Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,604

Pross said:

Pubs pushing to serve alcohol early on Sunday for the football so that supporters can ‘enjoy the full pub experience’. Why do people need to drink alcohol to be able to enjoy a sporting event with friends? They’ll be able to serve from kick off time anyway. If the pubs wanted it so much why didn’t they bite the bullet and apply in time before the semi final anyway? They could then decide if it would be worth opening or not.

You can't tell me anybody watches Cricket sober?
    TBF when a few of us went to the Oval last week we waited until lunchtime before starting on the beers.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602

Pross said:

Pubs pushing to serve alcohol early on Sunday for the football so that supporters can ‘enjoy the full pub experience’. Why do people need to drink alcohol to be able to enjoy a sporting event with friends? They’ll be able to serve from kick off time anyway. If the pubs wanted it so much why didn’t they bite the bullet and apply in time before the semi final anyway? They could then decide if it would be worth opening or not.

Plus who on earth is looking to start drinking beer at 10am on a Sunday morning?
    Been to any airports?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,916
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

You can't tell me anybody watches Cricket sober?
    TBF when a few of us went to the Oval last week we waited until lunchtime before starting on the beers.
    It's statements like these which confirms our reality is in fact a simulation.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,916
    What is real? How do you define 'real'? If you're talking about what you can feel, what you can smell, what you can taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain.

Another cricket fan.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    pangolin said:

Pross said:

Plus who on earth is looking to start drinking beer at 10am on a Sunday morning?
    Been to any airports?
    Or any wetherspoons at breakfast time?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

pangolin said:

Pross said:

Been to any airports?
    Or any wetherspoons at breakfast time?
    Or any rural French cafes/ bars.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Football teams playing in their away unnecessarily.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,028

Football teams playing in their away unnecessarily.

Nobody wants to wear white.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    Possibly one for the irony thread as well. The way the BBC keep pushing women’s football equality but then ask the Lionesses manager about managing the men’s team / Premiership teams.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,694
    The more I watch football, the less I like it.

Desperately needs a shot clock for dead ball situations and a sin bin. Also needs an independent timekeeper with the power to just pause the clock while players have in pitch amputations and funerals and wotnot.
  • First.Aspect
    Team foul counts would also be good. Past a certain number, someone gets sin binned. Works well in basketball.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    You used to get booked for persistent fouling.
    Is that not a thing anymore, or just ignored?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    And FIFA need to look up the term "natural" (as in arm position) and try running around with their arms in any other position. Additionally, a neurologist could be consulted to give FIFA some guidance on human reaction times.

This way the game wouldn't be stopped for 5 minutes while someone decides whether someone no woth their arms in a handcuff position would possibly have avoided a ball travelling at 50mph from a foot away.

VAR could be restricted to full speed replays and a maximum time of 30 seconds as well.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023

And FIFA need to look up the term "natural" (as in arm position) and try running around with their arms in any other position. Additionally, a neurologist could be consulted to give FIFA some guidance on human reaction times.

This way the game wouldn't be stopped for 5 minutes while someone decides whether someone no woth their arms in a handcuff position would possibly have avoided a ball travelling at 50mph from a foot away.

VAR could be restricted to full speed replays and a maximum time of 30 seconds as well.

FIFA have gradually let the handball rule become an utter farce and show no signs of coming to their senses on it.
  • First.Aspect
    Meanwhile, I'm enjoying the athletics. It appears possible to see who gets to a line first without 10 minutes of drawing parallel lined across a still shot of the stadium. What what World Athletics have done is say that the position of one part of the body is all that counts, rather than any one of one's nose, knee, elbow or a strand of hair.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,525

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying the athletics. It appears possible to see who gets to a line first without 10 minutes of drawing parallel lined across a still shot of the stadium. What what World Athletics have done is say that the position of one part of the body is all that counts, rather than any one of one's nose, knee, elbow or a strand of hair.

You've just saved me from reminding people that there's a Football thread.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969

But, but, but...football is trivial and it annoys me. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    pblakeney said:

It is indeed trivial, I only ever pay heed to scores if it enables me to irritate someone that takes it far too seriously. Used to work with a guy that would pull a sicky if Chelsea lost as he was too upset to come in.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787

pblakeney said:

It is indeed trivial, I only ever pay heed to scores if it enables me to irritate someone that takes it far too seriously. Used to work with a guy that would pull a sicky if Chelsea lost as he was too upset to come in.
    He must have been off a fair bit then.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,525
    pblakeney said:

It's just when a comment about it then turns into long threads about the offside rule, or VAR, or hand ball rules, or.. oh god, I'm talking about football now., and that annoys me.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479
    edited August 2023

If offside was judged from the same place all the time as the finish line is then that would be a valid point. I don't like the farting around with VAR much myself but they're not comparable examples.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,505

Desperately needs a shot clock for dead ball situations and a sin bin. Also needs an independent timekeeper with the power to just pause the clock while players have in pitch amputations and funerals and wotnot.

This has sort of been introduced this season in an attempt to reduce (or at least allow for some timewasting)
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • First.Aspect
    Tashman said:

If offside was judged from the same place all the time as the finish line is then that would be a valid point. I don't like the farting around with VAR much myself but they're not comparable examples.
    Fair enough, but if it isn't clear after 10-15 seconds, it should be on side.
  • First.Aspect

This has sort of been introduced this season in an attempt to reduce (or at least allow for some timewasting)
    No, they have just told the referees to actually apply the rules. Happened a couple of years ago at an international tournament but by the end was back down to the normal amount of added time. That will happen this season as well.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,505

No, they have just told the referees to actually apply the rules. Happened a couple of years ago at an international tournament but by the end was back down to the normal amount of added time. That will happen this season as well.
    . . . time will tell (see what I did there?)
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479

Tashman said:

Fair enough, but if it isn't clear after 10-15 seconds, it should be on side.
    That I agree with totally, it's supposed to deal with clear and obvious. If it comes down to mm of separation that's not reasonable for a human to determine in real time then it should remain with the on field decision.
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    The car park is empty but there's always one moron who feels the need to park right next to my car then struggle to get out without banging their door on mine.

Even parking in the furthest away space isn't enough to deter these Muppets.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,604
    mully79 said:

The car park is empty but there's always one moron who feels the need to park right next to my car then struggle to get out without banging their door on mine.

Even parking in the furthest away space isn't enough to deter these Muppets.

Sounds like you need some top tips from yplac.co.uk
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    How bad the "best joke of the fringe" is.
  • First.Aspect

How bad the "best joke of the fringe" is.

Needs to be publishable and short. Hence, dad-joke.

You could have just said the fringe. Or the festival.