Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,088
    rjsterry said:

The transitive verb definition of Waltz:

To lead or force to move in a self-assured or purposeful manner; march eg.

"waltzed them into the principal's office"

The object therefore doesn't need to be walking

But it's an idiom as you know and language is like that.

That doesn't mean you can't grumble about your musical numbers - they're all meaningless to me anyway. Perhaps, someone is walking with a stick - does that help?

It's like physicists complaining about misuse of the word 'inertia', or psychiatrists about 'schizophrenic'.

Just not sure why the word 'waltz' happened to get metaphorised [sic], as it's one which is least suited to walking. Hey, 'march' would do... and 'Marching Matilda' would score on the alliteration front too.
    In a waltz one person is leading the other.

We (pom-pom)
    Are (pom-pom)
    Go-ing (pom)
    This way (pom)
    So 'the more it snows tiddley pom' by AA Milne is actually a Waltz?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    Could go in the car thread but watching a documentary on Snowdon. Good Friday and it was really busy, a load of people parked illegally blocking Llanberis Pass despite all the signs and got towed.

Some woman tourist they interviewed was moaning that the Council should do something as her bus back down to the car park at the bottom was held up. When asked what she would do she said the car park at the top of the pass was too small and should be made bigger. She got asked how you could do that and she said “there’s all this space’ pointing at the lower slopes of the mountain. FFS I can understand people wanting to to climb our biggest mountains even if they tend to be relatively straightforward and over-crowded on the summits but why not just park in one of the many larger car parks at the bottom and climb the whole thing?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    I've never understood people having an ambition to "climb" a mountain only to start 1/2 way up.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,522
    pblakeney said:

I've never understood people having an ambition to "climb" a mountain only to start 1/2 way up.

I've got a super-fit friend who cycles, rows, and runs, and he's of the solid opinion that downhill skiing isn't real skiing, as they don't do the uphill bit, so he does Nordic, if he skis.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    edited August 2023

pblakeney said:

I've got a super-fit friend who cycles, rows, and runs, and he's of the solid opinion that downhill skiing isn't real skiing, as they don't do the uphill bit, so he does Nordic, if he skis.
    Downhill skiing is great fun, but cross country* is too, but in a very different way. When I was about 15 I went out with my Italian cousins and uncle. We got to the top of the ski lifts then carried on climbing on ski's, went over the top and around a half bowl of perfect untouched snow at the top of the Val Vaneggia, we then spent the whole day skiing down the valley, didn't see another soul from the top until we started having to cross roads towards the end. Met my aunt in a car park and she drove us back to where we were staying. A wonderful day I remember well 40years later. We were all talking about it at said uncle's funeral a month ago. Hopefully we can do it again in his memory.

* Not Nordic as we were in the Dolomites
  • Pross
    pblakeney said:

Don’t get it either. Pen y Fan is the worst example of this that I know. That said the Pyg track and other options up Snowdon from the top of Pen y Pass are a lot tougher than the paths from Llanberis albeit shorter. It’s especially tough when it starts 20 miles into a trail marathon and you’ve already climb a mile from the valley bottom though!
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

I take the point but they really are two entirely different aspects of the same sport.
    Then again, I enjoy descending on the bike as I've bloody well earned it. ;)
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    pblakeney said:

For fu(ks sake they are not CLIMBING a mountain they are going for a walk up steep hill.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,522
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

I take the point but they really are two entirely different aspects of the same sport.
    Then again, I enjoy descending on the bike as I've bloody well earned it. ;)

And that's the thing... I enjoy the ascent as much as the descent... I just can't imagine any pleasure in being driven to the top of one of the hills round here just to freewheel back down. No fun at all.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,526
    Pross said:

Could go in the car thread but watching a documentary on Snowdon. Good Friday and it was really busy, a load of people parked illegally blocking Llanberis Pass despite all the signs and got towed.

Some woman tourist they interviewed was moaning that the Council should do something as her bus back down to the car park at the bottom was held up. When asked what she would do she said the car park at the top of the pass was too small and should be made bigger. She got asked how you could do that and she said “there’s all this space’ pointing at the lower slopes of the mountain. FFS I can understand people wanting to to climb our biggest mountains even if they tend to be relatively straightforward and over-crowded on the summits but why not just park in one of the many larger car parks at the bottom and climb the whole thing?

I preferred the walk up the neighbouring mountain which is a very similar height and has no one on it.
  • pblakeney
    webboo said:

pblakeney said:

For fu(ks sake they are not CLIMBING a mountain they are going for a walk up steep hill.
    There was a reason for me putting climb in brackets. Too subtle I guess.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross

Pross said:

I preferred the walk up the neighbouring mountain which is a very similar height and has no one on it.
    Yeah, same here. I haven’t done Snowdonia for walking as I seem to always be up there for a marathon but feel the same in the Beacons. People feel the need for a selfie at the top of the biggest for their Instagram feed though so they can feel epic despite driving as far up as possible and those hills generally being a more straightforward walk.

The same TV programme had people queuing for an hour at the top for the final 20m climb to have a photo at the trig then getting irate at ‘queue jumpers’ who simply scaled the rocks to to touch the trig.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,643
    Has anyone had any success dealing with Indian scam calls?

I'm getting 2 or 3 a day now.
  • pblakeney

Block them; only answer known numbers, if it's important they'll leave a message.
    That's how I deal with it but doesn't help in your line of work.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    Same here, I don't answer and see if they leave a message then look up the number. You usually find it listed on something like Who Called Me and I then block the number. I don't get many luckily, I think you tend to get more if you answer one. If you have a landline sign up to the telephone preference scheme, it won't stop scams but does stop more 'legitimate' spam calling.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,603
    As mentioned above, plus if any do get through, tell them that you need to answer the door and just leave them hanging on the line.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    Stevo_666 said:

As mentioned above, plus if any do get through, tell them that you need to answer the door and just leave them hanging on the line.

Yes, this is a minor act of public service preventing them from scamming anyone else for a few minutes.

If I'm out and about and not doing anything else, I also ask them to confirm some details that they would definitely know if they were real, and see how long it takes for them to swear at me and hang up.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Winding up scammers is always entertaining if you have the time, as KG says keeping them busy is a minor public service. I've often been told I'm a very bad man before they put the phone down, once I had one that was too slow hanging up and tried to argue when I told him I'm not the thief.
  • rick_chasey

Winding up scammers is always entertaining if you have the time, as KG says keeping them busy is a minor public service. I've often been told I'm a very bad man before they put the phone down, once I had one that was too slow hanging up and tried to argue when I told him I'm not the thief.

Yes this is tempting, though I have read stories of scammers getting their own back and it's pretty brutal.
  • Stevo_666

Yes this is tempting, though I have read stories of scammers getting their own back and it's pretty brutal.
    Such as?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

Such as?
    Having a machine call and text them repeatedly from different numbers for weeks on end.

One was a policeman who in his spare time used to wind them up and try to reverse scam them; he ended up getting death threats through the letterbox and ultimately the scammer was in another country so he couldn't do much.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Such as?
    Having a machine call and text them repeatedly from different numbers for weeks on end.
    OK - when you said 'brutal', I thought you meant something like coming round to your house armed with a machete.
  • rick_chasey
    Fair enough.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    I don't understand why they don't hang up the instant you aren't completely credulous. They could improve their efficiency massively by only keeping on the line for those who might end up letting them control their online banking.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479

A acme thunderer is my dad's preferred method
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Tashman said:

I own a couple of acme thunderers.

Cheered me up no end when I learned Acme was a real company.

Was tempted to buy an Anvil.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,088
    morstar said:

Tashman said:

...and a catapult and a road stop kit?

What I don't understand is why he didn't just buy a KFC. Surely cheaper than ACME kits.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479
    pinno said:

morstar said:

Tashman said:

...and a catapult and a road stop kit?

What I don't understand is why he didn't just buy a KFC. Surely cheaper than ACME kits.
    I assume you mean Wile E. Coyote rather than my dad :D Although he's partial to a bucket too
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,196
    The Cycling Podcast when Birnie and Friebe just blether on and on and... ok so journalists get paid by the word but FFS think about your audio audience. Richard Moore RIP would have controlled it better.

Luke and G, a much better listen. And even the wordy Mitch Docker doesn't go on and on so much.
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904

I answer the phone but say absolutely nothing until they hang up.