Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    Here: Many people prefer to line their caddy with a compostable liner but this is not essential. When purchasing liners, please remember to look out for the compostable logo. Alternatively you can place food in the caddies loose or wrapped in paper or newspaper.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Thanks for confirming KG, thought that was still the case in our neck of the woods
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086
    There are advantages and disadvantages of anaerobic digestion and within this article, this explains the pro's and con's of each type of composting.

https://blog.anaerobic-digestion.com/anaerobic-digestion-vs-composting/

However, in the US, they have industrial size Wormery's and worm 'cast' is a fantastic fertiliser.
    It's another level and something we need to start doing as it can really boost yield significantly. Given the price of food and the constant addition of fertilizers and nitrates into soils, it would make a lot of sense. It's also organic.
    Worm cast in the US is worth a fortune and the market is growing. Funnily enough, the legalisation of Cannabis in certain states has accelerated the demand for worm cast.
    As usual, we are a bit behind.

https://brotherswormfarm.com/products/bulk-worm-castings#:~:text=1 ton of Brothers Worm,$600 to $1200 plus shipping.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,666
    It really annoys me that across all the Councils and Local Authorities in the UK that there is no one standardised recycling system. Each have their own "do's" and "don'ts" and each have their own colour recycling boxes and bags etc. It's a wonder that people actually recycle at all. Why not make it simple and all follow the same system. The saving on having a standardised set of boxes or bins would be huge I'd imagine.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• kingstongraham
    Where my parents are, the landfill bin is green. That annoys me.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,666
    This is totally crap and is an example of how crap the UK is at dealing with recycleable waste.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-65965368

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,878
    My recycling bin (and my neighbours either side )is green but my neighbours across the road have black bins with blue lids. I always doubt myself and see what looks like landfill bins out on recycling collection day.

My wife's parents have a box to put paper in but paper also goes in the regular recycling wheelie bin. I had to put their bins out last week and had to call for advice!

Where my parents are, the landfill bin is green. That annoys me.

• verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Martin Lewis.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969

This is totally censored and is an example of how censored the UK is at dealing with recycleable waste.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-65965368

I'm just back from Germany where this proposal is already in place. I cannot fathom why there is so much pushback in this country. I'm guessing a lack of profit or laziness.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,511
    pinno said:

Newspaper?
    I think I remember them

It makes me realise how ahead of their time my parents were: all the stinky rubbish from the kitchen pedal bin would be emptied onto old newspapers (Daily Telegraph, natch) spread out on the kitchen floor, then would be bundled up and put into the dustbin. No plastic involved.
    ...whereafter it ended up in landfill.

Actually they were probably 1) copying what their parents did 2) too tight to want to pay for bin bags. Times were 'ard, etc...
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,683

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Food waste bins in this weather. Fine one day; seething with maggots the next.

I've given up on them which is a shame. Either they are open which gets flies everywhere or closed and then everything turns to water and leaks. Maybe I don't have enough waste.

Even better when they have a late collection for no obvious reason so your fetid little breeding ground is sat out front for a day and a half like some perverse sacrificial offering.
    We have a communal food waste bin. Somehow people manage to put plastic bags in it and various other non food stuff. That's also annoying.
    If I moved in I would do the same as where I live you put food waste in plastic bags in the food caddy
    You're supposed to put them in biodegradable liners. You would also need to ignore the large signs.
    Aren't those biodegradable liners biodegradable over such a long period that it's pretty much a misnomer?
    No.
    Ah, this summarises what I was thinking of...

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/do-biodegradable-plastic-bags-actually-biodegrade-180972074/

Depends where they end up. Anyone who has been there can pretty much confirm that Plymouth sound is anoxic.
    That's a plastic bag not a caddy liner. As noted above, liners in closed caddies leak, because they degrade.
    It's the same material.
    The ones from Sainsbury's are certified to EN 13432 which states they must biodegrade in an industrial composter by 90% in 6 months.
    Plymouth sound isn't compliant with en13432. Neither are a lot of composting waste disposal sites, I suspect.

By Plymouth Sound do you mean the sea or something else?
    Sorry I'm doing an RC and expecting you to have read the article.

I mean the ocean. Or anywhere that this type of plastic ends up that isn't the right environment to biodegrade. I think I fell asleep to a podcast recently about this issue, with the take home message that what you might think biodegradable means isn't what it means in practice.

I suppose the analogy is real world MPG, vs what VW claim you can get.
  • kingstongraham

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

I've given up on them which is a shame. Either they are open which gets flies everywhere or closed and then everything turns to water and leaks. Maybe I don't have enough waste.

Even better when they have a late collection for no obvious reason so your fetid little breeding ground is sat out front for a day and a half like some perverse sacrificial offering.
    We have a communal food waste bin. Somehow people manage to put plastic bags in it and various other non food stuff. That's also annoying.
    If I moved in I would do the same as where I live you put food waste in plastic bags in the food caddy
    You're supposed to put them in biodegradable liners. You would also need to ignore the large signs.
    Aren't those biodegradable liners biodegradable over such a long period that it's pretty much a misnomer?
    No.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/do-biodegradable-plastic-bags-actually-biodegrade-180972074/

Depends where they end up. Anyone who has been there can pretty much confirm that Plymouth sound is anoxic.
    That's a plastic bag not a caddy liner. As noted above, liners in closed caddies leak, because they degrade.
    It's the same material.
    The ones from Sainsbury's are certified to EN 13432 which states they must biodegrade in an industrial composter by 90% in 6 months.
    Plymouth sound isn't compliant with en13432. Neither are a lot of composting waste disposal sites, I suspect.

I mean the ocean. Or anywhere that this type of plastic ends up that isn't the right environment to biodegrade. I think I fell asleep to a podcast recently about this issue, with the take home message that what you might think biodegradable means isn't what it means in practice.

Yeah, not sure that's relevant to lining a food waste bin.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    Stick it all (bar bones if you iz that sort of meat eater) in the big black dalek composter bins. Job done. (Though put chicken wire netting across the base to deter Mr Roland R and gang.)
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397

Martin Lewis.

Really? Even if you don’t like him, listen to him as he talks a lot of sense and gives plenty of very good / sound advice and I’d say certainly helped us save money!
  • First.Aspect

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

No.

It's the same material.

It is if you think you are doing it so the bag will compost, and it won't because your council doesn't take them and they end up not composting in landfill.

• mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    Having to faff about sourcing and fitting my own bolts to secure the flapping under tray as the VW main dealer hasn’t bothered to fit it properly on the cars first service !
  • kingstongraham

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

No.

It's the same material.

It is if you think you are doing it so the bag will compost, and it won't because your council doesn't take them and they end up not composting in landfill.

I'm hoping the council is at least not dumping them in the sea.
  • pinno
    mully79 said:

Having to faff about sourcing and fitting my own bolts to secure the flapping under tray as the VW main dealer hasn’t bothered to fit it properly on the cars first service !

You need a handful of these:

https://brotherswormfarm.com/products/bulk-worm-castings#:~:text=1 ton of Brothers Worm,$600 to $1200 plus shipping.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    Our Council is starting to roll out 3 weekly collection of non-recyclable waste. Since we moved here in 1999 we’ve gone from weekly to fortnightly collections and the bin size has gone from 240 litres to 160 and then to 120. I’ve got no problem with them reducing things again but would rather they drop the bin size to 80 litres than reducing the frequency of collections. There’ll nearly always be something in a bin that will get more and more smelly at this time of year that can’t go in the weekly recycling so 3 weeks just feels too long.
  • pinno
    orraloon said:

Stick it all (bar bones if you iz that sort of meat eater) in the big black dalek composter bins. Job done. (Though put chicken wire netting across the base to deter Mr Roland R and gang.)

They really are not the best things for composting and they can produce methane.
    The best ratio is 10% kitchen waste and the rest green waste.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    edited June 2023

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

No.

It's the same material.

If they are burning them then they aren't ending up in landfill or the sea. There's an argument that controlled combustion is the least environmentally harmful form of disposal for a lot of stuff that is difficult or impossible to recycle.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    pinno said:

orraloon said:

They really are not the best things for composting and they can produce methane.
    The best ratio is 10% kitchen waste and the rest green waste.
    Seem to work for me, and yes mostly garden waste esp in the warmer months, vegetable peelings etc, bar that I don't have a lot of actual food stuff to insert. Woodburner ash in the winter. All seems to compost down.

Can produce midgies though, certainly this past week 😉
  • First.Aspect
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

No.

It's the same material.

If they are burning them then they aren't ending up in landfill or the sea. There's an argument that controlled combustion is the least environmentally harmful form of disposal for a lot of stuff that is difficult or impossible to recycle.
    Depends if you use the heat for anything really.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

No.

It's the same material.

Depends if you use the heat for anything really.

Sure, but not difficult to bolt a CHP unit on the back. They are pretty tried and tested tech. Our local rubbish incinerator heats a few hundred local homes. People moan about the emissions but strangely not about the emissions and groundwater contamination from landfill. Probably all the moaners have non DEFRA approved wood burning stoves.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    edited June 2023
    mully79 said:

Is this a common VW thing? I seem to see VW golf’s with a flapping scraping under tray reasonably frequently.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    morstar said:

mully79 said:

Is this a common VW thing? I seem to see VW golf’s with a flapping scraping under tray reasonably frequently.
    The fasteners corrode over time and literally fall off. Took my wife's Polo about 9 or 10 years to happen. Doubt it is only VW though. First service? Dodgy mechanics, don't return.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033
    Woke up to no landline internet this morning, guess exchange had lightning strike, as up road with different ISP was dead too. Came back ~1400 and seemed back to normal all day, until it died again ~2030.

Now possibly stuck on prepaid 24GB Three data SIM for up to two days. Yay.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,901
    Summer Solstice. The gradual dimming.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    Inconsistent bike geometry charts.

My geometry may not be the strongest, but the effective top tube I'm getting for Canyon Endurace's, computed as reach + stack/tan(seatpost angle), are off by a full cm from Canyon's own "top tube". And yes, I'm sure my angle is in radians, thanks for asking, because the numbers I get in other bikes are accurate to within a mm.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    Obviously Cambridge has quite an influential cycling lobbying group called CamCycle.

I really don't seem to understand them.

Growing up, they were populated by exclusively vehicular cyclist types.

Having returned, they seem to be addicted to lobbying for very expensive infrastructure at road junctions (for example, Britian's first "Dutch" style roundabout, which just confuses everyone and causes more accidents as a result https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-65310167) at the expense of more common sense, sensible options.

I've written to them before asking for some sensible suggestions (literally painting two bike boxes at a busy junction) and all they do is ask for money.

I've seen the members about - almost all socks and sandals types.