Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    Isn’t that the point of royals nowadays?

I can’t think of any speech or proclaim the royals says that isn’t that.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

Isn’t that the point of royals nowadays?

I can’t think of any speech or proclaim the royals says that isn’t that.

I have no idea as it is very rare that anything they do crosses my radar
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,666
    BBC iPlayer interface for Glastonbury.
    Click on link that says "live - pyramid stage" and begin to watch something that was recorded earlier, whilst thinking the schedule is running late, only to find out you are watching the wrong feed and the band you wanted to watch is halfway through their set on the actual "live" feed.
    They could have made it so much better,

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    The talk of music recently and watching Elton's set reminded me of this one. Songs that sample another song but cut the important part (for lack of a better description). That mash up of Elton songs recently has it where they never quite sing Rocket Man but the worst offender is probably Dario G's Sunchyme that never quite gets around to completing the chorus of Life In A Northern Town. It's very frustrating, almost like sex without the orgasm.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Pross said:

The talk of music recently and watching Elton's set reminded me of this one. Songs that sample another song but cut the important part (for lack of a better description). That mash up of Elton songs recently has it where they never quite sing Rocket Man but the worst offender is probably Dario G's Sunchyme that never quite gets around to completing the chorus of Life In A Northern Town. It's very frustrating, almost like sex without the orgasm.

Is that what Sting used to do?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    Then again, Sunchyme is an absolute belter. And the soundtrack to Orla's dance in Derry Girls.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084

Prince William the virtue signalling tvvat will soon be as bad as his brother. He literally owns hundreds (maybe thousands) of properties and hundreds of thousands of acres and with immunity to planning rules he is literally one of the few people in the country who can make a difference to homelessness.

Yet he diverts £3m in one of his foundations and everybody treats him as a hero

Can you think of way to build lots of social housing without first owning lots of land? Housing Associations and Local Authorities also own thousands of properties and tend to not look after them very well - see Grenfell or numerous other examples. If he wants to become a significant provider then he can't do any worse.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pross
    Reading a LinkedIn article by a supposed professional where he states "this could almost certainly be causing the problem". Well, that's cleared that up then with absolutely no hedging his bets.
  • surrey_commuter
    rjsterry said:

Prince William the virtue signalling tvvat will soon be as bad as his brother. He literally owns hundreds (maybe thousands) of properties and hundreds of thousands of acres and with immunity to planning rules he is literally one of the few people in the country who can make a difference to homelessness.

Can you think of way to build lots of social housing without first owning lots of land? Housing Associations and Local Authorities also own thousands of properties and tend to not look after them very well - see Grenfell or numerous other examples. If he wants to become a significant provider then he can't do any worse.
    how many spare bedrooms do you reckon he has?
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

Let's say he has 20 in the properties he directly uses. Why is it that remotely relevant? It's not going to make a meaningful dent in homelessness just by opening those up to the first 20 guys hanging around outside Liverpool Street.
    The vast majority of the Duchy's property will already be let to tenants. If he wants to develop more social housing on some of the estate land that sounds like a good idea, especially in the South West.

Obviously much easier to sneer and give yourself a pat on the back for it.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,666
    People ignoring my sage advice.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• surrey_commuter
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Let's say he has 20 in the properties he directly uses. Why is it that remotely relevant? It's not going to make a meaningful dent in homelessness just by opening those up to the first 20 guys hanging around outside Liverpool Street.
    The vast majority of the Duchy's property will already be let to tenants. If he wants to develop more social housing on some of the estate land that sounds like a good idea, especially in the South West.

Obviously much easier to sneer and give yourself a pat on the back for it.
    are you alright hun?
  • rjsterry
    edited June 2023
    Fine, yes thanks.

You and your republican chip?

🙂
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,511
    The most extreme fill-the-box-up-with-air packaging of chocolate I've seen yet. Enough to see if I can goad the manufacturers into responding.

Apologies for sharing my own tweet.
  • rick_chasey
    All metal drinks cans have a plastic lining, so it annoys me they’re sold as a more sustainable alternative to plastic bottled.

They’re metal AND plastic!
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,878
    Aluminium is much more recyclable than plastic though (ie can be recycled almost indefinitely). I doubt the thin liner is much different to the paint on the outside, which needs removing anyway.
  • Pross
    I'm sure Pinno will be able to give some detail
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 667
    And what happens to the cans with those plastic widgets in them?
  • Pross
    Always makes be laugh when the recycling collection teams won't take items because they haven't been washed (ours are alright for this). Surely everything goes through and industrial cleaning process as part of the recycling?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086
    Pross said:

Always makes be laugh when the recycling collection teams won't take items because they haven't been washed (ours are alright for this). Surely everything goes through and industrial cleaning process as part of the recycling?

Yes but food residue attracts rodents and smells distract the local nimby population.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    monkimark said:

Aluminium is much more recyclable than plastic though (ie can be recycled almost indefinitely). I doubt the thin liner is much different to the paint on the outside, which needs removing anyway.

The plastic lining is very thin and the initial process before melting involves a step:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmMP67eC2tg
  • briantrumpet
    Quelle surprise, they don't own up to it being a con to make you think you're not buying just 4oz. of chocolate by filling the box up with air. I suppose the air in the plastic envelopes is recyclable.

Thank you for sharing your concerns with us, but our flow wraps are recyclable when taken to larger supermarket stores and popped in the 'soft plastics' recycling bags. 😻 ♻️ The films ensure that our award winning truffles are protected whilst preserving their shelf life.
  • pinno

Quelle surprise, they don't own up to it being a con to make you think you're not buying just 4oz. of chocolate by filling the box up with air. I suppose the air in the plastic envelopes is recyclable.

Thank you for sharing your concerns with us, but our flow wraps are recyclable when taken to larger supermarket stores and popped in the 'soft plastics' recycling bags. 😻 ♻️ The films ensure that our award winning truffles are protected whilst preserving their shelf life.
    Bollox ^.

• briantrumpet
    pinno said:

Bollox ^.

Absolutemently. Maybe someone else will reply to my tweet pointing that out...
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,683
    Brian, if you are purchasing "award winning truffles", you've already been taken for a ride.

A large box of mostly air is merely the lapel flower that squirts water, worn by the clown that's just pinched your nose.
  • briantrumpet

Brian, if you are purchasing "award winning truffles", you've already been taken for a ride.

A large box of mostly air is merely the lapel flower that squirts water, worn by the clown that's just pinched your nose.

Twas a gift, so I didn't inspect the mare's dentition.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,683

Twas a gift, so I didn't inspect the mare's dentition.
    That's some consolation, surely?

• rick_chasey
    edited June 2023
    Last day of train journeys for the first half of the year and so far I’ve only had one week which has not had at least one delay or cancellation.

Remarkably bad.

(Typed on a delayed train, naturally)
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479
    When Tashwife unloads the dishwasher

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    That is not trivial