Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,908
    Stevo_666 said:

Starmer is a suspect for being AI on that basis. Although combining leftie and intelligence makes me suspicious.

Outrageous!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    edited July 2023

To be fair, AI just tells you what it thinks you want to hear, regardless of whether it is based on fact or not.

As exemplified by the Sunak model. 🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,908
    Intelligent matter in a million, billion years time? Earth at 4.5bn/Universe at 13.8 years of age, we know that is out there.

What state has it evolved to? Fascinating.

Annoyance, I haven't got a time machine.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195

Annoyance, I haven't got a time machine.

But the Muskrat has one. Don't you know? Thought you were a big fanboi.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,150
    Many of the nicknames for national sporting teams, especially some of the ‘feminised’ names for women’s teams. The Waltzing Matildas is probably the pick of the bunch.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479
    MrBeast being in my various newsfeeds. I had no idea of his existence until he fell out with people over a burger. Bizarre that it needs to be reported in UK news outlets.
  • Pross said:

Many of the nicknames for national sporting teams, especially some of the ‘feminised’ names for women’s teams. The Waltzing Matildas is probably the pick of the bunch.

I don't know why I know what the expression "waltzing matilda" means but it does my head in that they have chosen it. I of course appreciate they may have done it ironically.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,521

Pross said:

I don't know why I know what the expression "waltzing matilda" means but it does my head in that they have chosen it. I of course appreciate they may have done it ironically.

It annoys me that Waltzing Matilda is in 4/4, so definitely not a waltz.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,525

Pross said:

Waltz as in walk.
  • briantrumpet

Pross said:

Waltz as in walk.

Well, that's annoying too, being silly metaphor, as you can't walk in 3/4, unless you're Jake The Peg.
  • TheBigBean

Pross said:

Waltz as in walk.

Well, that's annoying too, being silly metaphor, as you can't walk in 3/4, unless you're Jake The Peg.
    Matilda isn't a person.
  • briantrumpet

Pross said:

Waltz as in walk.

Matilda isn't a person.

What's it doing walking then? Swag bags can't walk at all. This gets more annoying by the minute.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waltzing_Matilda

• TheBigBean
    The transitive verb definition of Waltz:

To lead or force to move in a self-assured or purposeful manner; march eg.

"waltzed them into the principal's office"

The object therefore doesn't need to be walking

But it's an idiom as you know and language is like that.

That doesn't mean you can't grumble about your musical numbers - they're all meaningless to me anyway. Perhaps, someone is walking with a stick - does that help?
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,686
    At least the Aussies haven't abbreviated either waltzing or matildas, and we don't have to hear about the waltzies or the matties, with an annoying upward inflection.
  • First.Aspect
    Premier league clubs complaining that the Saudis are inflating transfer fees.
  • briantrumpet

That doesn't mean you can't grumble about your musical numbers - they're all meaningless to me anyway. Perhaps, someone is walking with a stick - does that help?

It's like physicists complaining about misuse of the word 'inertia', or psychiatrists about 'schizophrenic'.

Just not sure why the word 'waltz' happened to get metaphorised [sic], as it's one which is least suited to walking. Hey, 'march' would do... and 'Marching Matilda' would score on the alliteration front too.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,088

It's like physicists complaining about misuse of the word 'inertia', or psychiatrists about 'schizophrenic'.

Just not sure why the word 'waltz' happened to get metaphorised [sic], as it's one which is least suited to walking. Hey, 'march' would do... and 'Marching Matilda' would score on the alliteration front too.
    In a waltz one person is leading the other.

We (pom-pom)
    Are (pom-pom)
    Go-ing (pom)
    This way (pom)
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • First.Aspect

Am surprised we've not had any etymology yet Brian.
  • briantrumpet

I'm not really interested in insects.
  • TheBigBean

You can be trivially annoyed by whatever you like, but a word meaning that has been around much longer than you feels like one you could let slide.

Personally, I prefer waltzing Matilda to the more modern equivalent which is travelling.
  • First.Aspect
    edited August 2023
    Waltzing came from the German to revolve.

Was he lost? Would explain a lot.
  • First.Aspect

I'm not really interested in insects.
    Why are the two words so similar anyway?
  • First.Aspect

You can be trivially annoyed by whatever you like, but a word meaning that has been around much longer than you feels like one you could let slide.

Personally, I prefer waltzing Matilda to the more modern equivalent which is travelling.
    Waltzing matilda isn't all that much older than Brian I don't think.

It is a boomer song.
  • pblakeney
    Brian is older than I thought! :D

"The original lyrics were composed in 1895 by Australian poet Banjo Paterson, to a tune played by Christina Macpherson."
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    I watched 'highlights' of 'the Matildas' winning a game. Fair bit of waltzing going on there. Def not full moneypansyball like wot blokes do for stupid amounts of money.
  • briantrumpet

Oh, I'm quite happy to let it slide, along with all sorts of other language things that trivially annoy me. I do know it's trivial.

If it's any consolation, I can equally be on the 'FFS, give it up' team when someone bangs on about a pet peeve, especially one where the thing they complain about (e.g. the insistence on 'fewer' for countable things) isn't based on anything other than taste/prejudice.
  • TheBigBean

Waltzing matilda isn't all that much older than Brian I don't think.

It is a boomer song.
    You're right. It was composed in 1895.

(No doubt the term had been around quite a bit before the song)
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,088
    Can someone sum up the last 200 posts please?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    pinno said:

It's trivial.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,600
    pinno said:

CakeStopBollox.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]