of 'text me if urgent and nobody else can help' in case its the boss or one of the other main board members and they want me to deal with something.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    The current weather. Any day that you can be on the verge of getting sunburnt whilst also getting soaked is a day of mixed feelings.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,522
    pblakeney said:

The current weather. Any day that you can be on the verge of getting sunburnt whilst also getting soaked is a day of mixed feelings.

I probably ought not to complain about the forecast here being 35C every afternoon for the next ten days... though it does rather limit what I can tolerate these days.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

I probably ought not to complain about the forecast here being 35C every afternoon for the next ten days... though it does rather limit what I can tolerate these days.
    Tbh, that high temperature would annoy me more.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Tbh, that high temperature would annoy me more.

It effectively means I can't really do 100-milers in various directions, as it just gets uncomfortable by mid-afternoon anywhere other then up on the plateau (where it can be a good 5C cooler). So, realistically, max 60-70, so I can be bac for late lunch and cool down. At least I know the roads well enough to know which ones to totally avoid at certain times of day.

• verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    I'm actually sick of how windy this summer has been more than the lower temps and rain, every ride seems to involve a battle in to a headwind at some point, there certainly has been no calm still summer evenings.
  • pblakeney

I'm actually sick of how windy this summer has been more than the lower temps and rain, every ride seems to involve a battle in to a headwind at some point, there certainly has been no calm still summer evenings.

Takes me to my pet hobby horse.
    Less wind if you go out in the early morning.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet

Yes, getting stuck in an annoying weather pattern is really frustrating, particularly if it involves wind every single day and when you've got space to ride. It was the summer of 2012 which drove me to sunnier climes, as that was relentlessly breezy, grey and struggling to get out of the teens. Every single day.
  • pblakeney

Yes, getting stuck in an annoying weather pattern is really frustrating, particularly if it involves wind every single day and when you've got space to ride. It was the summer of 2012 which drove me to sunnier climes, as that was relentlessly breezy, grey and struggling to get out of the teens. Every single day.
    I knew there was a year like that but couldn't remember which. Thanks.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    pblakeney said:

Not in East Yorkshire there isn’t.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153

I remember 2012 as being warm and sunny…right up until the Olympics started.
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397
    I’ve just given up trying to plan life/rides around a decent weather window this year. Haven’t ridden in a short sleeve jersey since May. Today was no exception, long sleeve over short sleeve, over a base layer. Gloves tucked in back pocket. Even started trail running on the really soggy days as it’s more sheltered and dry in the forests.
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

I remember 2012 as being warm and sunny…right up until the Olympics started.

I also had an annoying colleague who, if we had some nice weather before the summer holidays, would go into Eeyore mode and tell us that we'd had our summer already. All too often he was annoyingly right. August is a bit of a rubbish month for weather.
  • webboo
    wavefront said:

I’ve just given up trying to plan life/rides around a decent weather window this year. Haven’t ridden in a short sleeve jersey since May. Today was no exception, long sleeve over short sleeve, over a base layer. Gloves tucked in back pocket. Even started trail running on the really soggy days as it’s more sheltered and dry in the forests.

Where do you live. It’s often been peeing down here but it’s not that cold. Did I mention windy, windy, windy though.
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397
    webboo said:

wavefront said:

Where do you live. It’s often been peeing down here but it’s not that cold. Did I mention windy, windy, windy though.
    NE Scotland. Sorry if I misled slightly, gloves were a precaution today, but certainly with the wind coming off the hills and lots of dampness, it’s felt too cold for me to just go out in short sleeves - has definitely felt mid teens for this ‘summer’. Also I’m not a hardened northerner and tbf my mileage is down this year so perhaps have missed a few warmer opportunities to make my view more balanced.
  • webboo
    wavefront said:

webboo said:

wavefront said:

NE Scotland. Sorry if I misled slightly, gloves were a precaution today, but certainly with the wind coming off the hills and lots of dampness, it’s felt too cold for me to just go out in short sleeves - has definitely felt mid teens for this ‘summer’. Also I’m not a hardened northerner and tbf my mileage is down this year so perhaps have missed a few warmer opportunities to make my view more balanced.
    Mmmmm.
    We went to Lewis in July HebCelt festival. We drove to the Point of Ness one day and we couldn’t believe how grim it was and this was summer. We saw a few folk cycling North as we drove North. Seeing them I thought if that was cycling I’d sell my bikes.😏
  • pblakeney
    webboo said:

pblakeney said:

Less ≠ none. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney
    edited August 2023
    wavefront said:

webboo said:

wavefront said:

Mid teens is base layer and s/s jersey for me. 🤣
    Arm warmers come off if it rises above 15C.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • I am in SE Scotland and have been riding since May in short sleeved jersey and shorts, there have been occasional rides with a windproof jersey required but not been that cold, just rainy and windy the last month.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,088
    webboo said:

pblakeney said:

Or SW Jockland.
    My gripe is that it seems to be an eternal West/North Westerly and if I want to have a TWH, I have to go uphill almost straight away and the loop (if I do a rough figure of 8) is a maximum 26 miles.

@briantrumpet : Leave at 6am surely?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    edited August 2023
    pinno said:

webboo said:

pblakeney said:

Or SW Jockland.
    My gripe is that it seems to be an eternal West/North Westerly and if I want to have a TWH, I have to go uphill almost straight away and the loop (if I do a rough figure of 8) is a maximum 26 miles.

@briantrumpet : Leave at 6am surely?
    Just to prove my point about early mornings. Compare your (roughly) wind forecast for tomorrow. Much better early in the day. 6 mph gusts is nothing to moan about.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,643
    Americans.

Learn to avoid p!ssing and sh!ting all over toilet seats and learn to flush the toilet.

Your “germophobia” you so loudly declared is not an excuse.